• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel pump

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
My 11 m8 is loosing all fuel pressure couple minutes after shutting it off. It's not leaky injectors as i capped the line after the psi guage and it still lost psi after cranking a few times. The pump was not submerged in gas all summer like i've read they should be. Are there any brands of pumps that i should stay away from? Looking at the walbro or quantum. Are they the same pump just rebadged? Better options? Not buying the cat pump.....

edit:

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
only buy the walbro. i just had to put a pump in an 01 mtn cat and got a pump from the fuel pump factory and it pulled too many amps and wouldnt provide full pressure. then put in a genuine walbro and it works perfect. read on a forum where a few other guys said the same thing. there is a check valve in the pump too that may be the problem.

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Update: So i put the new pump in and cranked what seemed like forever and it would sputter every 5th ish pull. Buddy looked in tank while cranking and fuel was running down all over pump. Pulled pump and decided the little pc of 5/16 fuel line between the pump and pump housing wasn't sealing good (new pump don't come with one and not listed in parts diagram). Installed new piece and sled started on 2nd pull. Runs normal pressure at idle. Problem is pressure drops to 0 fast after shutting it off and i'd swear it used to hold pressure. Starts first pull even from 0 psi though. When i shut it off i can see in the tank the bdx regulator dumping the pressure. I put the bdx on last yr and maybe this is normal. Ideas??? Normal run it or regulator is screwed up? Thanks

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Update: So i put the new pump in and cranked what seemed like forever and it would sputter every 5th ish pull. Buddy looked in tank while cranking and fuel was running down all over pump. Pulled pump and decided the little pc of 5/16 fuel line between the pump and pump housing wasn't sealing good (new pump don't come with one and not listed in parts diagram). Installed new piece and sled started on 2nd pull. Runs normal pressure at idle. Problem is pressure drops to 0 fast after shutting it off and i'd swear it used to hold pressure. Starts first pull even from 0 psi though. When i shut it off i can see in the tank the bdx regulator dumping the pressure. I put the bdx on last yr and maybe this is normal. Ideas??? Normal run it or regulator is screwed up? Thanks

edit: pulled regulator off and could blow through outlet easily. Took apart body and everything appeared normal. Put back together and could not blow through outlet. Thought it was fixed but still drops fast to 10 then slowly to zero. Afraid to peel the diaphram looking thing off as i will prob ruin it.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Almost sounds like a debris issue. Have you tried soaking in a solvent like seafoam? Or adding that to gas and giving it some time?

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
In closing this thread i did peel off the diaphram in the bdx regulator and didn't break it. I believe the leakage was between the brass regulator plunger and the housing it seats on. It's a metal/metal seal that had small leakage. Installed a 5/16 in line check valve and holds psi now.

Premium Features