• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing down 163" x 3" Chaincase

T
Nov 21, 2020
finished install of the TKI kit yesterday - super easy kit. Chain is now history.
Bringing this thread back from the dead, what ratio did you go with and what did you think of it? I've swapped a 162 Challenger X3 into my belt drive sled and I found that its a bit of a dog and needs more bottom end. I already have pro-ride gears and its not enough, so a TKI set up may be on the list for the fall.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Bringing this thread back from the dead, what ratio did you go with and what did you think of it? I've swapped a 162 Challenger X3 into my belt drive sled and I found that its a bit of a dog and needs more bottom end. I already have pro-ride gears and its not enough, so a TKI set up may be on the list for the fall.
I like to go as low as possible, 24t top pulley is the smallest Tki currently makes.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Okay. How would you gear a 2016 axys khaos conversion with an slp stage 3 and 163 challenger x3 w/ drivers?
I would use a 24 or 25 top gear. 25 if it is clutched well. The problem with a 800 and a big track is that it does not have the power/torque to spin it as well as a bigger motor. When you don't spin a track it makes it harder to initiate on to edge. The 3" tracked versions of this sled always felt like they pushed more than the 2.6" version simply becasue of gearing and traction.

T
Nov 21, 2020
I would use a 24 or 25 top gear. 25 if it is clutched well. The problem with a 800 and a big track is that it does not have the power/torque to spin it as well as a bigger motor. When you don't spin a track it makes it harder to initiate on to edge. The 3" tracked versions of this sled always felt like they pushed more than the 2.6" version simply becasue of gearing and traction.
Oh wow that low? I do ride a little on the slower side and in some pretty tight trees so that would probably be better anyways. Thanks for the help! I'll report back during the season and add my thoughts here

T
Nov 21, 2020
So so I went to order the kit last night and there was no option for 24 tooth for the belt to belt swap kit. Then I realized the tooth counts are completely different for the chain to belt kit. The 24t chain kit ratio is 2.42 vs the 25t belt kit at 2.52. Do you think that would be too low or is the general concensus that as low as I can go period?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So so I went to order the kit last night and there was no option for 24 tooth for the belt to belt swap kit. Then I realized the tooth counts are completely different for the chain to belt kit. The 24t chain kit ratio is 2.42 vs the 25t belt kit at 2.52. Do you think that would be too low or is the general concensus that as low as I can go period?
That is the smallest top gear Tom makes.

for those with Belt to Belt and 3.5" pitch tracks:

Keep in mind the bottom gear is a 63 so that is actually 2.625:1 and now that the pitch is 3.5" that has a 21" (6 tooth) circumfrence driver while the old 2.86" (8tooth) pitch tracks had a 22.88" circumfrenece so the drivers have already caused a gear down from years gone by resulting in an equivilent of 2.86:1 compared to old iron. I like the 25 top gear and my buddy likes the 24 so it will be more about good or bad clutching at that point.

For those with chaincase.

In these Tom's bottom gear is smaller to fit in the case. 58 tooth, by memory.
This will effect your gearing so the 24 tooth top is good. You also need to consider your drivers. Do you have the 3" track with 7 tooth drivers? This has a 21" circumfrence too.

Last edited:
Premium Features