• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride Tips/Help

I have taken the plunge! I will be running a 2019 KTM 450SXF paired with a 2019 ARO120 kit. Ive done a TON of research and I am curious about my first ride. Never rode a snowbike.

As far as the Timbersled kit goes, what do I need to pay attention to on my first couple rides? Ive read the owners manual but I am curious what you guys find yourself checking/adjusting on the first few rides?

This is my first KTM as well. To the guys running KTM’s, is there anything KTM specific you keep an eye on/adjust/maintain thats snowbike specific? I will be running a thermobob with a temp gauge to keep an eye on my temps. As well as an engine jacket/skid plate.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Cant wait for some snow!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I decided to go the selkirk jacket, stat and heated handle bars because that pretty much covers everything you need in one little package.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
You may or may not need to block a radiator or both depending on conditions. I find the bikes will run plenty hot on the groomed trail but in deep snow can run really cold, even with a t stat. With the blanket you may not need to do anything with radiators. I haven't tried those myself.

Get yourself a jump pack. It may be needed if the battery gets low or its real cold.

Have fun! You will love it!

D
Mar 29, 2010
I still have a ‘15, not sure if this applies to the new kits.

I’d rec on your first ride to bring tools for adjusting tension on both chains. Mine stretched quite a bit for first couple rides. I also waxed my chain every ride, and greased bearings and anything with a zerk.

Also check the spindle hardware, as it may loosen up a bit.

I’m going on my 5th year on the kit, and have only replaced one part - idler sprocket on drive chain.

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
I am new to the sport as well. I have a '18 ktm 350 and '19 ARO 129. Just finished spending a small fortune on parts and gear and couldn't be more excited to see snow fly. I don't know of anything ktm specific but will be watching this thread. Cheers

Thank you all for the help. I will keep an eye on my chains and keep everything lubricated. I really enjoy the bike, extremely smooth powerband and probably the best ergonomics of any bike ive rode.

“JustAnewb”
I am about ready to do the same thing. I enjoy wrenching so I cant wait to tear the bike down and get it converted. What did you choose for an intake? I was thinking the Timbersled or C3 brand pod style intake.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You got all the gadgets you need.
First ride, yeah id be checking bolts or at least inspecting .
Assume you broke in the bike already?
Never had a brand spankin new machine so never faced these "issues" lol, but did upgrade to a '16 FC450/TS ST this year and just as pumped!
One thing I don't see mentioned much if ever is ice scratchers. No different than a sled as far as hard pack trails and melting hyfax. I've run a single ice scratcher on my old Timbersled only 1 is needed.

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
“JustAnewb”
I am about ready to do the same thing. I enjoy wrenching so I cant wait to tear the bike down and get it converted. What did you choose for an intake? I was thinking the Timbersled or C3 brand pod style intake.

I ordered the Selkirk velocity stack intake and plan on pulling the airbox. I have read and heard that the airbox is a pia to get out. I just received a ship notification and should be able to build my steed in a couple weeks. C3 would have been my next choice but Selkirk is in the same state.

Premium Features