• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Goggle Fogging and Desiccant Packs

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Has anyone ever tried placing a desiccant pack in their goggles to absorb moisture? I test fitted one of the plastic ones (from an aspirin bottle) in my Scott goggles and it fits snugly between the lens and frame in the upper middle part of the goggle and is barely noticeable.

1582639871702.png

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The issue with your idea is that once the desiccant becomes fully saturated with moisture, it doesn't dry any more. They are only effective in a sealed environment. The capsule in your goggles is already fully saturated from just being out in the open air.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Probably true tuneman. I saw some info like that when googling around After I started this thread. Still would be curious to hear from anyone who may have tried it. I saw some soft packs that change colors as they begin absorbing moisture

As far as how does the moisture get in there in the first place, well, chit happens, snow flies and I am alive, riding in all conditions at all levels of exertion.

I am aware of the 509 Ignite and Aboms and am considering those options as well but it will probably be an off season purchase in hopes there will be some good sales.

Feb 8, 2020
In theory, it should work, but I'm no expert on this subject. Maybe ask someone who sells goggles directly, maybe they have a different suggestion to how you can get rid of the fogginess.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am only curious if anyone has tried using the desiccant packs. The likleyhood of it working is probably very low, but still curious.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
You have to do it before every ride but dawn dish soap works well for anti fog. Rub it on, let it dry for a minute then buff it off. You smell like the dishwasher but sometimes that isnt a bad thing...

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
So far I'm really happy with my ignite goggles. I've had a couple days that have kind of tested them but I still haven't had a super hardcore day. But at least on the kind of days, I have been really happy with how well they work. I look forward to using them on the hardcore days and seeing how it goes. I have no reason to believe it won't still be awesome.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I tried the dessicant capsule and it may have helped but the conditions were not bad enough to come to any conclusion just yet.

As I said before, I am probably going to get a pair of the heated goggles in the off season.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
ABOM heated is the only way to go. Last all day easy to charge fit is good. I'm very happy with them.
I would have bought the ABOM, but they don't have the little nose guard, which for me is a must.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I thought that also. I have a breath box with the guard. Works great with my ABOM's and my Viper Pro's just remove the nose piece. Klim makes a head sock with a nose guard in it also. I need my nose covered also because of passed frostbite it gets cold super fast.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I would have bought the ABOM, but they don't have the little nose guard, which for me is a must.

I was worried about that too but after a season with them now I never missed it. On colder days I just use a facemask up over my nose.

But I did ride with lots of people that use the 509 Ignites and they were happy with those as well.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
truly, it is not JUST a goggle thing. you need a GREAT (not just good) balaclava, with a built in breath deflector, and get rid of the helmet based deflectors. klim arctic (colder days), and klim glacier (warmer days) work well for this. you need a good goggle to helmet seal, to not allow snow dust into your lid, face area. AND YOU NEED A GOOD GOGGLE TO FACE SEAL. finally, you need a good dual pane, vented lens.

for the most part, with all these items, the only days you have that will be bad, are freezing rain, misty days.

i used to be a hardcore spy goggle guy, they worked very well for me, for a long time. then on a fluke i bought my wife a pair of 100% dual pane vented goggles. after that, we both switched over to the 100% racecraft goggles and lenses. she prefers the snow goggles with the larger foam gaskets, while i prefer the normal framed/foamed mx racecraft's. their blue mirror lens is my goto, in most situations. the green mirror is great for flat light days, chrome mirror for bright bluebird days, and clear for the night ride home.

as you can see, this is mostly based on personal preference and goggle to face/helmet contact... your results may vary. Ski

Premium Features