• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen5 chassis in 2022??

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So if you own a 2019 Polaris you can have the 2020 flash installed into you sled. This is no charge and brings your sled up to the latest and greatest. Now if you have a 2019 G4 you can go buy a 2020 sled for a few extra HP but you are not getting the flash at any cost for your 2019.

Sorry.
The 2020 gen 4 is making more power? Had no idea..

So Polaris is coming out with flashes just to increase horsepower on their older models? Lol how nice of them.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Skidoo engine is so much better it's not even funny!
Ski doo does have the best motor hands down. The polaris makes power but more mid to top. I also like that i run the doo out of the trailer and leave it running. It just shuts itself off when warmed up. The axys is waaay less effort when rode on 1 ski. If you ride them on 2 skis the gen 4 is hands down easier. In less than stellar conditions the gen4 is less than stellar. Way fussier on snow conditions.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ski doo does have the best motor hands down. The polaris makes power but more mid to top. I also like that i run the doo out of the trailer and leave it running. It just shuts itself off when warmed up. The axys is waaay less effort when rode on 1 ski. If you ride them on 2 skis the gen 4 is hands down easier. In less than stellar conditions the gen4 is less than stellar. Way fussier on snow conditions.

The latest Polaris flash may change the power band a bit as I have read the exhaust valves open earlier. This should increase bottom end hit. As far as ski-doo having "Best Motor" I have heard of many G4 motors going down, more than the Patriot, I do understand there are more out there but they certainly are not bullet proof, after all they are still a 2 stroke.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Looks like they are starting rich mapping and slowly tweak each season according to warranty claims. Doo did this on older sleds when new engine was intoduced. Doo has cleanest engine by far. Their 850 is solid. The poo rocks as well its strong but a little smokey..ha..

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fair enough, all those things could be improved but if the end result is a sled that rides like an Axys then no thanks! I know some love it but I can't stand how the Axys feels/rides. My riding buddy has one and he is always exhausted riding the same lines as I do because the Axys simply takes more energy. Some will disagree but from what I have seen the Axys effort level compared to a Summit improves the steeper the sidehill so if you always ride extreme terrain and are in top physical shape the Axys may be the better sled. For the rest of us the Summit takes less effort and is more fun to ride... I am an average rider and highly prefer the Summit.
Did you drive the khaos? Was the Axys the 39"front end? Big difference from an RMK in effort.

B
Feb 18, 2009
The axys is waaay less effort when rode on 1 ski. If you ride them on 2 skis the gen 4 is hands down easier. In less than stellar conditions the gen4 is less than stellar. Way fussier on snow conditions.

I would disagree or say this needs a disclaimer based on terrain. On average/moderate terrain the Skidoo is WAY easier to get up on edge and keep it there. On steep technical terrain the Axys will be easier to maintain consistent control (less feedback and washout) but that also comes with a higher overall effort. I have not rode a Kaos so maybe that changes things...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think everyone else has caught up. I don't think we are that far apart and that is fine. Everyone rides different or different stuff. Everyone likes different things for different reasons. I think the doo likes better snow conditions vs terrain or it wants to flop back or fight you with their spindle design or deep keel. I actually think my buddy's 163 kaos is less effort in steep terrain or tree riding. It's really precise. I used to agree with your disclaimer until i rode his sled. Night and day over a 16 axys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Looks like they are starting rich mapping and slowly tweak each season according to warranty claims. Doo did this on older sleds when new engine was intoduced. Doo has cleanest engine by far. Their 850 is solid. The poo rocks as well its strong but a little smokey..ha..

I read how clean the Doo engine is but in my group the ski-doo's use the most oil and have very dirty plastics and I often choke riding behind them. (could be the XPS oil ) The Polaris also has dirty plastics from the exhaust but i hope this newest flash fixes that as I understand they now reduce oil feed on deceleration.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I read how clean the Doo engine is but in my group the ski-doo's use the most oil and have very dirty plastics and I often choke riding behind them. (could be the XPS oil ) The Polaris also has dirty plastics from the exhaust but i hope this newest flash fixes that as I understand they now reduce oil feed on deceleration.
Well very few etecs foul out plugs. The most common plug problem I have heard of is poor indexing from the factory. You won’t find many poo riders without a spare set of plugs!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well very few etecs foul out plugs. The most common plug problem I have heard of is poor indexing from the factory. You won’t find many poo riders without a spare set of plugs!

Some did foul plugs during break-in. I know of none after break in, although I do admit the original 2019 flash was loading them up a bit on the bottom end but now they have that all fixed up. No big deal for a first year motor. Glad that Polaris addressed the issue promptly. I'm sure more ski-doo guys went through many belts compared to Polaris and they cost more than a couple plugs.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Some did foul plugs during break-in. I know of none after break in, although I do admit the original 2019 flash was loading them up a bit on the bottom end but now they have that all fixed up. No big deal for a first year motor. Glad that Polaris addressed the issue promptly. I'm sure more ski-doo guys went through many belts compared to Polaris and they cost more than a couple plugs.

No belts blown in the Doos in our group last year, but one new Polaris 840 lost its engine.

The reality is whether it's a Doo 850 or a Poo 840, they are 2-strokes. Anyone who bought one for longevity is deceiving themselves. Have fun with them while you can, they are amazing when they work!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I had 2 of the 17 belt burners and never blew a belt. Friend that bought my wifes was going to do the 19 updates on it. I told him if it ain't broke don't fix it. Had an 18 boosted from day one and never blew a belt on it either.

Premium Features