• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

free ride vs summit x

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Not in my opinion. I have had both and ridden them back to back.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Looks like the main diff between them is weight and shocks so I would expect them to be almost identical. I have been looking at the brochures today, otherwise I wouldnt have a clue, lol.

The catalog on their web site has a cool comparison chart on page 70.

P
Feb 18, 2014
They can be almost identical if you set them that way. The cool part about the free ride is how easy it is to adjust the shocks. I have really enjoyed adjusting the shocks on my free ride turbo 165. Sometimes in deep snow the sp and x shocks can be so easy to initiate you find yourself overriding the sled in certain snow conditions. Its also really nice to adjust them before jumps and drops and the ride out. Overall adjusting even just the front shocks throughout the day can make a big difference in the comfort level. I have never had upgraded shocks before this free ride and now i think i might have to buy some shocks for my wife's 850 sp.
cheers

T
Dec 20, 2018
does the freeride take a little more effort to roll up on edge than the other summit models of same track length
i'd beg to differ...had both....just go to your local dealership if its possible sit on both...then stand up and lift a ski with your body weight...there is a difference mainly due to the stifness of the freeride....Ran both and an expert is enough for me...ill upgrade the shocks if need be...

P
Feb 18, 2014
Ive never done a comparison on concrete. Everything is the same except the shock package riser bar height and rail reinforcement. When i turn down the free ride shocks it feels very similar to my wife's sp . We have been jumping back and forth between the two sleds. Both are 165. I believe the shock upgrade allows you too adjust for rider preference or snow condition. I will confess i am no shock guru. I have not even been adjusting the spring preload on the free ride shocks just the upper valve knob. There seems to be a lot of ways to set it up. And i do prefer it to be a little stiffer like the experts valving vs the sp.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i like having the ability to adjust the shocks on my '20 Freeride. i have them set up to be a little more plush but when hitting whooped out trails on the way to the pow or doubling my snowboarding friends, it's nice to be able to quickly adjust them to a firmer setting. went with the Freeride again for '22.

Premium Features