• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates 49C4266 Carbon Belt

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
We have been running a Gates 49C4266 Carbon belt on the 2015 Ski-Doo 174 and 163 for the last week. Switching it out between sleds, big improvement here as well. You don't see the black clutches associated with the Doo belt. It hooks hard.
Here is a picture of the primary clutch with a stock ....391 belt and I will add a picture of a clutch after running the Carbon belt.
The boys are dumping their Doo belts and buying the Gates Carbon.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 569

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
After running the Gates belt, we didn't clean the clutch before installing the Gates Carbon belt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 451

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
That is about what I've seen as well, as well as some friends that are using as well.

Plus the RPM stays LOTS more constant on long pulls. Or steep trees sidehills and such.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Any difference in rpm switching between the two belts?

I would be more curious about a track speed difference between the two.

The belt won't "make" power, it's job is to transfer it to the secondary and then the track.

A wet or slick belt will rev higher....

I'm curious enough that I might try one of these belts on the dyno just to see.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I was told that this belt has less "stretch" than a Doo belt. That a lot of the constant adjustment with a Doo belt was do to stretch and not wear. I have noticed that with (aftermarket) clutching, the Doo belt leaves my sheaves black as can be, I never saw that with stock Doo clutching and belt.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Anytime something stretches it will have to get thinner ( narrower)

The perfect belt will never stretch or deform when the clutch grabs it and all

the while never slip . I just switched to doo from Yamaha and

have to say the constant belt adjustments are not a signe of a great belt.

The yamaha belt never needed adjustment for the hole season on the turbo and

supercharger that I had. Anytime a belt changes its original dimensions your

clutching changes usually not for the better:face-icon-small-dis

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
A hot greasy belt as well as belt stretch causes RPM loss. As you make multiple runs with a belt that slips your RPM will drop with each run. The OE Doo and PI belts with stock clutching do witness this.
You will be impressed with the carbon belt on the Dyno. I was fortunate enough to be asked to join a two day session dynoing OE and aftermarket belts. We loaded and unloaded the clutching during multiple runs. At WOT the Dyno could drop speeds from 65 MPH to 20 MPH and hold it there. We then would cycle this over and over per belt, the Gates Carbon belt was an eye opener. I have not seen an aftermarket belt meet or exceed an OE belt until then.
These are a great buy compared to the OE belt prices, with a power transfer benefit over the OE belt.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
A hot greasy belt as well as belt stretch causes RPM loss. As you make multiple runs with a belt that slips your RPM will drop with each run. The OE Doo and PI belts with stock clutching do witness this.
You will be impressed with the carbon belt on the Dyno. I was fortunate enough to be asked to join a two day session dynoing OE and aftermarket belts. We loaded and unloaded the clutching during multiple runs. At WOT the Dyno could drop speeds from 65 MPH to 20 MPH and hold it there. We then would cycle this over and over per belt, the Gates Carbon belt was an eye opener. I have not seen an aftermarket belt meet or exceed an OE belt until then.
These are a great buy compared to the OE belt prices, with a power transfer benefit over the OE belt.

The only OEM belt to run is the Race 288 Kevlar, Its a softer compound and never leave black marks, 391 hard compound slips.i bet the Gates is a med compound as well.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Stretch shouldn't affect the adjustment of the belt in the secondary, just belt width, no?

Stretch will affect deflection, regardless if the belt gest narrower when it stretches or not. A longer belt will have more deflection, if not adjusted out.
I have never understood why people adjust their belts to the height it rides in the secondary, and not by measuring deflection. I think the manufacturers have dummied it down for people. Deflection is what needs to be right. Yes, if deflection is right, the belt will ride above the secondary at a certain height. (On a new belt with an engine that is alignment, etc.) But on worn belts, other issues, it is deflection that needs to be correct, regardless of where the belt rides on the secondary.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I was told that this belt has less "stretch" than a Doo belt. That a lot of the constant adjustment with a Doo belt was do to stretch and not wear. I have noticed that with (aftermarket) clutching, the Doo belt leaves my sheaves black as can be, I never saw that with stock Doo clutching and belt.

I was surprised at how much my Doo belt stretched. I measured the width with calipers at the bottom and compared to a new on, and it hasn't worn much, but it was definitely loose in sheaves. Had to adjust it up probably an 1/8" in the sheave to get it back to spec's.

OTM

Premium Features