• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel tank weight

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Or why we can’t get a cool skinz one like burandt with the oil bottle built in and less capacity for those of us that don’t need it?
You wouldn't want any smaller on the doo. They are already over 2 gallons smaller than everyone else. Better have and not need than need and not have. I do agree that all the tanks should an oil tank incorporated that can be filled outside and not have an oil tank over the clutch or the hideous arctic cat tank. More weight centered.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
You wouldn't want any smaller on the doo. They are already over 2 gallons smaller than everyone else. Better have and not need than need and not have. I do agree that all the tanks should an oil tank incorporated that can be filled outside and not have an oil tank over the clutch or the hideous arctic cat tank. More weight centered.
I disagree. On the deepest of days the most I have ever used is 6 gallons. I could get by with a 7.5 or 8 gallon lightweight tank no issues

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That is what the aftermarket is for. Factory will stick with norms. I would be out of gas with the tank you want. Maybe skinz would make what you want but i don't think you have people pushing stuff for doo like burandt does for Polaris. I don't think it's the size of tank. It's more you're wanting lighter weight and the oil tank attached like i do. Gets it off the clutch side and centers more weight up. That is the biggest thing to me.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
And if you go look at my first post I said it would be cool if skinz made one for the doo. Maybe they can integrate oil bottle and keep capacity and still lose a good chuck of weight doesn’t matter to me but I think there some on the table for us wanting a super lightweight sled

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
What weight doo you think that you are gunna lose?

I just put a 5 gallon jerry on the scale at 3.04# including spout.
So - a 10 gallon tank that is built 1/2 aggin thicker (?) would be all of 7.5# at the most.

So - if you go to an 8 gallon tank, you shave 1.5# at best.
Go to thinner material, and you lose 2 more pounds.

How much $ are you willing to $pend to lose 3.5#, while all the while also losing 2 gallon capacity?
Maybe you could just not fill it up?
Only puting 6 gallons in it would save you 24#.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I don't understand the fuss on the gas tank being changed. If you just look at your digital gas gauge, at least on mine and the people I ride with, it is almost always showing 1/2 a tank of gas even after riding for 60 miles. When it's full it only shows 1/2 a tank. Sometimes it jumps up to 3/4 so I'm sure I've still got gas :rolleyes: . No one knows how much gas anyone actually has with these super doper high tech digital gauges. I love filling up at the gas station to overflowing and then when I get to the mountain and take off the cap just for the heck of it, I can add another 1/2 gallon or so. I don't see any problems with the gas tanks. No redesign needed. Oh and I love how after how many years no one except cat had the bright idea of making the gas cap and filler neck a little bigger so you could actually see inside before spilling gas all over your $15k to $20k sled, and cat only did it because it was the only way to get the fuel pump in and out of the fuel tank (at least on the old M's, not familiar with the newer ones). Progress I say, progress...

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
I can’t wait til a new lightweight option comes out and then that will be the greatest thing since canned beer. I’ll be waiting to refer back to this post. Btw if you have another guy sit on the tunnel while filling up you can put another gallon in. Thank me later

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
There are a lot of rides where I only use 7.5 gallons but when I get back to the truck I dont want to be running on fumes so an extra 3 gallons is great insurance because you aren‘t at the truck until you’re there.

Premium Features