• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GGB new Quiet can

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
My question is why this can is being pushed as a quiet can? Not a word on sound level tests. Colorado, among other states, has established decible levels and standard test procedures. This question can be answered. What is the sound pressure level, on what scale at what distance at what RPM? Does this can meet any known standard?

We should all ask if 2 horsepower or even 5 HP worth pushing law enforcement and anti-use proponents into action? Even if there is an objective difference, I doubt you can tell it outside sanctioned competition situations. On the mountain, its all in your mind from noise and the money you spent.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Let me know what you think of it Trashy.
My local BRP tech suggested this can to me as a replacement for my OEM.
My dealer added one to their “next order”. Doesn’t look like I will be trying one till next season now. I have grown to really hate the SSI can I currently am using. It’s loud and sounds terrible, especially at idle and on cold stars. Seems to make ok power tho.

My question is why this can is being pushed as a quiet can? Not a word on sound level tests. Colorado, among other states, has established decible levels and standard test procedures. This question can be answered. What is the sound pressure level, on what scale at what distance at what RPM? Does this can meet any known standard?

We should all ask if 2 horsepower or even 5 HP worth pushing law enforcement and anti-use proponents into action? Even if there is an objective difference, I doubt you can tell it outside sanctioned competition situations. On the mountain, its all in your mind from noise and the money you spent.

They all lose power compared to a stock
silencer. A larger volume can (read: physical size) has a good chance of losing less so it makes sense that this quiet can may not lose much.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
They all lose power compared to a stock
silencer. A larger volume can (read: physical size) has a good chance of losing less so it makes sense that this quiet can may not lose much.[/QUOTE]

This has been proven to be a false statement, well except for GGB so far. yes, all GGB cans until this one loses 5 HP on an 850. We do not know if this current version loses or gains.

There are several cans for the 850 that have proven to gain 1-2HP.

Ultimately if we lose 10 lbs and break even on HP we are all happy.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
What length of a dyno pull?

Anything that accurately represents what we do with a sled in deep snow on a climb?

I agree with you on being happy if it’s lighter and close to even. The biggest gain is being able to warm up my lunch. :)

B
Feb 5, 2018
I’m gonna try one. I will report back.

I grabbed one just over a month ago. Only got one ride out of it before the season ended. I don't think it's exactly as advertised.

I knew it wasn't going to be stock sound, as much as they say it is. They are right, the idle is nice. Slightly deeper than stock and a good tone. Not too loud. Throughout the RPM midrange it sounds close to stock (as much as I can tell when riding or standing beside it). When the raves open it is quite a bit louder than stock which is not what the say or what I expected. A buddy I ride with said it sounded comparable to the MBRP trail can that I rode beside at WOT. I don't consider the MBRP very quiet, or I would have just bought that. When you're riding in deep snow, your Rave valves aren't closed too often. This is where I wanted the sled to be quiet like they advertised.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
So a bit louder.... that's fair enough I guess. Did the sled run well? Any power drop off? And did it sound good (as in NOT tinny or like something is broken etc etc...)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm kinda fussy. And its summer....

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I wish manufacturers were required to provide real dB test result numbers instead of "clips" that provide little help in judging the loudness of a can.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Totally agree – a Youtube clip is only useful to tell you if a can is nasty loud or not, and can easily hide resonances at certain RPM/loading. I nixed my SLP can (on an older sled, so it was noisier than their newer ones) mostly because it had a horrible mid-range drone. Wide open, it actually wasn't much worse than stock.

Anyway, it'd take someone independent spending tons of time and money on a dyno with a decibel meter to get a true, subjective comparison. As it is, there's just no way to compare except in person. I think what we all want is a can as light as possible with no power loss and the same or less noise. Should be possible: somehow OEM cans are gaining weight if anything. It seems, however, like every claim made about aftermarket cans (other than weight, which you'll get called out on) is exaggerated.

D
Mar 23, 2010
Boulder, CO
Anyone have more feedback on this or other "quiet cans? My 850 came with a GGB Mountain can, and it is making me deaf.

The MBRP Trail cans I have on the older 800s are pretty damn loud too.

Thanks,

C
Aug 16, 2013
I picked up the trail can. It’s loud on the trail and drones like crazy. But it’s fine once in the mtns. Doesn’t bug me once I’m playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features