• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forum update issues topic

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
? I have everything check in my settings to receive email notifications.
The one has NOTHING at all to do with the other.
That checklist controls the internal setting here INSIDE of the forums.
All e-mail from the forums is then sent outside to SENDGRID which handles our user lists and allows members to OPT-OUT for any number of different reasons. If you OPT-OUT of any e-mail for any reason EVER, then you opt out of EVERY E-MAIL for ever.

Categories we track include...
Global Unsubscribe
Group Unsubscribe
Bounce
Spam Report
Blocks

Invalid address

You can put yourself into one of those AND your ISP can put your e-mail account into one of those.
But we are required to maintain those "Opt-Out" lists and NOT send anything to anyone that is listed.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Hi Chris,
Heya Chris, I suspect most users will not understand that if they click the unsubscribe button on any snowest forum email that they are permanently opting out of all forum email notifications. The terminology doesn't make that clear. Could the wording in the trailer of the email be changed to align with what is really happening? Make it clear the user is permanently opting out of all future snowest emails and inform them if the user wants to adjust their notifications on a non-permanent, adjustable and more granular level, they should do so via their user preferences page rather than the opt out. And then link to the user preferences page. The "permanently opt out" wording would be much more clear that the current "unsubscribe" terminology since the opt out can not then be adjusted on the preferences page. Would save a ton of your admin time, too, as i suspect the current wording will have many users permanently opted out rather than there intended unsubscribe from one specific email list, like the newsletter, and then they are opted out of all emails including thread activity emails and conversation notifications.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is what it says at the very top of every blast we send out

Note: You are receiving this email because you are a member of SnowestOnline.com.
You can opt out of these emails by Clicking Here at any time.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Is there a possibility something happened in the change over because I dont ever recall opting out of getting emails from the forum? If I recall I was receiving some emails before the change over.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The main body does now show improved wording, but the footer is what stands out the most (circled in the attached image) and I suspect that "unsubscribe" link is the one permanently opting people out of all snowest emails.

snowest.JPG

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is there a possibility something happened in the change over because I dont ever recall opting out of getting emails from the forum? If I recall I was receiving some emails before the change over.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't "THINK" so.
The automated e-mail system is entirely external and separate from the forums.
Has been for many years now.

Now, that said, there was also a manual system that i think was in place were I could blast out traffic directly to the forum members that might well have bypassed the e-mail server. So it IS possible you got those e-mails even though your address may have been on a suspension list.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The main body does now show improved wording, but the footer is what stands out the most (circled in the attached image) and I suspect that "unsubscribe" link is the one permanently opting people out of all snowest emails.
Not sure WHERE that actual text comes from deep in the bowels of the code source
But I agree, the wording could be better and clearer and I would be happy to update it if I could find it..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, do we still have support for the snowtel ticker ?

Thanks!

TecCrash

Not "YET"
It IS coming though.
My current list of "TO DO" has about a half dozen projects on it.
Thats one of them.
But that one is 100% pure custom hand written code.
So its one of the harder ones.

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
Not "YET"
It IS coming though.
My current list of "TO DO" has about a half dozen projects on it.
Thats one of them.
But that one is 100% pure custom hand written code.
So its one of the harder ones.

Thanks! That was a twice daily check in for me, just to see where the snow was coming down. I'll keep using my Snotel App until you can get it back up and running!

Thanks!

TecCrash

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks! That was a twice daily check in for me, just to see where the snow was coming down. I'll keep using my Snotel App until you can get it back up and running!

Thanks!

TecCrash

Same for me
I tracked 5 different stations regularly myself

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
@christopher The New Posts section seems to have quit updating (both on desktop & mobile). Refreshing the whole page isn't even updating it. I'm having to click the "what's new" tab, then click back on the "new posts" tab, to get it to update. In other words the "treadmill" is broken! ;)

S
Jan 28, 2019
How come I cant send a PM to any members? it just goes to a page that says:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How come I cant send a PM to any members? it just goes to a page that says:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action
I think that is a function of your being a Free Member.
Upgrade to Premium and that will vanish and all of the other features will activate.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Is there somewhere to opt out of all the damn ads? I can't even see the forum because of Cheez it ads and data shop banners or Amazon trying to sell me Raisin bran

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Can the silly, automated word replacement be turned off? The site still changes "y o u" to "ewe" which is fairly annoying and goofy. There are plenty of users using incorrect words and grammar already. No reason to automate it. Ha.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Can the silly, automated word replacement be turned off? The site still changes "y o u" to "ewe" which is fairly annoying and goofy. There are plenty of users using incorrect words and grammar already. No reason to automate it. Ha.
XenForo, the forum software we are now running, does NOT have a Spell Checker built into it.
Whatever you are seeing, is coming from YOUR personal Web Browser interface.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
XenForo, the forum software we are now running, does NOT have a Spell Checker built into it.
Whatever you are seeing, is coming from YOUR personal Web Browser interface.

Hmm. Strange. Or maybe it's the app that some of the users are using. But I've only seen it on snowest and it doesn't matter what app, web browser, tablet, phone or computer I use. And it's too prolific to be a users mis-spelling it. I've thought it strange for years and was hoping the new upgrade would eliminate it, but if it's not snowest, I wonder what app people are using that is doing it. And the stange part is they can't see it. Only other users.

I don't think it happens when I type it. Here is a test from my end. You should show up as "y o u" with no spaces rather than "ewe". Can you let me know how it shows up?

Premium Features