• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FWIW: Stock 850 hood vs skins helium

C
Jan 14, 2020
Bought a 850 with some doohickeys already installed. One said doohickey was a helium hood.

Not a fan. The fit was kinda garbage, and the loss of headlights is a huge dealbreaker. The 3 lbs weight savings is easily negated by a lack of a 6-pack and 2 chili cheese dogs.

Finally put the stock hood back on today. The whole front end clips and fits together SO MUCH cleaner and tighter. The gaps in the hood are now 1mm vs maybe (optimistically) 8+ mm.
The heated zones in the skins is cool, but you have a tiny heated area in the stock hood. With a small rear bag and under seat bag i think its plenty. Its a mountain sled, not a touring sled!

Anyways, TL;DR, skins hood isnt worth it even not including I didnt pay for it. It's ugly and doesnt fit well.

20210914_184138.jpg

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
They do fit like garbage, but the larger heated storage does it for me, but i dont care about the headlight. The "heated area" in the stock hood sucks, i even bought a skinz bag and cut out the bottom of the stock hood and it still sucked, the headlight i feel blocks alot of the heat

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Premium Features