• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fried my clutch after 2 hrs of riding on a brand new bike.

S
Nov 22, 2017
Just a note, my wife has the same setup as the OP and I just did another oil change, took the PST blanket down and it had no heat transfer or signs of melting like the pics in the first few posts. She's hit 230 on the trail with rad block offs still in, nowhere near the heat generated on the clutch cover as OP's.

E
Dec 14, 2020
I installed a torque drive clutch and it lasted to end of season but when I took it apart the steels had weird marks in them but still well within spec for thickness. I ended up selling the bike because I moved to the desert. Never figured out why it happened in the first place though.

P
May 26, 2020
Strange… I’ve got an RM295 that’s got a slipping clutch. I’ve installed a new Wiseco basket, new OEM plates, HD springs and Hinson Billet pressure plate and it’s still slipping. I may try Recluse friction plates but I’m close to abandoning this RM as a snow bike platform…

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I think that your inner hub is installed wrong - thrust washer missing? wrong one...? I pound stock and rekluse yz450f clutches for years as dirt and snow bikes before needing to replace the plates. Got a service manual? if not let me know the year and I'll share specs... they are all the same 13-23. but i have 13/15/18/21 manuals to reference if you need some stock tolerance or specs.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I think that your inner hub is installed wrong - thrust washer missing? wrong one...? I pound stock and rekluse yz450f clutches for years as dirt and snow bikes before needing to replace the plates. Got a service manual? if not let me know the year and I'll share specs... they are all the same 13-23. but i have 13/15/18/21 manuals to reference if you need some stock tolerance or specs.
The OP sold the bike and moved to the desert.

Premium Features