• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So a couple days ago my son urged me to go and take the new 3.0L F150 Diesel out for a test drive. After years of waiting and holding off I am finally in a position where I could go place an order for a new F250 Powerstroke and was shopping HARD to find the absolute best deal. So into this mix he said I needed to go take a look at the new 3.0L

And I have to admit, the truck was a VERY NICE Drive, make no mistake about it. Ifs an F150 in every scene of the word, except for MILEAGE. It drives far more like a Car than it does like a truck.

With my son and his wife in the backseat of both the F250 Platinum and the F150 Platinum that we drove side by side last week, they said the interior noise level was VASTLY QUIETER in the 3.0L Diesel compared to the larger 6.7L

In fact, from the driver's perspective, I honestly couldn't have told you there was a diesel under the hood at all. Its THAT QUIET to drive with the windows up and the AC on.

All of the mileage reports I have seen thus far for NON Towing have been freaking amazing. Granted, I drive a 2005 V10 F250 that gets 12mpg under the BEST conditions and 6MPG in 4wd pulling my 28ft sled trailer fully loaded in snow.

This little truck is getting 30mpg on the highway, and some are claiming 32! THIRTY TWO FREAKING MILES PER GALLON!

Ford is claiming 440ft/lbs of torque, and the real world Dyno runs I have seen are showing just over 400 to the rear wheels. For towing, that seems kinda LOW to me. BUT, my V10 was only rated at 424 factory and she has been pulling 5 sled enclosed trailers for 10 years now.. So maybe its enough?

I should also note...
The new 10speed tranny is as SMOOTH as they come.
Jeeez thats a lot of gears to chose from and it feels more like a Sled's CVT than a conventional tranny!

I have already found a tuning kit that caught my interest for the new 3.0L though.
https://5startuning.com/got-a-2018-f150-3-0l-power-stroke-diesel/

If this graph is legit, then this F150 might make for a nice little daily driver that would pull a loaded trailer reasonably well 12 weekends out of the year.

final-perf-v1.jpg

While I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a new F250, I have to admit, the thought of getting 3X the milage during the rest of the week is MIGHTY DAMN ATTRACTIVE considering I have been getting 10-11mpg for the last 13 years on my F250, and only expect to get 17-19mpg on a brand new one.

If I could actually get 28-32mpg on the highway, man, thats hard to pass up knowing the price of fuel is going UP and now down.

===
Here is a particularly good review I read before the test drive last week

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21...w-how-does-850-miles-of-range-on-a-tank-sound

It was just past Bakersfield that I started to doubt the Ford F-150 Diesel and I would make it home. We’d gone almost 700 miles by this point without stopping for fuel, this gray wundertruck and I, but directly ahead lay two mortal enemies of efficiency: the stubborn ring of mountains around Los Angeles, and the city’s rush hour traffic sloshing over their dusty peaks like an overfilled cup.

A little more than an eighth of a tank left, according to the <s>gas</s> fuel gauge, which the computer calculated should be enough to carry us another 150 miles based on the day's fuel burn rates. We were about a third of that distance from the finish line—just 50 miles from proving that you really can make the 730-mile round trip between Los Angeles and San Francisco on a single tank of fuel in the 2018 Ford F-150 Diesel. Then we started to climb.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig1" data-pos="0">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>With each blip of the throttle, the estimated range left in the tank seemed to drop, the delta between the miles to empty and the miles to my apartment shrinking at an ever-increasing clip. Two miles driven cost me six; the next 10 subtracted 25.

But this oil-burner wouldn’t be denied. Less than two hours later, I was ensconced on my couch, marveling at how Ford managed to squeeze around 850 miles—yes, 850—from a single 26-gallon tank in the F-150 Diesel. For those playing along at home, that's a real-world average of almost 33 miles per gallon. Chuck your emissions testing baggage in the bed, because this excellent rig showcases the true promise of a modern diesel engine in a segment that's gone far too long without them: the half-ton pickup truck.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig2" data-pos="1">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>F-150 Diesel Proves an Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks

As the best selling vehicles in the country since the Reagan Administration, the Ford F-Series pickup trucks need no introduction. On top of that, the current generation of the F-150 has been around since 2014, so chances are you've had time to form an opinion. But if not, you should know the F-150 received a mid-cycle refresh this year to keep up with the Joneses that introduced some Super Duty-influenced exterior styling, standard auto start/stop, and a new Bang & Olufsen sound system on higher trims.

message-editor%2F1528438761026-frontheadon.jpg

message-editor%2F1528438773307-sideprofile.jpg

message-editor%2F1528438780457-rearheadon.jpg

message-editor%2F1528438858605-dieselfiller.jpg

To these eyes, the new front-end design is a little busy, but the "Lead Foot" paint job on my tester was an unequivocal winner. The rest of it is, well, a full-size truck—which is to say, this Ford looks a lot like every other full-size truck on the market. (This segment isn't exactly known for its tolerance of revolutionary changes.) The only real disappointment lies inside; while the interior is incredibly spacious and comfortable—I'll go to my death defending large trucks as excellent road trip vehicles—it also looks a little cheap, and it's definitely lagging the new 2019 Ram 1500 in terms of luxury. And come on, Ford: give me a column shifter.

But obviously, we're here to talk about the most significant addition to the lineup: a 3.0-liter PowerStroke turbodiesel V-6 engine. It's the first time FoMoCo has ever stuck a diesel engine in its flagship truck. It's not cheap; non-fleet customers can only get it as a $4,000 option on the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trims, meaning the cheapest F-150 diesel Joe Sixpack can buy is around $48,000. My rear-wheel-drive Lariat SuperCrew model was optioned up to $54,620. You'll be doing an awful lot of driving if you want to balance out that surcharge with lower fuel costs.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig3" data-pos="2">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>Details on the Diesel

The news that Ford was finally sticking a PowerStroke turbodiesel engine in the F-150 was like going back to your high school reunion and finding out those two "will they/won't they" lovebirds finally settled down together. It just makes sense, really—the diesel's fuel economy and towing power make it pretty much a no-brainer in any pickup. (Diesel trucks actually outsold hybrid and electric vehicles in America last year.) Why the long wait? Ford has always figured that anyone who wants the extra oomph of a diesel engine also needs the ability to tow 20,000 pounds, and that's why its heavy duty trucks exist. They've also been wary of our complicated relationship with compressed ignition in this country—the fumes of Dieselgate still float among us—but thankfully, they've realized the time has come to spread the good gospel.

Despite the PowerStroke name, this 3.0-liter turbo V-6 isn't just a shrunken version of the company's larger diesels found in the beefy Super Duty models. It's actually the product of a mid-Aughts union between Ford and PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) over in Europe, where the engine's ancestor once powered cars like the Jaguar S-Type. 15 years later, a similar version of the current Ford engine sits under the hood of the 2018 Land Rover Discovery Diesel.

message-editor%2F1528439111631-rear3-4a.jpg

message-editor%2F1528439117433-interiordashfull.jpg

message-editor%2F1528439123282-grillewide.jpg

message-editor%2F1528439128499-interiorgaugecluster.jpg

Make no mistake though, the PowerStroke is a Ford product through and through. With upgraded goodies like a forged crankshaft and a variable-geometry turbocharger, the Ford F-150 Diesel makes 250 horsepower at 3,250 rpm and an eminently usable 444 pound-feet of torque that comes on strong at 1,750 rpm. For reference, that's 10 more horsepower and 24 more "torques" than in the new Ram 1500 Diesel. The EPA mileage ratings are also very impressive for a truck this size, no doubt helped by the 10-speed automatic transmission: 22 miles per gallon in the city, 30 on the highway, and 25 combined. The 10-speed automatic certainly helps with that as well.

You might be surprised to learn that at 11,400 pounds, this new diesel model isn't the strongest in the F-150 lineup. That would be the V-6 EcoBoost, which can haul a class-leading (and frankly, staggering) 13,300 pounds. But the diesel offers a smoother pull thanks to its linear power curve, while the EcoBoost can feel jerky when fully laden. For buyers who just need a pickup to haul their boat to the lake or their ATV to the off-road park, the diesel will offer a far more civilized experience.

And then there's the range. This isn't supposed to be a small heavy duty truck. No, the F-150 Diesel is about fuel economy, and I had to know if Ford was blowing smoke with its claim of 30 miles per gallon on the highway.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig4" data-pos="3">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>The Ford F-150 Diesel Range Test

With the plan set, snacks packed, and the GoPro stuck fast in place, I topped off the 26-gallon tank at a gas station around the corner from my apartment in Hollywood. The truck's computer was already against me, calculating about 540 miles of range based on the heavily-mixed driving conditions it experienced in the days prior. I wasn't too concerned, because I had math on my side: 26 gallons at 30 miles a gallon should be good for 780 miles. And if not, well, there's always a lesson in failure.

It was around 5:30 in the morning, and if I was to have any hope of triumphantly crossing the finish line in 740 miles, I needed to get this Ford out of Dodge before people with real jobs started filling up the freeways—at a sensible, economical speed, of course. Driving the exact speed limit in California can veer between torturous and downright dangerous depending on the pace of traffic around you. But between its hefty size, comforting weightiness, and an engine all too happy to sit at 1,400 rpm at 65 miles per hour, I quickly settled into a groove and let the rat race pass me by.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig5" data-pos="4">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>Even factoring in its low engine speed at a cruise, the mini-PowerStroke is incredibly quiet. You'll still hear a bit of that garbage-truck-rumble under load, but in normal driving you'd be hard-pressed to tell it's a diesel without looking at the low-redline tachometer. Several hours later, a glance at the map revealed we had made it to the halfway point to San Francisco, a desolate stretch of I-5 in the supremely flat Central Valley. Amazingly, we had burned almost exactly a quarter tank of fuel. More importantly, after traveling more than 200 miles and vaporizing 6.5 gallons of diesel, the remaining estimated range in the tank had actually gone up to 546.

The rest of the first leg went smoothly, with the average fuel economy figure slowly increasing as the F-150 Diesel gobbled up the highway miles. A spell of traffic heading into San Francisco dinged the numbers a little bit, but as we rolled over the Bay Bridge, avoided crushing a start-up founder on an electric scooter, and somehow found a perfect parking spot on the Embarcadero, I was legitimately shocked to see the truck still had over half a tank left.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig6" data-pos="5">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>Having waved hello and goodbye to the Golden City in less than 20 minutes, I climbed behind the wheel just before 1 p.m. for the 370-mile journey home. The truck had acclimated to the mission and showed just enough range to make it back, but now it was my turn to play pessimist. For one, the fatigue was setting in—I-5 through the middle of California is as flat and straight as any Midwest highway—but more importantly, we were on pace to run smack into the city's famed rush hour (really, all-hour) traffic at the most critical stage of the journey.

But the southbound leg proved itself just as efficient, at least for the first four hours. The distance to Los Angeles fell twice as fast as the miles to empty thanks to the wonders of cruise control. I was feeling better—so much so that I couldn't resist punching the throttle to pass more than a few slow-moving semi-trucks, appreciating the instantaneous surge of torque and the flat power curve. The halfway point saw almost exactly a quarter tank left.

Then we passed Bakersfield, and things started going to **** in a hurry.
A lapse, a screw-up, the inevitable result of driving for nearly 10 straight hours—whatever you want to call it, I completely forgot about how crossing those mountain ranges would destroy my mileage. Now it was the inverse of before, with the distance to empty shrinking twice as fast as the distance to the finish line. I cursed myself for being so loose with the throttle out of sheer boredom, as rush hour commuters slowly built up around me, unaware of my anxiety.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig7" data-pos="6">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>Just when things were looking darkest, the Ford and I finally began to descend into the north edge of the San Fernando Valley, meaning Los Angeles was just 30 miles away. Those 30 miles held a few stressful stretches of stop-and-go traffic and one more mountain range, but just after 7:30 p.m., the truck and I triumphantly rolled back into Hollywood like the stars we were. The Ford F-150 Diesel hadn't just made it round trip from L.A. to San Fran on a single tankit had done so with astonishing ease.

F-150 Diesel Range Test: The Results

Here are the final numbers, since gauge-cluster readouts aren't always accurate. The F-150 Diesel covered 737.7 miles and used 22.473 gallons of fuel, good for a real world figure of 32.83 mpg, which alone would be mighty impressive. Here's the best part, though: with 3.527 gallons left in the tank, it was actually capable of going another 115 miles—which pushes the total range up to 850 miles.

It's worth noting that while the majority of my time was spent on a dead-flat highway—great conditions for fuel economy—the hilly and highly-trafficked areas surrounding both Los Angeles and San Francisco balanced that out somewhat. Granted, you won't achieve this just puttering around town, nor will you get anywhere close to that with a full bed or a trailer in tow. But this result is still relevant, because more and more people are using pickup trucks as daily drivers without either of those encumbrances.

<figure class="figure " tabindex="1" id="fig8" data-pos="7">
Kyle Cheromcha

</figure>So the 2018 Ford F-150 Diesel really is the most fuel-efficient full-size truck you can buy today—and then some. But it's also surprisingly comfortable and refined, showing that a diesel engine can have a proper home in a half-ton. And with both GM and Ram bringing their own oil-burners to market, it looks like a bold new front is opening up in the ongoing Great Pickup Arms Race. Whose side are you on?

The 2018 Ford F-150 Diesel, By the Numbers

Base Price (as tested, including destination): $47,375 ($54,620)
Powertrain: 3.0-liter PowerStroke turbodiesel V-6; 250 horsepower, 444 pound-feet of torque; 10-speed automatic transmission, rear-wheel drive with on-demand four-wheel drive optional
Fuel Economy: 22 mpg city, 30 highway, 25 combined
Towing Capacity: 11,400 pounds
Payload Capacity: 2,020 pounds
Number of people I saw texting on the highway: More than you want to know

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now, here are the TOWING RESULTS!
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/re-test-2018-ford-f150-diesel-worlds-toughest-towing-test-video/

<header class="td-post-title"> Re-Test of the 2018 Ford F150 Diesel on the World’s Toughest Towing Test (Video)

By
Andre Smirnov -

<time class="entry-date updated td-module-date" datetime="2018-06-10T05:00:13+00:00">June 10, 2018</time>
</header> <figure id="attachment_49888" style="width: 800px" class="wp-caption aligncenter">
2018-ford-f150-diesel-ike-gauntlet-retest-1024x576.jpg
<figcaption class="wp-caption-text">2018 Ford F150 Diesel</figcaption></figure> It’s time to run the 2018 Ford F150 Diesel on the Ike Gauntlet™ – world’s toughest towing test – for the second time. Why re-test it? This pre-production truck had a problem on the downhill portion of the test the first time. It made it down the first several miles of the 7% downgrade just fine before it went into a “limp home” mode. It shifted into 9th gear, disabled towing mode, and did not allow us to manually shift. Then, at the bottom of the grade, it would only move at 6-7 MPH.

Ford quickly looked at the truck, and determined that it was a pre-production calibration problem. This is what they told us, and they would not go into any more details.

Now, Ford says the truck has the latest production-level calibration that is and will be on all production F-150 Diesel trucks on sale now.

Is the problem fixed? How will the truck perform with the same CM Trailers 8,700 lbs trailer behind it?

The Ike Gauntlet™ is an 8-mile stretch of I-70 in Colorado. It’s a 7% grade from Dillon, CO and all the way up to the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial tunnels at 11,158 feet above sea level.

This test is also the first truck competing for the 2019 Gold Hitch – best towing half-ton truck – award. This will be a very competitive half-ton truck segment this year as the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 and the all-new 2019 Chevy/GMC trucks are competing here as well.

Get all the details in the video below.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YDY8obTyN9A" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have a bunch of friends running the F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost with that newer 10 speed with the full towing packages and full payload packages. Most are averaging mid 20's for MPG when not towing and when towing not one person complains about the power. I expect the new diesel to be just as impressive towing.

The only "complaint" any one of them has ever said was that with the lighter half ton they now have to run the distribution hitch on their camper because they want the extra sway control. (first world problem). They didn't run it with their F-250 prior.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I think that would be a very good truck for what you do with it. Especially since majority of your trips are short too. We drive 12-20 hours each way to go ride and the 250 makes a lot more sense.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a bunch of friends running the F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost with that newer 10 speed with the full towing packages and full payload packages. Most are averaging mid 20's for MPG when not towing and when towing not one person complains about the power. I expect the new diesel to be just as impressive towing.

The only "complaint" any one of them has ever said was that with the lighter half ton they now have to run the distribution hitch on their camper because they want the extra sway control. (first world problem). They didn't run it with their F-250 prior.

The video towing review made the same comment.
The weight distribution hitch was a MUST DO on the 150, not so much on the 250, though I suspect it makes that drive even better as well.

I have never tried one of those on the Sled Trailers..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think that would be a very good truck for what you do with it. Especially since majority of your trips are short too. We drive 12-20 hours each way to go ride and the 250 makes a lot more sense.

ya, thats a seriously LONG HAUL especially if you get caught in bad weather and the wind kicks up. The extra mass of the 250 would really pay off big time then.

I know going up to Canada on the year excursion, the bigger truck is MIGHTY NICE to have.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The video towing review made the same comment.
The weight distribution hitch was a MUST DO on the 150, not so much on the 250, though I suspect it makes that drive even better as well.

I have never tried one of those on the Sled Trailers..

If I remember right sled trailers require a unique set-up because of the way the trailer tongue is designed as most have just a single beam going back so that you clear the front ramp door being lowered. Just an FYI.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If I remember right sled trailers require a unique set-up because of the way the trailer tongue is designed as most have just a single beam going back so that you clear the front ramp door being lowered. Just an FYI.

Honestly couldn’t tell ya.
Might be that we just don’t see those more complicated hitches on sled trailers because most of the time they are very short distance hauls of 1-2 hours, rather than multi-day toes like a camper

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
HD vs 1/2 ton

Christopher, I can tell your a thoughtful guy with all the research you’ve been posting regarding the 1/2 ton vs hd decision. I’ve had to make that decision recently myself.

I live in the Midwest so a snowmobile trip out west for me is 3000 miles round trip. We do that twice each year with some other family trips around Wisconsin. So I tow about 8,000 miles snowmobiling/year. I also tow my 8,500 lb boat about 1,200 miles each year.

I had a 2011 3.5 ecoboost that I drove for 60,000 miles and now have a 2017 f-350 SRW 6.7 PSD. Both trucks were CC short box. In between these two trucks I had a 2016 Chevy 2500 hd ( I got rid of it way too many problems).

The 3.5 ecoboost is an absolute monster, and now that it has the 10 speed I am sure it’s even better. I know the number don’t say it, but it felt like it had the same power as the stock LML on my 2500 hd. I did plenty of 400 mike tows with an 8,000 lb enclosed trailer. It was absolutely no problem. Now the 6.7 is on a whole different level when it comes to towing. I think most of that is due to stability of the chassis/truck itself. The power is obviously noticeable but not as much as you may think (for the 8,000 lb load). Now the f350 really shines in the 18 hour long tow session. You don’t know the trailer is back there so there is no driver fatigue.

I believe the 3.5 ecoboost is more capable than the f-150 chassis, but there are a few things you can do to drastically improve that. The most important is to get some D range or 10 ply tires the minute you drive it off the lot. The other is to get air bags for the rear end. Third is the weight distribution hitch.

The ride difference between 150 and 350 is huge. The 150 turns easier, sharper, and rides like a luxury sedan. I have a Honda Accord I use for daily commuting so it’s not much of an issue for me. Mileage is equivalent between the 6.7 and 3.5 ecoboost with diesel being more expensive.

I have no input on the 3.0 PSD except to expect issues for the first couple years of production.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
FYI on the weight distribution hitches you shouldn't use them on aluminum framed trailers. The way they work basically tries to slam the rear of the trailer down and a bunch of the aluminum frames just aren't built heavy enough to take the added stress.

I've heard this a couple times from dealers and have seen some mighty nice trailers in getting the frames welded back together.

Just my experience.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It looks like the versions being tested to get 30+mpg are 2wd. Early articles I was reading around press release time had Ford stating you'll drop 5-6mpg going from 2wd to 4wd. Tires, gearing, stance, and something about a fairly parasitic transfer case. So real world I'd expect mid-20s for 4wd equipped truck running empty in good conditions.

Since you plan to keep your new truck for a long time you might want to consider the longevity aspect between the 3.0 and 6.7. The 3.0 is relatively unproven for the long haul, and it likely will be used closer to its capacity pulling that 8000# trailer in the mtns. Just looking at any two pieces of equipment if one is repeatedly used at 80-90% and one is used at 40-50%, which one is going to last longer? Not saying the 3.0 won't make 300k miles, but it's just an unknown to consider. If you go that way it might be good to put some of that daily driver fuel savings away in the bank for a rainy day if it's needed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FYI on the weight distribution hitches you shouldn't use them on aluminum framed trailers. The way they work basically tries to slam the rear of the trailer down and a bunch of the aluminum frames just aren't built heavy enough to take the added stress.

I've heard this a couple times from dealers and have seen some mighty nice trailers in getting the frames welded back together.

Just my experience.

Let me put in a call to our friends at MIRAGE TRAILERS and get an answer directly from the "Horse's Mouth".

This is just something I honestly know NOTHING at all about..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It looks like the versions being tested to get 30+mpg are 2wd. Early articles I was reading around press release time had Ford stating you'll drop 5-6mpg going from 2wd to 4wd. Tires, gearing, stance, and something about a fairly parasitic transfer case. So real world I'd expect mid-20s for 4wd equipped truck running empty in good conditions.

Since you plan to keep your new truck for a long time you might want to consider the longevity aspect between the 3.0 and 6.7. The 3.0 is relatively unproven for the long haul, and it likely will be used closer to its capacity pulling that 8000# trailer in the mtns. Just looking at any two pieces of equipment if one is repeatedly used at 80-90% and one is used at 40-50%, which one is going to last longer? Not saying the 3.0 won't make 300k miles, but it's just an unknown to consider. If you go that way it might be good to put some of that daily driver fuel savings away in the bank for a rainy day if it's needed.

GOOD POINTS.
My understanding is that the 3.0L is not in fact a "New" unproven engine though...

===

After announcing the diesel F-150 last year at the 2017 Detroit auto show, Ford certainly took its time filling in the blanks. We speculated that the engine would be a version of the Lion turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6 jointly developed with PSA Peugeot Citroën years ago and currently used in some Land Rover products, and, as it turns out, we weren’t far off the mark. But the EcoBoost-branded version headed for the F-150 has undergone some pretty significant upgrades thanks to the same Ford engineering team that brought us the 6.7-liter Power Stroke.
To ensure that the engine has the grit to stand up to the abuse of domestic-pickup-truck owners, Ford began the overhaul at the bottom by fitting the 3.0-liter V-6 with a forged crankshaft, like the one found in the 2.7-liter EcoBoost gasoline engine, complemented by purpose-designed main and rod bearings.

A variable-geometry turbocharger takes care of boost, and common-rail direct injection running up to 29,000 psi handles the fuel supply, while dual fuel filters keep the supply clean.

Aluminum cylinder heads sit atop a compacted-graphite iron block, and a two-stage oil pump keeps the 6.5-quart oil supply circulating with an eye toward efficiency by reducing parasitic loss.

Ford is calling for 150,000-mile service intervals on the timing belt, and the 5.4-gallon exhaust aftertreatment fluid supply should be good for 10,000 miles per fill.

Although official numbers haven’t been released, Ford said the turbo-diesel 3.0-liter weighs approximately 620 pounds, which is about 150 pounds heavier than the aluminum-block, twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost. It will be produced in Ford’s Dagenham Engine Plant in the U.K. alongside the Land Rover engine.

Fully fortified, the engine’s output is pegged at 250 horsepower and a maximum of 440 lb-ft of torque arriving at a usable 1750 rpm. Ford’s 10-speed automatic transmission, coupled with a diesel-specific differential ratio, is calibrated to make the most of the diesel torque curve. If those numbers look vaguely familiar, it’s likely because they are nearly identical to the 254 horses and 443 lb-ft posted by the Range Rover Td6 diesel, which shares the same basic engine minus the F-150–specific upgrades.

//www.snowest.com/forum/amv-prod-cad-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/images/media/51/2018-ford-f-150-diesel-inline2-photo-699720-s-original.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top

Rated to tow up to 11,400 pounds and to haul a maximum payload of 2020 pounds, the diesel F-150 lands right in the meat of the half-ton segment. The target Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is rated for a maximum of 9290 pounds of towing and a 1640-pound load. While Ford leapfrogs both metrics, these ratings are in an almost constant state of flux, and you can bet Ram is already working to up the ante. As for sibling rivalry, the diesel F-150’s ratings are equal to or better than those of most of the gasoline-fueled F-series lineup.

Only a handful of 3.5-liter EcoBoost-equipped F-150s with specific axle ratios and tow packages are capable of tugging more, up to 12,200 pounds. Ford said it has already subjected the 3.0 Power Stroke to the tortuous Davis Dam test, where it ascended a 13-mile route with a 6 percent grade in temperatures cresting 100 degrees without any loss of power, so it’s seemingly up to most tasks that you’d tackle with a half-ton truck.

Efficient Muscle

The other side of the diesel story is fuel economy, and Ford is hoping to hit the 30-mpg mark in the EPA highway cycle. Auto stop/start will be standard, and the 10-speed automatic transmission will do its part to keep the engine in the most efficient part of the powerband. A mechanical engine-driven fan with viscous coupling is employed to move lots of air when needed, and the viscous coupling dials down the fan load under more moderate conditions for improved efficiency.

As for the rate of payback on the diesel investment, it’s a moving target. The first pricing estimates we have from Ford peg the cost of a diesel as a $4000 upcharge over the 2.7-liter EcoBoost, a $2400 premium over the cost of a 3.5-liter EcoBoost, and $3000 more than a 5.0-liter V-8. (All figures are subject to change as official pricing is concluded.) Generally speaking, people who tow on a regular basis will see a quicker return on the investment, as diesels engines’ fuel economy tends to diminish less when towing. The twin-turbocharged elephant in the room is Ford’s own 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, which trumps the new diesel in raw output, coming in at 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. When equipped to beat the diesel’s tow rating, though, it’s likely to prove much thirstier while doing so.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Let me put in a call to our friends at MIRAGE TRAILERS and get an answer directly from the "Horse's Mouth".

This is just something I honestly know NOTHING at all about..

This was from two different dealers 200 miles apart. One an ATC dealer with multiple other trailer brands and the other was a Fealtherlite dealer with supporting cast. I was in the middle of quoting a 28' by 8.5' car hauler to be made into a mobile shop. Heavy front end and we were concerned with our 3/4 and tonners squatting a little bit as they rolled through the DOT scales and drawing attention.

Ended up with a 28 ATC with steel frame rails and aluminum structure above. 16k trailer was a heavy girl but you could pull it anywhere straight as an arrow.

~~ Side track conversation. I like talking trailers. ~~

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This was from two different dealers 200 miles apart. One an ATC dealer with multiple other trailer brands and the other was a Fealtherlite dealer with supporting cast. I was in the middle of quoting a 28' by 8.5' car hauler to be made into a mobile shop. Heavy front end and we were concerned with our 3/4 and tonners squatting a little bit as they rolled through the DOT scales and drawing attention.

Ended up with a 28 ATC with steel frame rails and aluminum structure above. 16k trailer was a heavy girl but you could pull it anywhere straight as an arrow.

~~ Side track conversation. I like talking trailers. ~~
Doesn't everyone!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Just my experience.

OKAY
Mirage just got back to me.
Their OFFICIAL reply was.

They recommend and stock the FastWay e2 Weight Distribution Hitch for their Snowmobile trailers for those who want MORE control when towing, but they feel it is generally unnecessary because of how light the total load tends to be on those trailers.

FW_e2_Round-Bar_Web_72c6605c-c983-4374-bf3d-c14a6c06f087.png

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So then you ad your leveling kit and ditch the front valence to ruin aerodynamics....go a couple sizes up on the tires, and to much heavier e-range....ad a bunch of 4wd usage....ad some idling/warm up time in winter, and A/C usage in summer....ad weight for tie straps, bed liner, random tools, car seats, passengers....and I wonder what the real-real world mileage is :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features