• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox RTS on twin rail vs. Alpha

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
What is the difference between the rear track Fox Float QSL shock for a 2019 twin rail and a 2019 Alpha, other than about $500? They both appear to have the same eye to eye measurement and look the same. Is it all in the valving, or am I missing something? What makes this shock so expensive!?

I want to find a RTS for my Alpha conversion and was told the '19 Alpha RTS was the best way to go. I also like the idea of being able to quickly change the amount of transfer using settings on this RTS.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
When I did my Alpha conversion on a 18 Mountain Cat, I was able to re-use the rear QSL shock. The front skid shock is specific to the Alpha though, due to the upper eye mounting angle.
I'm doing an Alpha conversion on a '17 Mountain Cat (and the Ice Age Alpha Elevate kit) so I have the Evol shocks which may work just fine. Not sure if the Evol will work in the front now though due the mounting angle. Ideally, I would like to re-use the front Evol shock that came with my sled stock, and replace the rear shock with a QSL shock that gives me the ability to adjust the amount of transfer easily on the hill. Ice Age claims that the QSL shock (AC part no. 3704-279) that came with the '19 Alpha performs the best with their kit. New, this shock lists for over $900!

The QSL that came with the '18 and '19 twin rail models (AC part no. 3704-218) is much more reasonable in price and looks the same but with probably different valving. How did your '18 twin rail QSL shock perform in the Alpha skid? That might be the direction I go, and have valving done to that shock to make it similar to the stock Alpha RTS.

Thanks for the input!

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It works well, I did have it re-valved and added a Hygear dual pressure chamber (basically a larger bolt-on EVOL chamber). But I did that back when I was still running twin rails and mainly for my weight/riding style. Not sure what the valving difference is between the 18 and 19 Alpha shock, but I do know that it's a straight bolt on.
You may be able to re-use your front EVOL shock. I couldn't re-use my 18 QS3 shock because the remote reservoir would hit the front arm. That being said the QS3 reservoir is larger then the EVOL chamber, so it may clear OK.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Thanks! It sounds promising, will probably just have to try it out and see what works and/or fits.

Premium Features