• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Give me the run down on shasta

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Never been before, tried google searching but didn't come up with much.

What snopark is highest elevation?

What areas have the best riding?

Overnight parking ok at snopark?

Boundaries?

Pm me with the good stuff!

Heath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2008
Bunny flat parking area is highest at about 7k. Weather station says about 200" so plenty deep. Take a look at the map on the bathroom that outlines wilderness vs legal riding area. No grooming in the area but some really cool terrain can be easily had.
Can park overnight if that is what you are looking to do.

There are several other areas off of Hwy 97 (Deer Mt.) or outside of McCloud (Pilgrim Creek) that have developed snowmobile parks. If you google you can get intel on those 2. They drop off about 5k and access country between 5-7k elevation. Miles and miles of trails and some fun play areas.

With the storms this last week, anything over 5k ought to be hoot and plenty deep.

There are other undeveloped areas, but it wouldn't be advisable to venture without someone who knows them.

Good luck and enjoy.

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Heath provided great info. Are you looking at coming down this season?

I would add that Bunny Flat is very limited. Coverage is amazing on the mountain currently.

Deer Mtn you drive up the road about 1/2 mile an unload at the snow line. Still plenty of snow to ride that area. I unloaded there on Friday and there was 1 1/2 feet of new and it has continued to snow since Friday. Ash Creek Butte has some good areas to ride.

Pilgrim Creek you have to drive past the park but I heard once you unload at the snow line, the snow depth is still great.

Riding out of Pilgrim Cr and Deer Mtn you access the same areas.

Currently access to the Eddies, mtns on west side of I5, is poor. Lots of south facing pavement so you have to ride lots of bare pavement. Once snow melts out you can drive to snow line and unload. Eddies, in my opinion, are our best riding areas.

Kale

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
All good info. I hope you aren't planning on coming all the way down from Bend just to ride Mt. Shasta though. Like said, it's limited. They ruined that mt. when they made about 99% of it wilderness above the tree line. We get one little draw to ride compared to the huge amount of mt. it is. It's gorgeous country, but all that is available to ride on Mt. Shasta itself takes about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day. The other areas have some fun stuff, but they are kind of on the flanks of the Mt. Or completely east of it. Except for the Eddies and the Castle Craig's areas. I've never ridden those areas and I admit I like to go ride Mt. Shasta but only go when the snow levels are so high I can't ride around Susanville anymore. I usually only go once a year at the end of the riding season.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Give me the run down on the eddies too, where do you park? I've heard the riding there is awesome.

I'm just looking for somewhere close to go for a weekend in the next few weeks.

Can you ride the ski park once it closes?

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Can't help with the other areas, but a couple of years ago I called the ski park and asked if we could ride through up to the forest service after they had closed for the year and they said no.

Premium Features