• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fresh oil in exhaust pipe after storage

J
Nov 19, 2019
I have 2001 RMK 800, put it into summer storage by fogging in April, went to start it last week and it ran a few seconds then stopped. Compression is good on both sides (150psI) and I have spark and fuel. Pulled the carbs and the floats are working, but when I pulled the exhaust pipe there was a lot of fresh oil that drained out? Is this a check valve issue with the oil injection system? What else should I be thinking of? Don't have a ton of experience with this type of issue. The repair manual doesn't provide a lot of clues. Thanks for any help!

J
Nov 19, 2019
I should have stated that the sled will not start now, as it usually does burn off the excess in the first ride. This was about 10 ounces of fresh two stroke oil that spilled out of the exhaust pipe when I pulled it off, so more than normal

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Have you pulled the drain plugs on the crankcase to ensure all the oil is out?
After doing that you could try priming with a tablespoon of gas into each spark plug hole.

J
Nov 19, 2019
Okay, new question. I pulled the starter rope housing to put in a new water pump belt and found a small amount of fresh two stroke oil in the bottom. See photo near the bottom. I’m hoping this doesn’t mean my crank seal is leaking...
179FE4A4-73E4-4779-A9E0-7F470BDA4095.jpeg

J
Nov 19, 2019
I can’t tell how this got into that space, I don’t see oil anywhere except the bottom of the space, it’s not on the stator housing or sprayed about the inside of the housing.

J
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks retiredpop, put some wd-40 on the plugs overnight as I couldn't budge them, hoping to see if I can back at least one out today. I think the previous owner used red thread locker on every bolt on this thing. :( If oil drains out, I'm going to assume an oil line was leaking into the block all summer and try and start it back up. Go from there...

J
Nov 19, 2019
To wrap this post up: I pulled the drain plugs on the front of the block and a lot of oil came out. After sitting for a few days I had a chance to put it all back together and it started with no issues. Guessing the summer temps combined with a full oil tank created enough pressure to overcome the check valves. Will be draining the oil for summer storage at the end of this season. Thanks for everyone’s help!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
might need a new oil pump, but yeah, dont fill before storage, i never do with mechanical pumps, gravity will do its thing.

Premium Features