• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

first time riding out west, gear questions, help !

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Mine was tight to get on, but correctly snug when on.

I wear a XXL 509 so that's what I ordered, I could barely get it over my head and once I did it was super tight. I tried a XXXL and same thing, hurt like hell pulling it on. once it was on it was loose. for $400 I wasn't happy with the fit of either size and then when I broke out the scales and saw that Carbon was no lighter I sent it back.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
The key to riding the mountains is layering.

Your coat and bibs should be a non insulated shell that os waterproof, and breathable.

Your base layer (next to skin) should be a wool, or synthetic product that is moisture wicking. NEVER COTTON!!!

Your mid layer, or insulation layer, should be fleece. Vests work great, as do fleece pants. Most of the time, unless it is 0 out, my insulation layer lives in my backpack, for the ride home to the truck.

Socks, wool, or synthetic. NEVER COTTON

Ace

WHAT?????

I wear Under Armor Cold Gear with Klim Insulated Jacket and Insulated bibs and that is it, never been cold.

Layering must be a Washington thing these days.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Driving all the way from NY, if you can spare it, I'd try to take a day or 2 "acclimating" on my sled, in the area. Have a little riding under your belt before chris leads you off into the back country.
Idk how much deep snow riding you've done vs trail riding, but if you're mostly trails, some time brushing up on sidehills and powder turns before the big rides w burandt would be good.
If you're flyin in and renting from birandt then scratch that.

LMAO, its going to take more than a day or two to get acclimated!

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Hey folks, lifetime snowmobiler from upstate NY. My friends and I have booked a trip the first week of March with Burandts back country adventures.
My questions are about riding gear, I'm purchasing new pants jacket gloves and helmet. I plan on using my Klim adrenaline boots. I want to try the Mission X jacket and Renegade X pants from FXR. The helmet I would like is the 509 carbon fiber altitude. Id like to hear opinions from experienced mountain riders, good choices ?? Gloves?? I need advice, I want to make this trip awesome so thanks in advance...........Jason

Not to be the A$$ on SW, but this sounds like an expensive trip (ALL NEW GEAR EXCEPT BOOTS), first off, whats wrong the gear you have now?:face-icon-small-sho

-Dressing like Chris Burandt won't make you ride like Chris Burandt
-Putting your last name on your windshield like Chris Burandt won't make you ride like Chris Burandt
-Buying a VOLK built sled won't make you ride like Chris Burandt
-Buying one of Chris Burandts sleds won't make you ride like Chris Burandt
-FYI, Chris Burandt has not made it to the top at World Championship Hillclimbs (never recieved a time), yet he gives Skinner a hard time about wrecking at gate 1!

Just be yourself and have fun!

Premium Features