• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flipping Aro chain slider please enlighten me

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
What’s the deal with that? I have my chain running up and over it, which does seem a bit odd, but I see chatter about flipping it and running below? What’s the deal with that, pros, cons, and why didn’t they just do that to begin with? Seems the device is there to keep chain off track paddles, but it doesn’t look as though it would anyway so?

A
Nov 14, 2017
I just got rid of the slider altogether. It meant I needed a bigger countershaft sprocket. So big it barely fits under the chain guard on my 450FC.

We did the math on the sprockets and if I remember correctly I replaced one on the kit and flipped the two in the chaincase? Something like that.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I have a bigger sprocket on bike, the one that barely fits, 14t and the gearing is now perfect so that’s staying, but I’d love to take a link or two out of the chain anyway and I’m considering some heavy mods to do that. My track is a good 5” from my frame and I think that’s a lot of performance left to waste.

A
Nov 14, 2017
The only reason I did it was to try and reduce some of the rolling resistance. The bike was noticeably easier to move around out of the back of the trailer etc. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance or anything like that.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Just saw the post and posted about moving the kit more up under the bike. For sure an improvement. On a KTM to ditch the sliders you put a 15 tooth on the KTM and 18 on the kit, and yes the chain can slap and make noise on the bottom of the swing arm bushing but not rob power, later we put a plastic flat plate rub block so the chain doesn't slap and make noise. No track rubbing issues. To get around 14" of track run out we put 17 top 18 bottom in the chain case, done that on KTM 500/450/300 Beta 450 everyone liked the gearing.

Last edited:
Premium Features