• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting ready for winter! Diesel questions

S
Oct 24, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Well it's about that time of year again! Right now I'm prepping and winterizing everything in anticipation of winter.

I have an 02' F350 with the 7.3L turbo diesel. This is going to be my first winter here in Minnesota. My wife and I are accustom to staying in "sno-parks" with our truck and camper for the weekend. My truck can be a bear to start at temps 10* and below. At zero it sometimes wont start or it will but it takes a lot of attempts at warming the plugs first.

I replaced the glow-plug relay, bought a new fuel filter to keep in the glove box as a spare. Bought 911 fuel treatment but I know we use a winter blended diesel here for the colder temps.

I have a 1850 watt portable generator I was thinking of keeping handy in case I just can't get it to start. I'm pretty sure it will be adequate enough to warm the block after a couple hours of freezing to death in the snow park (or hiding out in the camper.)

So couple questions.
1. To you diesel owners in MN. Do you struggle with your trucks and starting when you're out for long weekends?
2. What measures do you take to ease these pains?
3. Is winter camping (in a slide in hard sided) pickup camper possible at sub-zero temps?
4. Are there "sno-park" type configurations in this state? If you are trailing up by like Duluth or Hinckley or even further north where do you stay / unload to ride?

Think Snow!

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I change my fuel filter in November every year and don't have trouble. When the temps get into the teens during the day I only run#1. Keep 911 handy just in case. Plug the truck in when you can if it's getting in to the single digits at night. Run a cold front on the truck too. Clean filter and good fuel are most important.

I
Sep 11, 2010
my 04 duramax was a bear to start anytime the temp dips into the negative numbers,if it will even start at all.it wouldn't be caught dead without a generator to warm it up as i get loaded up.it left me stranded a time or two now it's gone.
good luck
pete

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
get a block heater.

And no guys don't really camp at the trail head. Hotel if you travel.

natedawgedog

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2011
dlg ak
Well it's about that time of year again! Right now I'm prepping and winterizing everything in anticipation of winter.

I have an 02' F350 with the 7.3L turbo diesel. This is going to be my first winter here in Minnesota. My wife and I are accustom to staying in "sno-parks" with our truck and camper for the weekend. My truck can be a bear to start at temps 10* and below. At zero it sometimes wont start or it will but it takes a lot of attempts at warming the plugs first.

I replaced the glow-plug relay, bought a new fuel filter to keep in the glove box as a spare. Bought 911 fuel treatment but I know we use a winter blended diesel here for the colder temps.

I have a 1850 watt portable generator I was thinking of keeping handy in case I just can't get it to start. I'm pretty sure it will be adequate enough to warm the block after a couple hours of freezing to death in the snow park (or hiding out in the camper.)

So couple questions.
1. To you diesel owners in MN. Do you struggle with your trucks and starting when you're out for long weekends?
2. What measures do you take to ease these pains?
3. Is winter camping (in a slide in hard sided) pickup camper possible at sub-zero temps?
4. Are there "sno-park" type configurations in this state? If you are trailing up by like Duluth or Hinckley or even further north where do you stay / unload to ride?

Think Snow!

i dont live in mn, i live in ak, but I do have a 2002 f350 7.3 and instead of using a motorcraft glow plug relay I changed out to a much larger/heavier duty-cycle stancor relay, much better starts and should never have to worry about it going weak or bad for a very long time. making sure your glow plugs are working properly, using a lighter oil during the winter (i use 10w-30 in the winter), larger stancor relay, making sure your stock block heater (standard on all 2002 7.3's) is in working order, and letting the glow plugs heat up properly (they are activated for about 2 min with the ignition in the on position before they shut off themselves) I have no problems starting my truck in our sub-zero temps in the winter.

there are a lot of forums dedicated to the powerstrokes and they are usually very helpful. i frequent powerstroke.org the most and I got the info on the larger relay from them and this site http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php

hope this helps, if you have other questions on your truck shoot me a pm and I could do my best to help you out. ive had it for a few years and know a bit about them in colder climates.

Last edited:
Premium Features