• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flyweight Expert

T
Aug 8, 2011
I have. And I prefer skinny ones!!! Which is why I want to get this thread back on track. Seriously no one has any more innovative ideas on weight loss? How about some ideas on where weight placement within the sled could be moved around to help?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Weight loss =

Delete headlights
Lightweight hood
Lots of carbon fiber stuff
Tom's skid or something comparable
Belt drive
Lighter muffler
Smallest seat
Titanium front end components

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Put tire valves on handlebars, bumpers, shafts, running boards and fill with helium. Carbon fibre skis and saddles.

Big chicks are the best. They just want someone to love them and they are willing to do anything. Easy peasy while everyone is chatting up skinny Barbies, I’ve nailed two fatties in the parking lot already! Hahaha

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Get rid of the long running boards , no need for acrobatics when the machine and rider are one :)

T
Aug 8, 2011
The money on that thing is brutal...but the bigger hang on it I have is that I absolutely love how my Enzo setup works and rides in the expert. I’m just nervous the sl3 will change the feel.
Not tip up or switch edges like the current setup, be too planted or too much of a wheelie monster. Looks like minimal adjustment on it too

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Maybe we need to think differently about weight loss. Start by thinking about building a sled form scratch. What would the minimum parts be that you would use from a OEM sled, in this case the G4? The motor is hard to chuck away but can any part of it be lightened? Maybe titanium bolts? Now the bulkhead, is there anything that can be done to lighten it? The tunnel, the suspension etc. Look at each component and compare it to the competition and aftermarket to see if it is the lightest reliable design. Some parts may be overbuilt just because it is easy and cheap. A good example is plastics or the headlight. They should weigh no more than what the competition use as they are not structural. Does the Doo really need the heavy belt guard or would good clutching keep the clutches cool? Seat, double walled gas tanks, large oil tanks, windshields, e-start, can all be looked at. Maybe light weight steering post is an option too. I know a heavy sled can ride plush but if the sled was super light would a simplified suspension actually work okay? I remember in days of front leaf springs it was not really noticeable that you had poor suspension once you got into 3 feet of fresh powder. I rode a super light fat tire bicycle that really did not feel like it needed suspension, if it was heavier it would have. I am not suggesting that everyone should start ripping their $15000 sled apart but rather it might be fun to have a second project sled that is built this way.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Ive done the lightweight mod sleds in the past, wont go down that road again.
The sled was fun but not worth the money.

I dont even put cans on sleds anymore, to hard to find a can that has no negative effects on the performance, and consistency of the sleds engine.

I have a enzo tuned suspension and custom clutching and just ride what I have, no point in putting money into a sled when I get a new one every two years. The new turbo will get the freshened up enzo tuned shocks out of the old sled as well as the clutching.

E
Maybe we need to think differently about weight loss. Start by thinking about building a sled form scratch. What would the minimum parts be that you would use from a OEM sled, in this case the G4? The motor is hard to chuck away but can...............

I am actually designing/building a mountain sled from the ground up with the purpose of lightweight in mind.
Short answer is composites such as carbon fiber are lighter but you have to be creative on how to use it.
one of the best ways to lighten a sled without getting in trouble is to understand a few key rules
1) it is rare to beat the manufacture engineers. they have more resources at their disposal
2) you aren't playing the same game as the manufacture

what this really means is you aren't going to design a better muffler than say polaris but you don't have to worry about meeting as many standards. one of the biggest things manufacture engineers have to consider is how to cheaply build a part. so when designing a sled with that in mind can really hinder a lot of design and function. example Cat has those stupid running boards that don't shed snow probably because it is cheaper to press them out with the tunnel.

you can also look say at the pro riders. most have very lightweight sleds but they are limited most of the time by sponsors.
Burandt has some very light sleds and uses a lot of carbon fiber parts. but he also uses the cast aluminum bulkhead. cast/forged aluminum is light from a manufacture stand point but F1 will millions at their disposal don't use that material.

Also i have found that most don't know the actual weight of individual parts. for example a 2017 Arctic cat 800 with y-pipe and primary clutch weighs 98lbs. that is almost a 1/4 of the sled and there isn't many products to majorly lose weight in that area. why because it would be an expensive mess to make an engine from the ground up. i looked into it and for an engine 800 2-stroke, made by a company that does MaClaren F1 parts, it would be close to $100K and you are only losing 17-23lbs. it would rev faster than a 600 though.

this is just things i have found while researching the past few years.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
We had a sub 300 lb sled back in 1970, a Arctic Cat Lynx. Actually an amazing little sled for the time, very minimalistic , not much power but could go about anywhere. Another fun little sled (sub 300 lb) was the Ski-Doo Freestyle we had to the kids. The Freestyle was and blast to ride in the back country, especially in the spring when the snow was more set up.

Would be fun to build some very basic super light mountain sleds from the ground up instead of redesigning the OEM sleds.

Premium Features