• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing down...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Has anyone geared down a 165? And if you have, did you see better belt life? Cooler clutches? Was top speed greatly hampered?

Ace

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Come on Kanedog!!
You can doo it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha no kidding eh? I feel like a repeating drunk sometimes but no probs. I enjoy it especially if fellas are willing to learn and explore "outside the box" so to speak.
Yes. It works great. West Coast snow.
2017-friend blew 25 belts. Changed gears to 19/51. No more belts blown.
2018-friend getting 250 miles to a belt. Changed to 19/51. Currently at 500miles on new belt. Temps went from 220 to 190. No slipping or erratic rpms wfo. He rides with 85 lbs of gear and extra gas and he beats 850's with no gear and no extra gas. He is so happy to be able to hold it wfo without worry. No loss in top speed but it's not really a factor in the mountains. He will hold top speed of about 62mph but the other 850's will experience belt heat/clutch fade and slowly drop mph where he keeps rockin. No downside to gearing down.
Even better would be a 19/53. It would pull amazing. Stay below 62mph though. The primary clutch will go into overdrive and the belt will hit the bolts down in the secondary and belt will go boom.
Experiment !

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I know, im a gearing down fool...
Sorry Ace...mine is a 154x3.0, not 165.
I ran bone out-of-box stock under the hood until this season. Original felts, foam, no venting, and did not do the suggested modifying belt guard that was the trend the last 2 seasons.
I would run the sled to "stinky belt smell" and back off. I blew 2 belts but i was being a snow hog and I knew (you know that feeling you get) the belts were gonna blow. 2nd one, i went over the handlebars.
Anyhoo...I went from 19-45 to 19-53 and my clutches run hot but not to the point of blowing a belt IF I pay attention to how the sled responds (engine speed and backshift ability) and not get greedy.

This season I removed the PTO felt and installed full Xtreme air vents on the PTO side panel. I want to see how much warm air they'll exchange.
19-53geaing.jpg

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
SUPER!
Thanks!

I hadn't seen anything even mentioned about gearing the G4 down before, yet everyone having clutch/belt issues.
I wondered why?

???

In 2000 (?) the 700 x 144's were having belt issues, and the 151 were not, and they were geared down a bit.

Parts list (thanks again guy's) shows 21/53 stock for the 165's.

Fiche only says 116 pitch. What is the stock chain? Is it still old skewl Silent? Or have they moved up to Hyvo yet? (I'm just coming off the Zx chassis, so I am out of the loop)

How many links wide?
Is anyone blowing chains? I don't recall seeing any threads about that...
Will wider fit?

By dropping to 19/53, are you able to get a 114 chain to fit?
From the above pic - I'm guessing no chain change. (???)
(2 tooth drop on one end = 1 less chain pitch in perfect world)

Is a 55 lower available?
Would it fit?
The pic above looks like there's plenty of room.
Wahl only lists to 51.

I don't recall my exact set-up on my 16/163 Zx anymore, but I'm sure that it's geared down, and I bet I haven't used 4 belts in 10,000 klicks!
I'm all about keeping the perishable costs down! (and reliability up)
If I want to go fast - I'll buy an MXZ.
Someone else can run point on the trail. I'm OK with with clean-up.

2017-friend blew 25 belts. Changed gears to 19/51. No more belts blown.
2018-friend getting 250 miles to a belt. Changed to 19/51. Currently at 500miles on new belt.

Even better would be a 19/53. It would pull amazing. Stay below 62mph though. The primary clutch will go into overdrive and the belt will hit the bolts down in the secondary and belt will go boom.
Experiment !

Are y'all running 154's as I see that you are listing 51T bottom gears.

Are you saying that above 62 will blow a belt on trail too, or just when working it?

I kan't believe that someone would blow through 25 belts before trying gearing! :face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:

bubba94

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2008
BC Canada
Is anyone gearing down 175s I just bought a 2018 175 waiting for snow in BC here and hearing of the belt issues on some and not others but would going from the 21/53 to 19/51 benefit the 175s to. And if you gear down do you have to change clutching. Great info on here thanks

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyhoo...I went from 19-45 to 19-53 and my clutches run hot but not to the point of blowing a belt IF I pay attention to how the sled responds (engine speed and backshift ability) and not get greedy.
View attachment 298086

Did you have to buy a new chain? If so what size chain?

Went on https://venomproducts.com website. Don't see a 53T SKIdoo sprocket. I'll give them a call.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
SUPER!
Thanks!

I hadn't seen anything even mentioned about gearing the G4 down before, yet everyone having clutch/belt issues.
I wondered why?

???

In 2000 (?) the 700 x 144's were having belt issues, and the 151 were not, and they were geared down a bit.

Parts list (thanks again guy's) shows 21/53 stock for the 165's.

Fiche only says 116 pitch. What is the stock chain? Is it still old skewl Silent? Or have they moved up to Hyvo yet? (I'm just coming off the Zx chassis, so I am out of the loop)

How many links wide?
Is anyone blowing chains? I don't recall seeing any threads about that...
Will wider fit?

By dropping to 19/53, are you able to get a 114 chain to fit?
From the above pic - I'm guessing no chain change. (???)
(2 tooth drop on one end = 1 less chain pitch in perfect world)

Is a 55 lower available?
Would it fit?
The pic above looks like there's plenty of room.
Wahl only lists to 51.

I don't recall my exact set-up on my 16/163 Zx anymore, but I'm sure that it's geared down, and I bet I haven't used 4 belts in 10,000 klicks!
I'm all about keeping the perishable costs down! (and reliability up)
If I want to go fast - I'll buy an MXZ.
Someone else can run point on the trail. I'm OK with with clean-up.

Are y'all running 154's as I see that you are listing 51T bottom gears.

Are you saying that above 62 will blow a belt on trail too, or just when working it?

I kan't believe that someone would blow through 25 belts before trying gearing! :face-icon-small-sho

That's cool you asked about a 55t bottom. Excellent thinking. With a 19top gear at 1-1 that would be 54mph/86kmh approximately.
Overdrive is 63/101. If you could machine down the roller pin bolt heads to be even with the bottom of the clutch, the belt wouldn't blow at full overdrive. Now it's nothing but power the whole way through and you may get an extra 3-4mph more on the top end with 300 rpm over rev.
This setup would work perfect for tree riding and you don't care about top speed.

Last edited:
B
Jun 28, 2011
I have a 2018 175 that I geared down to 19/53. Second best mod I've done so far ! Got Joey's clutch kit as well and the sled is a beast. Compared to my father stock one, there is no contest.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I have a 2018 175 that I geared down to 19/53. Second best mod I've done so far ! Got Joey's clutch kit as well and the sled is a beast. Compared to my father stock one, there is no contest.

No kidding....I have a 175, never blown a belt. What makes it the 2nd best mod?

bubba94

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2008
BC Canada

If I go to 19/53 do you have to do clutch kit, would you get a bit of over rev and be able to use the clickers to adjust yours rpms back within spec. Thanks for the info guys

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am curious, and not trying to stir the pot. I mean, I usually do, but not this time. :) Has anyone actually tried the 2019 Doo setup yet? The finned secondary and direct venting seem like they would work. And the new belt.....

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I am curious, and not trying to stir the pot. I mean, I usually do, but not this time. :) Has anyone actually tried the 2019 Doo setup yet? The finned secondary and direct venting seem like they would work. And the new belt.....
For mountain sleds, the new secondary fins and new vent don't fix the heat issue. They just move air for the heat that shouldn't be there in the first place. The heat is coming from the belt slipping in the primary combined with too high of a gear ratio.
The lower gear ratio(gr) moves the belt up an inch or so on the primary providing more belt surface area for the sheave to grip and less load on the clutches. It helps 100% better than stock gears and lowers belt temp but the heat/slippage problem still exists in the primary.
Now if the primary heat issue was fixed along with a gr change, now you got an even better competitor. Hey that kinda rhymes!

Last edited:
Premium Features