• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First SNow

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
15.5" as of Thursday night around here. More in Grand Marias/Finland I think. Good start for the opener. It was 75 degrees last year.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
With the super cold temps up north...the lakes,swamps and all other wetlands should be rideable right away. Man...i can't wait!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Kind of.....

The lakes up north seem to have gotten an early start on the ice. Over 8" already on Red Lake this past weekend. Rainy River was starting to get some ice on it also. Big Sandy was ice covered when I drove by however it didn't look very thick.

However absolutely no ice in any of the swamps that we were in in the LOW area. Even the hay fields had water in them under the maybe 8" of snow they had. That early snow acted like an insulator so if you were the first tracks through you are getting wet. Had dad's Ranger out over the weekend and it's crazy how wet it is. They need some cold weather before they get any more snow otherwise it's going to be a mess this winter in the swamps.

Sledhed2012

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2016
River Falls,WI
Kind of.....

The lakes up north seem to have gotten an early start on the ice. Over 8" already on Red Lake this past weekend. Rainy River was starting to get some ice on it also. Big Sandy was ice covered when I drove by however it didn't look very thick.

However absolutely no ice in any of the swamps that we were in in the LOW area. Even the hay fields had water in them under the maybe 8" of snow they had. That early snow acted like an insulator so if you were the first tracks through you are getting wet. Had dad's Ranger out over the weekend and it's crazy how wet it is. They need some cold weather before they get any more snow otherwise it's going to be a mess this winter in the swamps.

Your very true. It will act like insulation but the ice under will be making more..although it will be much slower. Definitely have to be extremely careful wherever there are swamps and ponds and lakes. We alwaysntalk to the locals up there before we try and cross anything. Live to ride another day!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I really think the swamps are going to be an issue this year because of all the rain we have had the last 8+ months.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I really think the swamps are going to be an issue this year because of all the rain we have had the last 8+ months.

I'm with you on that. I could not believe how wet it still was at the hunting land last weekend for this time of year.

But right now we just need some cold before the snows hit too hard and get the lakes solid. I'd much rather deal with wet swamps (like most years) then bad ice on the lakes. LOL

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Early this week we got around 10" and yesterday around 5". More tonight! North and south shore could see more.

picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features