• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time to Black Hills advice

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
My family is headed out to Rapid City for a wedding next weekend and I want to bring the sleds and take the wife for a ride. I've never been to the Hills before for sledding. Where is the best spot to drop for a day ride? Also what trails are the the most scenic? We will only ride for 1 day, so I want to make the most of it.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Unfortunately you might be a little late to the party. Hopefully the warm temps this weekend are not as bad as the forecast says but it does not look good. If the trails hold up then I would recommend unloading at Spearfish Canyon Lodge and heading towards Cement Ridge as was mentioned above.

Good luck!

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Trails

Moonhshiner is right. Groomed trails out there for 4 years and cannot remember grooming past the 15th. Normally 3 weeks from President's Day weekend and the Hills is close to done. I would be suprised if they groomed this weekend. Warmer than 35 or so and the groomer becomes worthless. However the trails are open until the end of the month and if it cools off and they get some snow soon they may run the groomer over the trails a couple more times. The other thing is that there are parts of the trail system like the east side and around Deadwood that go away really fast when it is 50 and sunny. The trail from the Spearfish Canyon Lodge goes away very fast. I would say that if you went to Trailshead next weekend and stayed up top you could have a day of riding without too much trouble.

Last edited:

BOOT-N-AS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
SO. DAK.
Start from Trailshead best snow around there this time of year and you have choice which direction you want to go have fun

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Thanks for the advice. I was worried about the warm up. I'm bringing the sleds either way cause we are also going out to the horns for a day.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Moonhshiner is right. Groomed trails out there for 4 years and cannot remember grooming past the 15th. Normally 3 weeks from President's Day weekend and the Hills is close to done. I would be suprised if they groomed this weekend. Warmer than 35 or so and the groomer becomes worthless. However the trails are open until the end of the month and if it cools off and they get some snow soon they may run the groomer over the trails a couple more times. The other thing is that there are parts of the trail system like the east side and around Deadwood that go away really fast when it is 50 and sunny. The trail from the Spearfish Canyon Lodge goes away very fast. I would say that if you went to Trailshead next weekend and stayed up top you could have a day of riding without too much trouble.

They are grooming tonight (Fri night), sat night and sun night. Only 1 shift going out. After this weekend it will depend on new snow and temps. Most years they do groom on a limited bases after the 15th but the mid week crew which Firetrail was on is usually done by the 15th.

Premium Features