• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flatlanders, what is your favorite place to ride out west?

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
What is your favorite place to ride out west? Have been making 1-2 trips per year out west for the last 4-5 years. Been to Cooke City, Big Horns, Snowies, and black hills.

Any tips on locations, lodging, and places to ride greatly appreciated.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Where ever the snow is, I go out every other weekend from mid December through March. Anywhere from North West Montana down to Colorado. Normally 700-1000 miles one way. I have been to Seeley Lake, Cooke and West Yellowstone in MT, big horns and togwotee in WY, rabbit ears-buff pass, Grand lake, vail and grand Mesa in CO. Looking to add wolf creek co, alpine wy and hopefully Utah to the list this year

Last edited:

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
We started about 15 years ago in the black hills then about 5 years ago started going to the horns. Then last year we went to the snowies.

All three are good when the snows good. we like the horns and snowies better than the hills. We will be going to the snowies as much as we can.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
Just depends on conditions. Togwotee is a longer drive for us but definitely worth it. It has tons of areas and can stay on the pass or trailer up about a half her from Dubois. Runner up to that is probably rabbit ears/buff pass. You can stay in either Waldon or steamboat springs but need to trailer about a half hr to the passes. steamboat has a lot of nightlife if you can get passed the greenie yuppies since it's a ski town. Been to Cooke, horns, snowies, west Yellowstone too and they are all good. Anything is better then the black hills tho haha

Last edited:

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014
Always use to go to west Yellowstone. Was great when the snow is good. Huge area. The last few years of going the snow was marginal at best. Went to alpine wy last year end of January. Also a huge area, with less time getting to the play areas. Stayed at rockin m ranch. Awesome people. Definitely making in back there again. It's a trek from ND tho

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Have been riding in the hills for 25 years since I was ten. Love it out there because it is only 5hr. Drive. Great grooming and I know the whole area like the back of my hand. Have Ridden in the horns, not to impressed with the lodging, or amenities. Snow was great though. Been to the snowies will be trying to get back many more times. Great snow grooming of trails to get to play areas was average at best. Loved being able to stay in Laramie. If I was going to ride with the boy's Laramie for sure. With the wife and kids the hills hands down.

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
Yea we typically go to the horns as they are close and generally better snow than what we have been seeing back in ND the last few winters. We ended up canceling at the horns last year as the snow was looking slim and actually got a good last minute set up in the snowies. Definitely would like to head back down there again to further explore. Tossed around the idea of heading out to Togwotee or try west Yellowstone/IP.

Thanks for all of the replies, greatly appreciated.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We chase the snow. We have been to West Yellowstone, Island Park, Bighorns, Cooke City, Togwotee, Alpine, Snowy Range, Sierra Madres, Hahn's Peak/California Park/Rabbit Ears. They are all great if they have lots of snow and very little traffic.:face-icon-small-sho
All things being equal I would say try Island Park being that you haven't been there. Easy access from ND. It's huge and Montana is close by. Lots of lodging options.
On our wish list is Pinedale, WY, Priest Lake, ID, Grand Mesa, CO, Revelstoke, BC.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Ive ridden about all of the major desitinations between Olney, MT and South Fork, CO. West yellowstone and Togwotee are probably the most sledder friendly areas. Easy to get to and all of the things you need. It all depends on what kind of riding you do and what you want to experience. Those places have riding for all skill levels as well.

Premium Features