• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Hopefully the ford will be better than the Eco diesel dodge I have two friends that own Eco diesel each are nearing 100000 miles one have been great the other not so much on maintaining. The 5.0 ford is an overachiever in the 150 with 8000lb load. I don't care to about dyno numbers just been my real world experience. The 5.0 will edge the Eco when pulling 8000 lbs. Mpgs are at about 7.5 to 8 running 75mph. Christopher if towing local under 200 miles this is probably going to be a great rig and empty mpgs should be great. Long trips get old being pushed around by a trailer and lots of transmission shifting. The life of a small diesel is also going to be shortened when being used at 100 percent duty. Load your truck and trailer up and weigh them it will surprise you on what it weighs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher if towing local under 200 miles this is probably going to be a great rig and empty mpgs should be great. Long trips get old being pushed around by a trailer and lots of transmission shifting. The life of a small diesel is also going to be shortened when being used at 100 percent duty. Load your truck and trailer up and weigh them it will surprise you on what it weighs.

NO argument on the LONG TRIPS.
For those we will still use an F250 Diesel that I have available.
But the vast overwhelming majority of my pulls are 100 miles or less.
And thats only 20 trips a year?

The rest of the 345 days of driving will be unloaded highway and commuting and that is where I am HOPING this little truck shines.:face-icon-small-hap

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The truck will be great for your needs if I had access to a 250 I would own a 1/2 ton gas. Put 10 ply tires on it they help with trailer sway also.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The truck will be great for your needs if I had access to a 250 I would own a 1/2 ton gas. Put 10 ply tires on it they help with trailer sway also.
Ya, I am hoping this little truck works out well for me over the next 10 years or so that I should be driving it.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Hopefully the ford will be better than the Eco diesel dodge I have two friends that own Eco diesel each are nearing 100000 miles one have been great the other not so much on maintaining. The 5.0 ford is an overachiever in the 150 with 8000lb load. I don't care to about dyno numbers just been my real world experience. The 5.0 will edge the Eco when pulling 8000 lbs. Mpgs are at about 7.5 to 8 running 75mph. Christopher if towing local under 200 miles this is probably going to be a great rig and empty mpgs should be great. Long trips get old being pushed around by a trailer and lots of transmission shifting. The life of a small diesel is also going to be shortened when being used at 100 percent duty. Load your truck and trailer up and weigh them it will surprise you on what it weighs.

I agree with you, Ford's 5.0L Coyote V8 is an amazing engine. They are getting similar hp/torque ratings to competitors that are having to use .6 - .7 liters more displacement to achieve.

However, you have to rev it to the moon to get the peak hp/tq (5750/4500 respectively).

Comparatively, the 3.0L Powerstroke reaches max torque at 1750 RPM, less than half of it's RPM range.

Some sweet videos:

5.0l Coyote F150 Ike Gauntlet Test
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E6foaq6NUbg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3.0l Powerstroke F150 Ike Gauntlet Test (Already posted on the first page):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YDY8obTyN9A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you want to race your buddies up the canyon or to drag race then you probably shouldn't look at the baby Powerstroke.

I do like how in the video the diesel rides the wave of torque in the middle of the RPM range VS the 5.0L sits 500 RPM from it's redline the entire climb.

I've towed a 27' enclosed trailer with a 5.7l Tundra and I know that on long pulls, the engine screaming the entire way really gets old and tiresome.

Honestly, the Ecoboost engines kind of give you the best of BOTH worlds but it doesn't come with the MPG benefit the diesel has. My old 3.5l Ecoboost pulled the same trailer and it shocked me how close to a diesel it acted when towing.

Just some thoughts, I love talking this stuff!

Last edited:

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
So, Christopher, I saw else where that you are really thinking hard about the 150. Is that the plan or you going back to the 250?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, Christopher, I saw else where that you are really thinking hard about the 150. Is that the plan or you going back to the 250?

Going to order the 150.
I tow 10-20 days a year.
Most of those are 90 minutes or less

The thought of getting 25mpg and having a MUCH nicer ride for all my normal driving and highway time is just too hard to pass up

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
One thing to consider on the mileage numbers is that the F-150, still being a truck, is rather sensitive to speed. Ford has done some amazing things with aerodynamics, but in my 3.5L EB, I saw 18-19 real-world MPG while on a road trip to Oregon (with a lot of mid-to-low-elevation driving, mostly 55 MPH speed limits, and 93 Octane fuel) versus 16-17ish in Montana (where 91 octane is the max) on longer trips and 14-16 locally (with a lot of short trips up and down to the local ski hill). If you're running 80 MPH on the interstate, the fuel mileage is going to suck compared to 65, and we don't need to talk about how bad it is at 90+.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One thing to consider on the mileage numbers is that the F-150, .

This is probably the BEST real world overall mileage compendium there is.
picture.php

And this TINY SAMPLE of the new 3.0L Diesel.
picture.php

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
That V-10 chart is pretty much right on with what I saw during the 7 years that I owned my 2002. I gotta say I'm pretty excited that my diesel is getting 17-18 on my weekly commutes. 20+ would be sweet for sure.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That V-10 chart is pretty much right on with what I saw during the 7 years that I owned my 2002. I gotta say I'm pretty excited that my diesel is getting 17-18 on my weekly commutes. 20+ would be sweet for sure.

Yup
I get 11mpg all day long.
12 on the highway

Getting 22 will be a dream.
If I could actually see 25+ on steady cruise control drives down to SLC and Boise that would be FABULOUS!

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Did you get the 3.0 yet Christopher? If so any reports? Im upgrading my 150 soon and wondering what you think of yours? I test drove the 150 diesel and liked the truck. I just don't think I want the diesel for my fun truck as I have 3 big diesels now. My 150 now is an eco boost, will probably get it again.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like Ford JUST started accepting orders for the 2019 yesterday.
Have been waiting for the 2019 Configurator to go online and didn't notice it had gone live till you posted.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Looks like Ford JUST started accepting orders for the 2019 yesterday.
Have been waiting for the 2019 Configurator to go online and didn't notice it had gone live till you posted.

So did you build your spec'd truck? Whatcha building? :face-icon-small-hap

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
I ended up with another eco boost. Man the electronics on these new trucks are almost over the top. The only time I have taken the truck out was saturday nite and the lights dim and high beam themselves and I'm sure thats just the tip of the iceberg.....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I ended up with another eco boost. Man the electronics on these new trucks are almost over the top. The only time I have taken the truck out was saturday nite and the lights dim and high beam themselves and I'm sure thats just the tip of the iceberg.....
No doubt but that Ford has LOADED THEM UP with high end electronics.
As least in the high end models..

Cobalt 200

Premium Member
Aug 31, 2009
I have decided to give this a try.
In the hunt for the best price on a new custom 2019 F150 3.0L

Supposedly the 2019s become available for pre-ordering by the general public on Sept 20th.

I have read the thread and there is a ton of great information. I have always pulled a 4 place inclosed (29' Legend) with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I purchased a 1/2 ton ford in 2016 (Lariat, 5.0 L, and got 10 ply tires right off the Bat). In windy conditions it is terrible and constant white knuckle driving compared to the 3/4 ton. I have a lot of experience pulling trailers. This truck pulls the skid loader perfect (would be nice to have more power but it does a good job for the few times a year I pull it). The snowmobile trailer is a big sail. It is dangerous and my biggest concern is the gust of wind that slaps me over into oncoming traffic. I NEVER had this issue with the 3/4 ton. I never used to base pulling the trailer home from the cabin with me doe to weather or wind, but now it most certainly does. I do not have bags and that may make a difference. I would strongly caution you basing your decision purely off power. Once I get enough miles on the truck to be able to justify trading it in I definitely will and I will never get another 1/2 ton as long as I have a big enclosed trailer. Take it for what it is worth but I believe you may be very disappointed in how the truck handles the trailer.

Premium Features