• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

garage shop choices

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I need a little electrical advise
I have six lights and my box and switch are on opposite corners of the building.

Coming from the box with my white and green to the first light, and my black all the way over to the switch. Can I start my black on the last light or do I need to bring it all the way back to the first where the white starts?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I would draw up a blueprint of your wiring intentions, including types of outlets, wiring, fixtures etc and then have your inspector come look it all over & raise his issues before you even start.
There are so many small things that a guy just does not consider.
I am sure this will save you from doing some things twice.

I like to do a lot of my own work as well.
Electricians & electrical inspectors have a saying about guys like you & myself,
They say we know just enough to be dangerous!

Last edited:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I need a little electrical advise
I have six lights and my box and switch are on opposite corners of the building.
Coming from the box with my white and green to the first light, and my black all the way over to the switch. Can I start my black on the last light or do I need to bring it all the way back to the first where the white starts?

You need to run a neutral, ground, and power, (white, green, black) to your switch then loop from your switch to all six of your lights. It needs to be a continuous circuit with your switch as the interrupter or you inspector will not be impressed. Your lights and receptacles need to be on seperate circuits and also require different sized wire.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Lights are on, fans are up!

I did learn something, not all fans are created equal. These two turn at different rpm. I figured being the same brand and the only difference being the light kit that they were the same motor. Not the case! I have another on the way. I have them both wired to one wall switch.

So if anyone's looking for a new fan with a light kit minus the glass shade for fifty bux

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
its dang near time to start pulling projects in! just three more circuits, the welder compressor and air conditioner!

well then I need to work on the floor again with some goofy epoxy based stuff I bought to fill in the spalling

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Dang I'm slackin!!

I'm still working on infostructure and haven't painted the outside! I have managed to really mess up my floor surface and am now looking into some kind of concrete grinder to refinish my failed resurfacing
Any ideas it's now covered in an epoxy layer

Big cart for a big tig

Built a second little cart for my little xmt and ln25

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Ground my floor to a satisfactory finish. I used one of those 7" cup wheels from the home depot. It works really good. You have to make sure you don't hesitate or it'll grind a swirl if your not moving it. Make sure you have a heavy duty 7-9" grinder cause I burned up my 7" medium duty dewalt pretty quick.
It didn't turn out like a perfect flat new floor but considering my boched repair it turned out pretty good

Bought an airless paint sprayer

It did however blow up in my face
I wish the pic showed it better. The paint slicked my hair back and turned it all white. I winced and it painted my teeth too!! Haha

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
For what it is worth, I have really enjoyed this thread!
I'd update my garage thread, but I haven't done anything interesting for awhile :face-icon-small-dis

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
$.02

Lighting and receptacles can be on the same circuit but I wouldn't recommend it in your case. One thing you for sure don't want to do is have your lights on the load side of your GFCI's. Nuisance tripping.
I see you are running conduit. In that case, conductor colors are as follows. White is always neutral (ground). Green or bare is always the equipment ground. All other colors are hot conductors. You can also use the conduit as your equipment ground. A good rule of thumb for convenience receptacles is 10 receptacles per circuit. For equipment or appliances like a microwave, AC or refrigerator use a 20 amp dedicated circuit.
I currently have two 200 amp services in my house. One for regular power and one for off peak power. Regular power is 13.36 cents per KW and 4.8 cents per KW for off peak. Service ability charge is $42 per month.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Lighting and receptacles can be on the same circuit but I wouldn't recommend it in your case. One thing you for sure don't want to do is have your lights on the load side of your GFCI's. Nuisance tripping.
I see you are running conduit. In that case, conductor colors are as follows. White is always neutral (ground). Green or bare is always the equipment ground. All other colors are hot conductors. You can also use the conduit as your equipment ground. A good rule of thumb for convenience receptacles is 10 receptacles per circuit. For equipment or appliances like a microwave, AC or refrigerator use a 20 amp dedicated circuit.
I currently have two 200 amp services in my house. One for regular power and one for off peak power. Regular power is 13.36 cents per KW and 4.8 cents per KW for off peak. Service ability charge is $42 per month.

On that thought; being a fabricator by trade; I would not run near that many outlets on a circuit. I work my tools hard and 15 amp is a minimum, IMO. Also I find string all outlets on one wall to one circuit results in annoying trips ( cause you're working where your working). My preference is minimum of a 20 Amp circuit with every other or every third outlet on a circuit. More wire to run, but not near as many trips to the panel when your getting after it and working the tools. My $0.02

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
On that thought; being a fabricator by trade; I would not run near that many outlets on a circuit. I work my tools hard and 15 amp is a minimum, IMO. Also I find string all outlets on one wall to one circuit results in annoying trips ( cause you're working where your working). My preference is minimum of a 20 Amp circuit with every other or every third outlet on a circuit. More wire to run, but not near as many trips to the panel when your getting after it and working the tools. My $0.02
I agree. That is why I used the term convenience receptacles. Those are just general receptacles you would use for a table lamp, vacuum, TV, computer, etc. The others I would run 20 amp dedicated circuits like what you are talking about. I would be curious to see what kind of amps he's drawing under full load. In theory his potential is 48 KW. That's enough to power to easily heat a 5000 square foot house.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I guess I forgot to update where I ended up with the wires.

I have one circuit of 4 four gang outlets on the west wall lead by a gfci.
One circuit to one four gang then a switch to a led flood light right outside
One curcuit of outlets over the ceiling and over to the south wall of 2 doubles and one four gang.
One circuit runs across to the east side to one 4 gang. It's where my hvac will be.
One separate circuit runs the lights and fans. I have the fans on a single switch built for two or more fans
I'm going to branch off the ceiling outlet yet to run another four gang to the center of the south wall, and mount another two gang on the back of it outside with some conduit down into the ground to bury a line to put one outlet in the shed.
All are on twenty amp breakers
Well except my welders
One of those is a 120 amp and the other is a 65 then I have a 35 set up for my compressor I haven't set up yet

It all looks pretty clean I got all the outlets and fans in one run of conduit.

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I you run more than nine current carrying conductors in the same conduit you have to derate to 70% conductor ampacities. :face-icon-small-dis

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I don't know of anything that will stand up to your usage.
(welding, grinding, cutting etc)

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
http://www.duluthcoating.com/index.htm

These guys did the new Vikings stadium. I know a guy that works for them and he told me the floor coating they use is bullet proof. Super hard, 20,000 psi. Standard concrete hardness I think is 3500 to 5000 psi. A friend of mine had them do his business and he did his own garage and basement. He told me the carbides on his sled make a line on the floor but you just wipe it with a cloth and the mark is gone. Maybe give those guys a call. I am sure they would ship you what you need. $.02

Last edited:
Premium Features