• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino 650?? Who has one? Do you like?

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
I just checked Sportco in Fife. They are selling them for about $440. They have a pretty low margin so if you can find them for $380 I think that's a good deal. I have never done the Birdseye deal. Does it show up as a picture with roads highlighted on it? Winter scene or is it all green summer?

I think it's still 30 bucks for the subscription to birdseye.. get it thru the Garmin site. . .the images are just like what you see on google maps, and then switch to satellite view .. zoomable satellite images that can be scrolled around .. I don't think the roads were highlighted?? . .. but then.. . .the reason I have mine is to get me back from where the roads aren't so I don't care where the roads are. . .and I've seen winter images but the last ones I've saved have been approximately mid year or so, according the foliage and greenery present ..
. . ..
. ..

and Matte. . ..don't murder me .. but why do you want the topo maps??? ? ?..

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Topo maps show elevation lines. The closer the lines are to each other the steeper the terrain. Road, RR lines, lakes, rivers, towns, street, hiways etc are all shown. Once you understand how the elevation lines work you can really read the terrain. One other trick that works well is setting "handrails" and "backstops" for an area that you want to ride. You can fast navigate and as long as you don't cross your left or right handrail or your backstop you know you are inside the limits you set for that day. A good handrail or backstop is a road, river or other prominent feature. You should also learn how to shoot an azimuth.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for your reply .. .I do understand the workings of a topo map. .plenty of that from back in my Marine Corps days . .I was just wondering if there was a reason you would want that versus a sat. image . . .. I would rather see a "birdseye" view and can pretty well determine what the terrain looks like from that- I'm not saying a topo map wouldn't be better in some applications- .. ....so many times a sat. image has a bit of a sideways view anyway so that helps out. .. .leaving tracks on and marking waypoints anywhere I want to come back to are pretty dang easy on this thing too .. . .. I just like seeing the actual visual picture of where I am . .just my preference ..

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'm guessing that I'd like the birdseye view better as well. To see Terrain as well as seeing tree density etc, making it easier to find ways thru the forest.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I run a 655t and absolutely love it. Will be getting the Birdseye subscription for this year though! They are wonderful units and being able to communicate with your buds all day is priceless!

I

insanity

Feb 10, 2012
Langley
www.teragon.ca
I've had a garmin rino. I switched to the InReach from Delorme. I never looked at my Garmin when I rode the mountains. The Delorme links to your iPhone and allows texting where there is no cellular signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
ON THE 650, I can send messages to my Dads unit, mine will notify me of incoming...that's all good.
We have identical units.

But my inbox does NOT show the new messages. Can't find em. Can't see em. What's up with that?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Sorry never used the Birdseye, I am ignorant of that. My bro:face-icon-small-hap hooked me up with the maps.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I have a 650 and really like it's functionality. I've got the Birdseye, it works good and I over lay a topo on it too. I can toggle between the two types very easily. Nice being able to "see" my ridin buddies when they stick it in a tree well somewhere too. Only thing I don't like is the screen sucks...my cell phone has a WAY better screen...come on Garmin really? The screen looks like it's from 1987.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
I know you guys are talking about the 650 and 655. But, fwiw, I carry and use the GPSMap 62st and love it. I know guys who use the 650 and love that as well. I don't think you really can go wrong by most Garmin products. I also think that nothing replaces a good old compass as well. I always carry both no matter what.

Premium Features