• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GEO/ELVIS update#2 (New setup specs)

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Ok all you guys who have done this to your 09-10 M's , I did this mod and added the shaft collars etc. etc., I got 463 miles on it and have been working with pressure in the rear float and the zero pro up front, droping the front scissor to the lower hole etc. since to get it to perform the best possible.

So if i didn't mention before, I droped my front scissor arm down to lower hole.(against what geo said; which was dont just revalve the zero) which i will revalve but not till this summer. I digress, so i did this mod a while ago but i didn't change the zero thread count that i had w/ the arm in the middle hole. I just left it at 8 showing under the stop nut. My rear float was at 95psi, (198 lbs + full seat crap). I really liked it but when i climbed step stuff i could fell my track rubbing on the rail tips. (side effect from dropping the front arm).

Anyway last night i decided to fix this problem, because i was so close to having this damn thing just perfect. Today my sled did things it has never done before. it hooked up so good i almost lost the sled more than a couple times when i hit some harder snow climbing, it didn't trench and i outclimbed my buddy's stock 10' m8 like he had a 600. I beat him by 3 1/2 sled lengths when we drag raced on the trail home too. the ski pressure was perfect and track transfered weight effortlessly. When climbing if i need a little extra bite or speed i would just lean back, move my feet to the back 6" on the running boards and it would hook up and plain out again. when i had to turn out i could slide to the back, yank on the bars and do somewhat of a "turbo style" 180 and drop back down the hill like burandt does in his videos but not a 180 back into the same track. :face-icon-small-hap

HOPE THIS HELPS ANY OF YOU THAT HAVE DONE THIS MOD OR IF ANYONE NEED SOME BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON DO THIS NOW. THIS SUMMER I WILL BE BUYING THE BURANDT SHOCK UPGRADE KIT. BUT UNTILL THEN THIS IS SICK.

Anyway whoever did this on their newer M, here are the things i did and you can base your total weight (body, gas, packs etc. to see what i saw today)
196 lbs
10 lbs Backpack
10 lbs seat storage (tools, survival kit, rope and caribeaners) = 226 lbs

from the back forward,
fox float: 105psi
zero pro: 5 threads showing from bottom to under stop nut
front scissor: Lowest hole
Front fox floats: 62psi clutch side/ 60psi can side

Attachments

• geo measure 1.jpg
    geo measure 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5,334
  • geo measure 2.jpg
    geo measure 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5,069
  • geo measure 3.jpg
    geo measure 3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4,775
  • front scissor measurment.jpg
    front scissor measurment.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,788
  • ZERO PRO MEASUREMENTS 4.jpg
    ZERO PRO MEASUREMENTS 4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 4,501
Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Nice write up. Does the sled want to wheelie up the hill or plain out?

Jason

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Because the rear float is at lower pressure and the arm in front down it feels like it wheelies more or better to me, but it does it w/ the track flatter (or more of it touching the ground)(not trenching w/ just the rear forced down in the back. thats why when i loose speed or hit a steep spot like going over a covered rock etc. if i lean way back and get more pressure on the rear it grabs and shoots me back on top of the snow. i rode better than i have ever rode today and i didn't get stuck once because right before you screw up you pin it lean back and your turn out is cut in half. as opposed to when you turn out and need speed to actually pull out.

S
Nov 3, 2009
So you had to drill that lower hole for the scissor arm yourself then? Whats the measurement?

What was your rear float pressure before?

Last edited:
M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
Question For Elvis

Hi there, well its sounds like you know what your talking about Elvis. I recently put a 08 m8 skid under my 06 m7. My question is what are the dimensions for me to do this upgrade on my sled. Im not sure if the bend in the rear drop braket is in the same place as the newer sled?

Thanks

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Thanks Elvis! Great info. I'll be doing this set-up this off season.

J
Nov 26, 2007
I really liked it but when i climbed step stuff i could fell my track rubbing on the rail tips. (side effect from dropping the front arm).

Anyway last night i decided to fix this problem,

So how'd you fix the problem with the rail tips, on my 07 i ended up moving the lower shock arm forward to give more stroke w/out momving the arm geometry, it felt just like you described. When you say wheelie you mean the weight of the sled transfers to the take off position(skies 6in's off) with the full track on the ground right. That sounds great and much needed. It always feels a little washy as in never enough front arm in the snow on acceleration so too much skies and rear of track making for sorta tippy feel.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you for the update! I'm glad to hear your sled is working so well.

My question is, can a guy still steer reasonably well on the trail into and out of the riding area with the skid in the lower hole?

I notice your rear shock pressure has been increased from the original post. Is that to keep the sled from wheelieing so bad while climbing?

What kind of track tension are you running?

Thanks again!

PS: My shocks were revalaved by Gas Shock repair and it's the best money I ever spent in mods. Andy is great to deal with and will save you a bunch of money. Here's a link.

http://gasshockrepair.com/

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Thank you for the update! I'm glad to hear your sled is working so well.

My question is, can a guy still steer reasonably well on the trail into and out of the riding area with the skid in the lower hole?

I notice your rear shock pressure has been increased from the original post. Is that to keep the sled from wheelieing so bad while climbing?

What kind of track tension are you running?

Thanks again!

PS: My shocks were revalaved by Gas Shock repair and it's the best money I ever spent in mods. Andy is great to deal with and will save you a bunch of money. Here's a link.

http://gasshockrepair.com/

Steering is all a matter of what that zero pro is set at w/ the arm down. when i was a 8 threads, i would bank of trees and sides of the trail to get home! w/ 5 now its perfect. i can steer just fine and it actually very safe.

the rear pressure increased because i was trying to get rid of the rubbing noise which was on the tips i think
tension is 2.75"

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Elvis, do you have a anti stab kit on your sled? I would think the extra wheels on the rail tips would help with the rubbing issue.

The 2.75" track tension. Is that measured from the bottom of the hifax to the upper side/inside of the track at it's lowest point where it hangs below the rails with no weight on track.

Are you using Powder Pro skis?

Is your ski stance set to the narrow position?

Thanks again for the update!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Ok Elvis, I have done everything you say to do to a T!

I sure hope this works out well.

I weigh 170 lbs (without gear). Should I adjust any of the shocks differently?

My track hangs about 2 1/4" below the hifax. If I push down at the lowest point it measures 2 3/4". Is that correct?

I was planning on dropping the skid to the lower hole all season. Ever since I put on my Powder Pros and added the full skid plate I wanted to do thsi and I just never got around to it until toady. I just hope I can steer this thing!

Do you have any riding tips for this new setup?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
question about update

just did geo last weel haven't rode yet, a couple of things 09 m1000 162, i weigh 245 fox float set at 95 lbs, zero pro half way up w thread, do not want to pull skid and change holes quite yet, what psi would recommend at my weight, and also what about front fox floats, what would you recommend

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I did geo mod last winter. I also dropped front arm to lower hole. It was fun to ride as I could pull the skis high so easily. But I didn't like rear arm sag and too short travel in front arm.

This winter I went back to stock mounting holes. I bought Firecat front arm reservoir shock but found even better shock later so I sold the Firecat shock before even installed it. Firecat shock is about 1 cm longer than stock M shock. This means you can use stock mounting hole, but still have advantages of lower hole + you have more travel and stiffer valving. Stock mounting holes with longer front arm shock and side cut Powder Pro skis in narrow position made my sled really nimble and easy to drive. It tips really easily when sidehilling/carving etc. Some may say it's too tippy, but I surely like this way. Mine is 141" so longer ones should be little more stable. I think if you climg a lot this setup may not be good but in trees/boondocking its really enjoyable.

Here's pic of the shocks. Top one is stock shock, next is stock Firecat shock and lowest is what I'm using now.
main.php

Last edited:
E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Elvis, do you have a anti stab kit on your sled? I would think the extra wheels on the rail tips would help with the rubbing issue.

The 2.75" track tension. Is that measured from the bottom of the hifax to the upper side/inside of the track at it's lowest point where it hangs below the rails with no weight on track.

Are you using Powder Pro skis?

Is your ski stance set to the narrow position?

Thanks again for the update!

I dont have a stab kit yet but i ordered one last night from bdx and it will be put on when i get it. 2.75 is from the stock place the rubber mount like it says in the manual. bottom of hifax to clip on track. stock skis always at the narrrowest.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you King (Elvis)!

I appreciate the information.

If I don't have the rubbing sound, I should be able to lower my rear shock pressure back to 87 PSI?

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Couldn't wait for the off-season. Mtns just got a fresh dump of snow so......did the mod last night and look forward to testing the new setup.

Yee Haw..........I love spring riding in Colorado!!

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
tested saturday and worked great what a difference. Need to add a little more air but BDX bumper tore off so need to replace it.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Single hole pattern on the PC?

Can somebody please post a a pic single line ported PC?

I have the BDX tool and was thinking about a singe hole in the center every other row. I also have an anti-stab kit and two rear wheels in the center so I'm limited to a center of the track pattern.

Appreciate it,

akrevrider

Premium Features