• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fridge Question/Help ??

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I've got a fridge in garage that quit working the other day. It's been getting below freezing in there at night so I unplugged it and let it sit a few days. Tried it again yesterday and no go. Today was a little warmer and when I loaded it up to go to the repairman some water ran out. Decided to try again and it works. Anyway what do I do to keep this from happening again. I'm not a Maytag man.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
This happened to me last year. My meat and ice cream wouldn't stay frozen. The technician said that it was the fact that it was freezing in the garage. he explained it to me just like this, "The temp sensor on the fridge "thinks" that the fridge is cold and therefore will not kick on."

When I moved the fridge to the basement where it was warmer I didn't have any problems at all.

I don't know why ice cream melts when the temp in the garage was 20-30 degrees, but it did. Hope this helps.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
The temp sensor is inside the fridge. Therefore it senses the temp inside the fridge not the garage. So if the temp inside the fridge is warm enough for the sensor to tell the compressor to run, it will regardless whether it is -50 or
+100 in the garage. My guess for both of you is a loose wire? or a locked rotor? or a stuck temp sensor? or a stuck defrost timer? with the timer being the most likly cause. And by moving the fridge you jarred something loose. The water that ran out when you loaded it, is just condensation that is sitting in the condensate pan and it ran out when you tipped it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
freezer

The temp sensor monitors the fridge not the freezer and when it is cold enough in the fridge it won't come on and keep the freezer portion cold enough, I turn the thermostat way cold and it helps but I don't keep expensive stuff in the outside fridge during the winter. Swampy:)

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Thanks for the help you saved me some coin. Fridge was on lowest setting and I cranked it colder. The compressor fired up fine. Cheers

Premium Features