• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gas gauge faulty?

J
Feb 17, 2013
I have a 2018 and 2019 gen-4s. When Gauge shows empty , no bars on gauge, I ride half hour back to truck.
Go to fill tanks, and it only takes 7.5 gallons. Maunual says capacity is 10.6.
3 gallons is a fair bit of riding. But without a reading on the last 3rd of my tank, it is a bit more risky
Riding without caring extra gas. Does anyone else have this issue?
Is the gauge that inaccurate, or are both mine faulty?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Old school here , a gas gauge isn't any different than an idiot stick . It's there to tell you your in the general vicinity , either you need to service your machine from lack of maintenance or you have a problem or in your case you might need to add petro . Look up the definition of dipstick , it's worth a laugh on how times are changing :)

Packing fuel can never be a bad thing and you'd have to be a darn good rider to be able to notice the difference even with the bigger LinQ caddy .

IMG_20200322_113627930.jpg

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
That's the same as mine, around 3 gallons when the light comes on. Might be a little more accurate if you let it sit on a flat surface for a minute, to reset. Not sure if it's faulty, but it isn't very accurate. But I just factor that into my planning, i.e., when the light comes on, I've got around a third of a tank left.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Skidoos gas gauge haven’t been accurate since the ole zx? I believe that one still had the float gauge. Other then that good luck. Most wont read accurately

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I have a 2018 and 2019 gen-4s. When Gauge shows empty , no bars on gauge, I ride half hour back to truck.
3 gallons is a fair bit of riding. But without a reading on the last 3rd of my tank, it is a bit more risky

The gas tank is 9.5 gallons. Where are you getting 10.6?

This is from the owner's manual:

Fuel tank capacity. 36 L (9.5 U.S. gal.)

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I'm a machinist and if others out there are, they'll understand the term "reference only". Basically it means around, somewhat, near enough, and more than likely. As we are working as a world to start populating mars, and setting up a lunar colony, we still can't make an accurate gas gauge...

F
Feb 2, 2009
Denver, CO
If you rode till the gauge said and it truly was empty you would not be riding back to your truck, you would be walking. Think of the 2 gallons left in your tank as your reserve.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
If you rode till the gauge said and it truly was empty you would not be riding back to your truck, you would be walking. Think of the 2 gallons left in your tank as your reserve.
But if we knew it was accurate, we wouldn't ride until it was showing empty... The first few times, my friends and I rode our new doos (none of us ever owning a doo before I might add), we cut our rides short because we were all showing only 1 bar left of gas. Then as we're taking it easy on the way back to the truck (because we were a ways away), suddenly we have 3 or 4 bars left, and THEN when we filled up for the next ride, we only put in like 4 or 5 gallons. At least on our old cats, we could unscrew the cap and look inside to actually see how much gas was still in there, even if the gauge reading didn't make sense. No can do on a doo. Just saying. I LOVE my doo, but there is room for improvements, like every make and model of everything.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You could unscrew and look but still kind of meaningless. Had the clear tank with vinyl cover on the xrs. You could pull the velcro strap and look but was still meaningless. I finally drained it and marked it up to 5 gallons. Then they had a pick up problem and would run out of gas going downhill. Really hard to get last 3 gallons out of them. Turn them uphill to start and go again.

Premium Features