• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garage floor covering?????

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
Just bought a new house and this time I want to keep the garage floor nice and clean without oil / grease spots from changing oil ect...

I've heard I can just pick up something to roll on but nobody seems to know what it's called or where to get it.

Can I just go to Home Depot or somewhere like that??

One thing I want to be sure of is I don't want to fall on my *** everytime I have snow on my feet, anyone know what to get????

Thanks.

Donald

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
You still living in the home of the goblers?

You can get epxoy floor paint at home depot, sears, just about anywhere.

I have heard that no matter what the claims are, that after a few years your tires will wear it out. Also carbides are a B for the flooring as well.

Let me know if you have good luck cause I hate my multi-stained floor look.

Jul 11, 2001
Waconia, MN
The best bang for the buck is the Rust-olium stuff with the optional clearcoat. I did just over 1000sf for about 450.00 when menards had the stuff on sale in the spring.

D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
thanks guys, i'll check it out later today.

x - moving just south of brainerd. work's going to be moving that direction for me and my wife allready works over there so it just makes sense rater than driving. maybe a little beter chance to grow my rain gutter business too.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Don't waste your time with the stuff from HD. It is designed to be easy to install and a garage floor done right is anything but. If you go that route, be prepared for failure in a short period of time. You will take your floor from a low to no maintenance surface to now a medium to high maintenance surface. There are epoxies, urethanes and polureas that will work excellent and make your floor look awesome and last a very long time but it's going to cost you. Nothing less than shot, bead or sand blasting, some grinding in the tight spots first, followed by the right products applied correctly. We do floors and the costs start at $6 sf and can go up to $35+ sf.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You can also buy non-slip additives to the epoxy floor paint to make them less slick. I have never done it but my guess its the more you spend the better the end result will. Kind of like you can use spray cans (Home Depot) to paint your car or you you can have a professional shop (commercial rated floor coverings) paint it your choice :face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You can also buy non-slip additives to the epoxy floor paint to make them less slick. I have never done it but my guess its the more you spend the better the end result will. Kind of like you can use spray cans (Home Depot) to paint your car or you you can have a professional shop (commercial rated floor coverings) paint it your choice :face-icon-small-coo

Ya, that is a SUPER IMPORTANT little tidbit there.
An epoxy floor is as SLICK as WET ICE when there is any water on it.

Add some SAND if you want any traction if its going to get WET.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
Just bought a new house and this time I want to keep the garage floor nice and clean without oil / grease spots from changing oil ect...

I've heard I can just pick up something to roll on but nobody seems to know what it's called or where to get it.

Can I just go to Home Depot or somewhere like that??

One thing I want to be sure of is I don't want to fall on my *** everytime I have snow on my feet, anyone know what to get????

Thanks.
garage flooring cincinnati
Donald
Yes, there are several options available for garage floor coatings that can help to protect the surface from oil and grease stains. Here are some things to consider:

1. Epoxy Coatings: Epoxy coatings are a popular choice for garage floors. They provide a durable and easy-to-clean surface that is resistant to oil and other chemicals. Epoxy coatings can be purchased at Home Depot and other home improvement stores.
  2. Polyurethane Coatings: Polyurethane coatings are another option that provide a similar level of protection to epoxy coatings. They are also resistant to oil and grease and are available at most home improvement stores.
  3. Non-Slip Additives: If you're concerned about slipping on the floor when it's wet or snowy, consider adding a non-slip additive to your coating. This will help to improve traction and prevent falls.
  4. Professional Installation: While you can certainly apply a garage floor coating yourself, it may be worth considering hiring a professional to ensure a high-quality finish and proper application.
When choosing a garage floor coating, make sure to read product reviews and do your research to ensure that the product you choose is a good fit for your needs and budget.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
Yes, there are several options available for garage floor coatings that can help to protect the surface from oil and grease stains. Here are some things to consider:

1. Epoxy Coatings: Epoxy coatings are a popular choice for garage floors. They provide a durable and easy-to-clean surface that is resistant to oil and other chemicals. Epoxy coatings can be purchased at Home Depot and other home improvement stores.
  2. Polyurethane Coatings: Polyurethane coatings are another option that provide a similar level of protection to epoxy coatings. They are also resistant to oil and grease and are available at most home improvement stores.
  3. Non-Slip Additives: If you're concerned about slipping on the floor when it's wet or snowy, consider adding a non-slip additive to your coating. This will help to improve traction and prevent falls.
  4. Professional Installation: While you can certainly apply a garage floor coating yourself, it may be worth considering hiring a professional to ensure a high-quality finish and proper application. Metallic Epoxy Flooring Houston
When choosing a garage floor coating, make sure to read product reviews and do your research to ensure that the product you choose is a good fit for your needs and budget.
wast this helpful?

Premium Features