• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting the Spider Loose

A
Dec 11, 2007
I have a 1999 RMK 700 which I let friends and family ride. One of the rollers in the clutch flat sided. I built a clutch holder and a spider wrench. The spider won't budge even using about a 3ft cheater bar as leverage. Someone suggested using heat to free things up. Is heat a good idea or should I try something else?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Heat is the way to go, the factory uses locktite on the spider threads and the heat will loosen that up. Don't get to carried away, try a propane torch first and if you do use an acetylene torch be carefull, you can melt the aluminum. :face-icon-small-dis

F
Nov 20, 2012
I had the same problem on my 700 but luckily I work at sled shop so I brought it in to see if one of our techs could get it... Sadly even with a 12 foot cheater it wouldn't budge... kept trying more heat and longer cheaters... Got to damn near red hot and with the 12 foot cheater ended up breaking the spider in half... The really ****ty news is polaris discontinued the spider so I had to buy a whole new clutch. good luck though :face-icon-small-hap

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Agreed, heat, heat and more heat.

And once it moves 1/4 turn, spin it back tight... repeat that back and forth a couple of times and then spin it off.

sled_guy

Premium Features