• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gauge cluster sweeping an blank?

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
Hello,
09 XP 800 154" Powertek

Pulled motor to do E Mod an S mod, rode first 27 miles life was good.
Went out again loaded sled on trailer gauges went blank with speedo an tach stuck at some random number. Grip heaters worked, sled ran good for another 30 miles. Gauges did random sweeps an beeps like normal startup while riding.
2 Days later sled did same thing again sweeping gauges, high beam light glowing, then temp, finally voltage light glowing dim. Never had a problem with sled running or power.
Checked engine grounds, cluster plug, take it to dealer check for a code?
Also fuel gauge does not work full tank = 1 to 4 bars on display, very random!
Side note: Sled had none of these problems before frame repair . I mean the gas gauge never worked or read correctly but I always had working tach an speedo.
Thinking ground?
All lights work, grips work sled runs like new, checked forum never seen a problem like mine.

M
Dec 27, 2010
Washington
I've been chasing my tail with a similar problem on an 08 X I bought from your side of the hill. When I bought it I attributed it to all the trailer miles in our states wonderful de-icer and figured it had a corroded connection...no luck numerous parts and dollars later with no resolve. Check any connections you took apart to do the bulkheads looking for any bent pins, Doo connectors are notorious for bending pins if you don't plug things in straight.

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
dougdiggler said:
Hello,
09 XP 800 154" Powertek

Pulled motor to do E Mod an S mod, rode first 27 miles life was good.
Went out again loaded sled on trailer gauges went blank with speedo an tach stuck at some random number. Grip heaters worked, sled ran good for another 30 miles. Gauges did random sweeps an beeps like normal startup while riding.
2 Days later sled did same thing again sweeping gauges, high beam light glowing, then temp, finally voltage light glowing dim. Never had a problem with sled running or power.
Checked engine grounds, cluster plug, take it to dealer check for a code?
Also fuel gauge does not work full tank = 1 to 4 bars on display, very random!
Side note: Sled had none of these problems before frame repair . I mean the gas gauge never worked or read correctly but I always had working tach an speedo.
Thinking ground?
All lights work, grips work sled runs like new, checked forum never seen a problem like mine.

check stator/voltage regulator connector (3-yellow, black/red). I have seen many sleds through the shop with damaged terminals, or from people installing butt connectors on the wires because they can't figure out how to remove the terminals.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

H
Dec 10, 2010
Breckenridge CO
same gauge issue

My issue started once last year then good for another 300mi, then another time this year at the end of a 3 mile road ride then good. NOW gauges go crazy and won't stop
I'm starting my search and I'll post results as I go and hopefully read your solutions to help me speed things up

Sandard gauge set ( 08 XP)

starts up fine till warm, not hot
Gauge needles both going back and forth.
Dimming display with throttle rpm ( un legible gibber jabber)
Does not go away with rpm increase ( did first couple times)
Reverse does not work after gauges go nuts
ALL lights on most of time then reset to only engine light
Then back to CRAZZZZZY

I have spent hours researching many forums with same issues and know one has posted a fix for the past 6 years...

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
My gauges went crasy too. I took the cluster apart and found where the main block pins went into the curcuit boards were cracked around the solder.You could see a fine circle ring in the solder around the pin, in the solder. Use a magnifying glass. Very hard to see. Resoldered them and everything was fine since. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
H
Dec 10, 2010
Breckenridge CO
Same issue

I took the cluster apart a few days back looking for " Hello" and didn't see anything. I'll take it apart again and look closer at the pin base.

UPDATE:
Had it on a BUDS this morning and of course the gauges didn't go Crazy until I got back home. Pulled 2 codes while running and nothing wile off.

1. RAVE solenoid fault/ short
2. DPM fault/ short

I'll pull the DPM apart and test and wD-40 and go from there

P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
As crazy as this sounds, check your tail light bulb.
If one of those little elements shorts to ground, all of what you're describing can happen.

Check the tail light harness or connector under the fuel tank.

Also check the 15/20 amp fuses for corrosion.

Check the Rave solenoid wires, check about 1/2" up from the connector housing, if they have a "kink" in them. This usually indicates a broken wire inside and will show the two faults you're describing.

Use a voltage meter at the diagnostic connector or any RD/BU wire in the system to check for more than 12.5VDC at an idle, any lower and you have a charging system issue or a short.

It is possible you have a bad cluster as well.

H
Dec 10, 2010
Breckenridge CO
almost there

Spent the day looking through the wiring..

Ruled out tail light and IT's wiring.
pulled and pushed on everything with no change

PROGRESS:
Found Pin 11 and 12 had small cracks in solder but no change after soldering
I needed magnifying glass to see.

Then I found With headlights and Tail light out/ removed I had no issue on the cluster and started easy with one pull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE- checked relay and this time it didn't test well.
I think I may have found my intermittent problem. I picked up two replacements from NAPA and will try tomorrow.
I do have to say the relay tested OK early in this hunt.

I'll absolutely sh?? if a $12.00 relay caused all this one on one sled time.

H
Dec 10, 2010
Breckenridge CO
FOUND IT

FOUND IT:cheer2:

Put the relay in (Nappa AR 143 I believe) ,EVERYTHING worked as it was supposed to.

SO to recap.. My relay on an 08 xp 800 manual start went out. Started showing gauge issues. ( came on slow)

• Reset at low RPM
  • Both needles going back and forth ( sometimes)
  • All Gauge lights on
  • Gauge dimming with gibberish in LCD area
  • Ran like a dog last ride ( think RAVE solenoid)
  • At it's worst, headlight and tail light would go out while at idle and then hard to start for a minute or two.
The BUDS showed a DPM and a RAVE fault/ short before the new RELAY was installed. ( while running only)
NO stored codes

I can only guess that a short or ?? was being caused by the relay and this in some way affected the DPM and Rave circuit.. ( go-ta love electric).

I have not ridden it more than around my yard as of now, so there could still be issues. If I don't add more, all is good and thanks to everyone for the help.

Sorry Doug for the Hi-Jack ,but all the threads with this issue never seem to post outcome if positive. ( I spent hours looking through all forums)
I hope this helps you and your issue.... $12.00 and 2 min to change a relay is so much easier than many hours un-taping the harness.

There is a bright side to all of us that have had this issue and chased it. The XP can now be field stripped with confidence :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features