• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 2 Front End Lift

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I once stuffed a pair of XTRA-12 front shocks into a Gen 2 chassis, gave a bit more "rise" due to the additional length. Polaris once had two upper shock mounting locations in the older Trail SP models, but that was to lower the front end. The problem you will have with different shock mounting systems is with the travel arc of the trailing arm vs. the travel arc of the radius arms. You may have to deal with your issue with some rear suspension tweaks (limiter straps, front rear suspension shock settings) or with different radius arm lengths (narrow front ends with longer shocks vs. wider ones). Keep messing around though, that is how we all learned anyway. Cheers.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
GenII

I went to Fox shocks on mine and they had the screw style spring adjusters. I cranked them up. You can also put a set of storm or XCR springs on your stock shocks. They are designed for tha heavier motors and should hold the front higher.
If you go to a longer shock them you will need to have longer radius and tie rods. The wide front end kit had all of that stuff in them. The Edge stuff went to a heim joint so they would compensate for the different rod angles when using the wide fron end kit. I believe the Gen II still used the metal bushing inside a steel sleave on the end of the radius rods and that will prevent going wider so you are limited as to how tall you can go.

P
Jan 4, 2008
Tacoma, Washington
The brackets you are talking about are a two piece arrangement that slide into the bulkhead at the upper shock mount location.These brackets will extend the upper shock mounting out and down.This will raise the nose of the sled about 1.5" depending upon desired ski width.This is a factory Polaris part used on mid to late 90's xcr sleds and other models.The bulkhead may already be pre drilled for the brackets(2 bolts required per side),or you may have to drill one new hole on each side.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I talked to CMX about there ft end height Mark sead they were using edge length shocks and building there own raidius rods to get there front end up. wouldent coment on length though.

P

polarisriderrmk

Dec 17, 2007
Chehalis, Washington
The brackets sound like what i've seen but now i just need to find somewhere that sells them. I want to say that a big polaris dealership in idaho had them, but that was a few years ago.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Brackets

I looked on the Polaris list and the only brackets I could find like this were on a 95 XLT SP. I think that was an extra-12 suspension.
The right hand side used 2 plates and the left hand used a "U" bracket.
5211449-067 and 1012053-067 on the riught and 1012052-067 on the left.
I wonder if they are still available from Polaris.

M
Oct 21, 2009
Iv got xtra 10... what who happen if i replaced the xtra 10 coil springs with xtra 12 coil springs? and kept the same shocks. would that even work? ... just for in the front susprension of course.

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
Iv got xtra 10... what who happen if i replaced the xtra 10 coil springs with xtra 12 coil springs? and kept the same shocks. would that even work? ... just for in the front susprension of course.

You would get more spring compression, but length is determined by the shock, not the spring.

C
Feb 20, 2008
I put a compleat 98 xc front suspension on my 00' rmk.
1.jpg

2.jpg

C
Feb 20, 2008
well the last steering post I had was reinforced and ended up like this.

bokensteeringpost.jpg

when this one breaks ill spend the extra money and get the chromolly one. there only like $90 more and are supposedly alot tougher.

Premium Features