• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin InReach Mini

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Looking to Buy the Garmin InReach Mini soon, and found another thread that was a bit hidden, so i wanted to bring it to this section to maybe get some feedback from those who have used this unit over the winter. Don't want to spend $300 if it is not that great. I have my phone with me at all times, and hear there can sometimes be interference issues with beacons.

Found a little info on keeping the phone a distance away from a beacon, and in airplane mode to use the tracking feature via bluetooth, and not have interference issues.

Just keep them at least 8" apart at all times, and 18" apart when conduction searches.

Does anyone have experience with still having issues if these recommendations were followed?

1590940843627.png

* a quick rule to follow, store your items at least 20cm (about 8" ) away from your transceiver when transmitting and about 50cm (about 20") when in search mode.

* try to store it at least 20cm (about 8") from the transceiver. If and when you do need to perform a search, remember to use the correct method and keep the transceiver outstretched from your body.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I don't have any input on the interference, but my beacon is near my waist, my phone is in my glovebox on the sled and the inreach mini is in my backpack, so the are all pretty far apart.

I used the mini on one trip this year and it does what I expected. The only reason I purchased it was to send pre-programmed messages to my wife and have the SOS function. It is cumbersome to send a detailed message on the unit, it can be done on a phone if it linked to it, but I haven't. It also doesn't do anything more than a compass for navigation, again, not what it's intended use is. I have Avenza on my phone for navigation. I am happy with it because it provides some additional safety for a low price.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
@jtpolaris - I see you put a sad face about the comment farmboy84 wrote.
Did you have a different experience than he did.
I am looking for comments on both the good and bad (if any) of the Garmin Inreach mini.
Knowing both sides will help me (and others) make a good decision on getting one of these.

jtpolaris

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ND
www.dirtracing17.com
@jtpolaris - I see you put a sad face about the comment farmboy84 wrote.
Did you have a different experience than he did.
I am looking for comments on both the good and bad (if any) of the Garmin Inreach mini.
Knowing both sides will help me (and others) make a good decision on getting one of these.
My bad accidently hit the button when i was scrolling down and didn't notice it. I was looking at these also.

Premium Features