• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel injection required colorado?

B
Feb 28, 2014
I'm thinking of getting an 02 KTM 520sx to use as a dirt bike in the summer and snow bike in the winter. But I have been told you really need a fuel injected bike in the winter to deal with the elevation changes and high alpine in colorado, is that true? I have a lot of experience with sleds and dirt bikes but not snow bikes. I don't need the latest and greatest but something capable, defiantly would be boon docking and not trail riding. Probably 8000-1200 feet.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I'm thinking of getting an 02 KTM 520sx to use as a dirt bike in the summer and snow bike in the winter. But I have been told you really need a fuel injected bike in the winter to deal with the elevation changes and high alpine in colorado, is that true? I have a lot of experience with sleds and dirt bikes but not snow bikes. I don't need the latest and greatest but something capable, defiantly would be boon docking and not trail riding. Probably 8000-1200 feet.
I rode a 520 sx for a season with no issues both in the u.p. of Michigan and Montana.

Deep blower powder and super hero spring snow.

I had cold and warm jetting for high and low elevation. Took a little experimenting but once I had my setup it was great.

That motor makes a great platform for additions down the road...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
You don't need fuel injection to change 4000 feet especially in a 4 stroke. Fi can sometimes start better, make a little more power on a 4 stroke and better emissions but the biggest advantage to fi is it won't freeze up like a carb. 4 stroke carbs don't seem to freeze as bad as 2 strokes but they still can. The 520 was a great bike and started better than the new fi bikes so should be fine with just a good wrap and t-stat. Just don't expect to have more power than a new 450 it will be less.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I have been riding for 3 years on both carb and FI snowbikes. I have had no issues with the carb bike at all. As stated above the 4 strokes are pretty forgiving in regards to jetting, I ride from 2000' to 9000' and have not had to change jets within this range. I do have a carb heater on it but rarely use it or need it, only in certain powder conditions. The fuel injected bike is nice when you fall over, they shut off nice and restart very easy, however, I have not had issues in this regard with my carb either.
Don't hesitate to try it if you have the bike, there are nowhere near the issues that you hear about on the internet.

Premium Features