• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fork rebound settings

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I'm wondering what people are doing with rebound settings. would faster rebound get you off the bottom quicker after a jump in deep pow? would it push the ski deeper into hidden obstacles in lower snow conditions? thoughts?

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm super picky about rebound in the dirt and revalve my own suspension with good results. That said in powder I honestly can't tell a diff at all from rebound changes. On trail whoops in hard snow it does matter a little but the dirt settings seem fine. The pre 4cs ktm forks and the stock aer flow both ways through the rebound clicker so of you need a quick way to stiffen low speed compression just crank the rebound all the way in. It slows down both directions but still seems better than an un modified dirt fork.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Snow and dirt are like riding on 2 different planets. Look at how slow the typical skid shocks rebound, it would never work for moto with a tire. All the more reason why I feel conversions are kind of dumb but it's all we got until the factories give us purpose built bikes.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
In firm snow I liked my forks a lot better after I added some 2 shims to the rebound stack, in the pow I didn't notice much difference. I had .60 fork springs.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Stiffer springs should always require stiffer/slower rebound settings but still many won't notice. In pow it's like tuning the suspension on a jet ski.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I was just thinking about that jump into pow, bury the bulk of the bike, fly over the handlebars scenario. Just thinking if rebound happened sooner there would be less drag on the bulk of the bike and maybe one could ride out of that scenario. In my cases when it happened it was because of too soft of spring/compression.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Yup. If you are landing same time with your ski and skid in powder and going over the bars you either need stiffer springs or more air. If you are landing track first then slapping your ski down then good luck! Remind me what kit again?

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Mototrax and TS both 16' 120" . skinny mototrax ski was the worst. but even with ARO ski the tendency was still there. My thinking is... the longer you are compressed the more snow is being pushed by the bike hence more drag slowing the bike as the riders body continues on.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Mototrax and TS both 16' 120" . skinny mototrax ski was the worst. but even with ARO ski the tendency was still there. My thinking is... the longer you are compressed the more snow is being pushed by the bike hence more drag slowing the bike as the riders body continues on.
I see what you mean and that does make sense. I don’t think that rebound is the main factor though. I run .62fork springs, stock valving, and 5 to 7 pounds of air usually. I only weigh 165 w/o gear but as long as I land in good shape I haven’t had that problem. With that set up I was able to back my compression off a little and turn my rebound in a little for a better smooth ride. When I knew I was going to jump anything big I would crank my compression back up. That was on my 16 TS 137 kit. Everything seems a bit different on the riot and I am still getting it figured out

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah

My group doesn’t take much time to film. We all played that game in previous lives, but here’s a quick cell phone video.

So, as far as landing...I think about what gear I want to be in when I land more than when I go off the jump. I could’ve hit this jump and third tapped out and caught the same amount of air but I sure didn’t want to land in third. Much better to hit it in fourth smoothly and be able to speed out on the landing.

Premium Features