• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Future of education?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
How do you think we should change education for the better?

I think you forgot that YOU are the one who proposed that there are such great problems.

I'm willing to bet your child's teachers who you say haven't done right might not be too worried. Lol

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
No one has mentioned any other ideas since they have been so wrapped up in attacking mine.
Or you could have just watched the video in the first place and commented on THAT idea, which was supposed to be the point of this thread.:face-icon-small-win

Twenty years later we have not changed anything about how or when we are taught things.
If only there was an example of something that could be changed, maybe a new way of doing things, maybe a new way of teaching. Maybe even have it shown in a short 15 minute video. Maybe even have it linked on the first post of this thread.lol

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Or you could have just watched the video in the first place and commented on THAT idea, which was supposed to be the point of this thread.:face-icon-small-win

If only there was an example of something that could be changed, maybe a new way of doing things, maybe a new way of teaching. Maybe even have it shown in a short 15 minute video. Maybe even have it linked on the first post of this thread.lol

Lmfao.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

Touche, dik! :face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
No not all. It is however one of the main things I think we need to work on.
No one has mentioned any other ideas since they have been so wrapped up in attacking mine. Therefore we have used the entire thread debating my thoughts instead of talking different ideas.
I think we need to press our kids more on both math and science. However my daughter was in pre algebra this year in 7th grade. The same thing I was taught in 7th grade. Twenty years later we have not changed anything about how or when we are taught things.

That is an issue to take up with your State Dept of Education, who probably design the curriculum.

http://www.schools.utah.gov/main/

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
As a teacher,(special education teacher) I hate getting involved in threads about education. We just can't win. Education is a very tall ladder and teachers are at the bottom of said ladder. I am mandated to teach what I am told to by my bosses at the Admin building who get their instructions from the school board (I can't speak for other districts, just mine). We have what is called a GVC(Guaranteed Viable Curriculum) I am told what to teach and when to teach it down to each week of the school year. "Teachable Moments" are a thing of the past. I can't teach any subject that I am not "Highly Qualified" to do so by standards set by the Federal government's "No Child Left Behind".

That being said, there are bad teachers just like there are bad professionals in any profession but as teachers we are an easy target for the public and the school boards who want answers and scapegoats for failing education. I'm finishing my 13th year as a public education teacher and I'm going to tell folks what I think. Take it for what it's worth and here it is.

Education begins at home. not in the school. It begins at home. Time after time, I am expected to do the parents job. You know, little things like sending their kids to school prepared to learn. Showing up with a work ethic and an understanding of why it's important to do well at school. Showing up with the proper supplies such as a pencil and paper. Students are entitled to a "Free and Public Education" but if you ask me, it's more of a privilege, not an entitlement. Most kids in the world don't have that opportunity. American students(not all) do not make the most of this opportunity and that's not the teachers fault.

Bottom line for me, public education is doing a damn good job and it is replete with good people that have dedicated their lives to the teaching craft. It doesn't matter how well funded a school is or how qualified the teachers are (and they are), I can't make a child learn anything unless he or she is there with a mindset that what they are doing is important to themselves and their community. That value comes from the culture of the home. I can enforce that value but it is the job of the parent to instill it long before a student gets to me. Students that come to school ready and willing to learn do so and well.

So in conclusion to all you naysayers, when you’re spreading blame around, make sure you look at all aspects of that really tall ladder called Public Education.

Education begins at home.

P.S.- Hope I didn't make to many spelling/grammar errors.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So in conclusion to all you naysayers, when you’re spreading blame around, make sure you look at all aspects of that really tall ladder called Public Education.
and you didn't watch the video eithe?r... lmao!!

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
After watching the vid I have no real argument toward it other than logistics of working in a school that uses pacing guides and expects students and teaches to be in the same place at the same time. TIred nyquil talk right know but I'll be back.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
The video concept would not work for me as I become very bored watching things on the tube and fall asleep. I made it through about 6 minutes of the video before I closed it and moved on. That is the way I am and I am sure many others are the same. So as in any form of education this is one more thing that would not work for all. From what I did see of the video he was talking about kids watching instuctional videos at home and the homework would be done at school. Correct? One thing you need to remember is that the kids need to watch the videos at home. Are the parents going to make sure they do it? Hell parents don't even want their kids to have homework now! You have got to understand the powers to be are trying to make education a cookie cutter program which it cannot be. But in order to make it work for everyone and have more one on one time for educator to student, class sizes would need to be much smalle than they are now. And we as the taxpayers who support education are not willing to pay for it. My wife doesn't need to watch the video she is all for more time with each student and she hates the blended classrooms that they have now. She has a Masters degree in Special Education and taught SSpecial Education for over a decade and now is in regular ed. She sees kids now integrated into regular ed classrooms now that they would have never thought to put there when she was teaching special ed. Why? youmay ask. It goes back to the parents. Parents are forcing schools to put their kids with special needs into regular classrooms because they can't deal with the fact that their kids aren't the same as others. The sad part of it is that their kid doesn't get the attention they need and the whole class suffers because of the disruptions that happen and the time the teacher has to spend dealing with them.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
No. I must confess I didn't. I've just had some pent opinions about education in general and was compelled to share them.
It seems you are not the only one... lol

After watching the vid I have no real argument toward it other than logistics of working in a school that uses pacing guides and expects students and teaches to be in the same place at the same time.
Good point. Though it didn't seem to me that it was a total free for all, just that there is an ability for the children to go back and revisit past subjects easier, or continue with a subject for a longer time if needed. You are right, there needs to be some sort of coherence to make this happen as you can't have everyone all over the place.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The video concept would not work for me as I become very bored watching things on the tube and fall asleep. I made it through about 6 minutes of the video before I closed it and moved on.
really? What is your attention span when it comes to watching a lecture in person? About the same? If so, then what is the difference? I see one benefit is that if a child looses interest in the video and stops it, they can start again where the left off. If they stop paying attention in a lecture, it is difficult to revisit that same material.

It might be best to watch the rest of it, as a lot of the data about how the children utilized this resource and how they benefited from it was towards the end of the movie.

One thing you need to remember is that the kids need to watch the videos at home. Are the parents going to make sure they do it? Hell parents don't even want their kids to have homework now!
Correct, but I don't think that is a valid reason to discredit this method. This is a problem with parenting NOT teaching method.

You have got to understand the powers to be are trying to make education a cookie cutter program which it cannot be.
Who are they? Did you just put your tin foil hat on?

But in order to make it work for everyone and have more one on one time for educator to student, class sizes would need to be much smalle than they are now.
no, not really, like the VIDEO stated many times, all you need to do is increase the quality of the time the students spend in class. With better appropriate tools a teacher can understand where specific children need help and offer that help. They can also easily pair up children together to have them help each other. By removing the lectures from the class room, you can better utilize that time with student - teacher interaction. Just like the fricken video stated that you didn't seem to be able to watch.. It seems like you are just more interested in talking then listening...

My wife doesn't need to watch the video she is all for more time with each student and she hates the blended classrooms that they have now.
Why don't you let your wife figure it out for herself? Are you scared she will think the idea is interesting and has some merit? Or are you worried that she might actually be able to watch the whole thing in one sitting and make you look bad?

You know, you spent an awful lot of time discussing a subject that you didn't have more then 6 minutes to learn about and think you are an expert on the concept even though you only saw less then 1/2 of the video.

What are you going to school for? You are in college, right?

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
I know the comment is a little late but just graduating high school two years ago I have to agree with skidoorulz that a big problem is the performers and non performers being grouped together. Teacher must cater to the kids that don't care and it holds the ones that do, back. Kids need to be grouped together with others on the same level it helps learning.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I know the comment is a little late but just graduating high school two years ago I have to agree with skidoorulz that a big problem is the performers and non performers being grouped together. Teacher must cater to the kids that don't care and it holds the ones that do, back. Kids need to be grouped together with others on the same level it helps learning.
actually, a lot of times in HS they are not. Even in junior high. Most schools have AP math and english classes...

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
really? What is your attention span when it comes to watching a lecture in person? About the same? If so, then what is the difference? I see one benefit is that if a child looses interest in the video and stops it, they can start again where the left off. If they stop paying attention in a lecture, it is difficult to revisit that same material.

It might be best to watch the rest of it, as a lot of the data about how the children utilized this resource and how they benefited from it was towards the end of the movie.

Correct, but I don't think that is a valid reason to discredit this method. This is a problem with parenting NOT teaching method.

Who are they? Did you just put your tin foil hat on?

no, not really, like the VIDEO stated many times, all you need to do is increase the quality of the time the students spend in class. With better appropriate tools a teacher can understand where specific children need help and offer that help. They can also easily pair up children together to have them help each other. By removing the lectures from the class room, you can better utilize that time with student - teacher interaction. Just like the fricken video stated that you didn't seem to be able to watch.. It seems like you are just more interested in talking then listening...

Why don't you let your wife figure it out for herself? Are you scared she will think the idea is interesting and has some merit? Or are you worried that she might actually be able to watch the whole thing in one sitting and make you look bad?

You know, you spent an awful lot of time discussing a subject that you didn't have more then 6 minutes to learn about and think you are an expert on the concept even though you only saw less then 1/2 of the video.

What are you going to school for? You are in college, right?

I had a long response but then decide not to bring myself down to your level

Last edited:
Premium Features