• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front trenching need help bad

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
Well guys i new i was going to have a problem but i didnt think this bad i got a indy 500 i drop the rear skid down 1" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear , and i know i need shocks bc there so bad there bottem out just sitting parked how high should i raise the front ,? I got 2" camoplast lug track its all geared , needs 8" skis , but its nosie driving into the poweder bad , factory lenght shocks are i think 15" i was going to do 17" or 18" because by the time you put weight on them your going to gain a inch of ride height , of non blown shocks , any other advice guys ?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
If you put longer shocks on the front you will lose control. The skis will scrub hard and throw you from side to side. If you have an eary Indy look for a later year spindle that is taller or a ski with a taller keel or spindle pocket. Longer shocks change geometry with very negative affects.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
So most likely new replacement shocks will be a big diffrence then what i got now ? Like i said just parked with the springs turned all the way up , its bottemd out !! In the front end , what year had taller spindles ??? Edge ?Wedge ? Im sorry my indy is a 98 i got crc front end

Last edited:

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
I read your post and cant tell if your having problems with the sled trenching or if the problem is you have to much ski pressure ???????

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
When you lift the rear bumper up to the point the track comes off the ground, does the rear of the track come off first, the front come off first, or both about equal?

Pictures might help us see how your sled sits.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
I will check tmmrw , and snojet i cant my lugs will hit the tunnel , i think its ski pressure i was is in 2 ft powder and it felt like it just wanted to stay stright i couldnt turn ! I posted pics of my sled under show me your indys mines painted white orange pink and yellow crazy paint job with , rmk seat and tank i will get pictures tommrw of the suspension stance

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
TRS is correct. I put 1" longer shocks on my indy 400 and it completly screwed up my front end. It sat higher in the front but the geometry was out and I am guessing that something to do with the radius rods kept the front end from actually being able to compress so I actually lost travel with longer shocks. I might have been able to get different radius rods but I just switched back to stock shock.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I will check tmmrw , and snojet i cant my lugs will hit the tunnel , i think its ski pressure i was is in 2 ft powder and it felt like it just wanted to stay stright i couldnt turn ! I posted pics of my sled under show me your indys mines painted white orange pink and yellow crazy paint job with , rmk seat and tank i will get pictures tommrw of the suspension stance

Looking at your pictures, the back end is really high.

Not sure if you took "before" measurements but unless you can lift the front end roughly the same amount as you've lifted the back end, you are going to have handling issues.

I've been researching a similar mod for my son's Indy Lite & it is apparent that lifting the front end on any IFS entails a "full meal deal" approach. If you change the ride height all components must be changed together - Shocks, radius / tie rods, & trailing arms. Changing components separately may achieve the desired ride height but suspension geometry is negatively affected resulting in excessive bump steer & possibly other issues.

It may be possible to take the entire front suspension package from another model of snowmobile(but same chassis) that has a higher ride height & successfully retrofit your machine. Like what Rattlin_Ram did on this thread: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386014

VB & TRS's suggestion of using a longer spindle looks to be about the simplest & most cost effective solution although it looks like you will need a bit more lift than that alone.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
Ohh thank you merlin ! Yeh front half of the track is droped 1" andvthe rear is 1 1/2" and i been trying to lift the front up 1" higher but all these coil spring are too light ! I might do air shocks and the whole works the aled dosnt owe me anything so i might as well doit

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Ohh thank you merlin ! Yeh front half of the track is droped 1" andvthe rear is 1 1/2" and i been trying to lift the front up 1" higher but all these coil spring are too light ! I might do air shocks and the whole works the aled dosnt owe me anything so i might as well doit

If the front end already has excessive sag you may be able to gain the required lift simply with a combination of stiffer springs & taller spindles.

As long as you don't change the front shock length your handling characteristics shouldn't be impacted.

You may still have to reposition the front of the skid to obtain the correct weight distribution / ski pressure.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
take some pics of this thing sittin flat on the ground. what year is sled? i wouldnt take the powermodz guy too serious, most of his stuff is trial and error, hes a pro at making the vids tho

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
looks good. is that like a 97-98? if it came stock with that skid, i bet you did not need to drop the skid down to clear a 2". rubbage marks inside the tunnel in a couple places is normal. i been squeezin them in with 8 tooth drivers and all else stock for years on wedge models with the x-10. 9 tooths on the crc models.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
It wouldnt have cleared the front cooler by the driver on the indy they put it low down it only had a 1 - 1/2" clearence , like i said ig i ever do this agen vei u - cooler and new rad hoses and im done , if my front shocks were not shot i would be fine , i took them apart and pull the springs off of them and they dont do anything lol !! There sealed gas shocks they inly last like 3-4 years untill the gass's dryoit and heat up and leak out

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
interesting. you got some gas shocks on there that need rebuilding huh. the regular shocks dont offer any push up, only dampening, so was kinda like why does he think new shocks are gonna make it sit higher?lol
any rate, id beg borrow or steal to get a set of plastic skis on there. and try those extended spindles while your at it. the combo might feel like a new sled.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-XC7...800-/391039128911?hash=item5b0bbf954f&vxp=mtr

Premium Features