• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ever ride....it was ...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Start learning how to ride on one ski while sitting down.
It's easier than u think. I can actually sidehill 30° slopes sitting down.

While on flat ground and sitting, hook ur toes in to the right stirup, lean to the left, pull the right hand back(which turns the bars right) while blipping the throttle, boom ur on the left ski. Now play with the steering to find the balance point.

Sent it

C
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks man ! Iam having fun for sure just trying lol. Well the extra embarrassing part is I only bought a 600! So you 850 guys iam sure are rolling your eyes lol. I cant even imagine how powerful a 850 turbo must be! It's an artic cat m6. So yeah iam getting beat up by your girlfriends sled lol. Actually think its powerful!! The instantaneous acceleration is something new to me. I only ever had harleys as motorcycles lol. Guess a harleys snowmobile is a bearcat? Gonna be a steep learning curve but iam having a blast thinking about it lol. Thanks to all who had such positive feedback I appreciate it!!
Unless you're + 4000' 6 or 8 isn't an issue for beginning ...
I still have some 13 600s and can go pretty much anywhere the 8s can ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
No way iam allready doing mental prep for re-entrys lol! Were in Bozeman and we went to west Yellowstone for our first ride. It's way flatter down there cause I got scared to go to far up first few times lol! We just rode around the lake. Super mellow. No mountain rider would go there!!! Going back to my meadow for practice Saturday or maybe the little belts? They just got two feet of snow yesterday. Called a club there and a couple guys said they'd take me around if I wanted but think they'd not be stoked on my practice moves lol. Light bulbs starting to flicker a bit on the turn....famous last words. I think what I really need is a really loud gore-tex onesie then I'd be ripping lol. Idaho's my favorite place to get terrified in the river. Did lochsa madness two years ago and almost "went toward the light" like to go to island park soon too. Was told it's good begginer terrain . Thanks everyone iam felling motivated (and sore).

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My advice would be start out on flat ground, wrong foot forward, and just work with little blips of throttle to simply get the sled on edge. Let it back down. Do it over again. Keep working at just pulling the sled up to its balance point and letting it back down. Over and over and over. You’ll be spinning donuts before you know it.

One thing I wish I would have done when starting out was to work on BOTH sides of the sled an equal amount. Like most I became comfortable on the left side first. I could shred about any treed terrain on the left side of my sled but it took years to get comfortable on the right side, and I still much prefer to be wrong foot forward on the left side when chit gets hairy.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon

I was in this particular class. Written by one of the newer riders in the group. We even had a pregnant lady (shown in the picture with the blue backpack).

Although Amber no longer has these courses available they are well worth the time, effort and money.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I have a lot of respect for 600's the perfect starter sled, rides lighter, but still enough power to bust your ass... stay with it for a season, at least. Jumping to an 850 will just frustrate you more than you already are

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks! Yeah I actually tried to find her but shes no longer doing the classes. I did sign my daughter up for a womans class with Rasmussen lol! They had so much interest this year their doing two and after I talked to them they said she could do one as a raw begginer. I asked if I could do it to and they said no lol!! I've watched so many videos ism feeling ready to give her the onion lol. Thsnks again nice to have experts give advice!

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
As many have said, STICK WITH IT! We have all been where you're at, this is not an overnight "thing". Yes, there are those that get it much faster than others (both male and female), but it takes time and dedication to hone the skills needed to "look" good :) Every time we are out riding, I guarantee you, all of us are practicing on some level, I know I am (every time). Lots a good info being given to you, in my mind as I stated, the biggest thing is don't give up. Commitment and an understanding of; momentum, anticipation, standing up, counterbalancing, tipping point, and throttle control are important aspects that need mastered. Also, keep a plan "B", plan "C", and plan "D" ready to go to as soon as plan "A" starts to fall apart:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Always be prepared to "compromise". That's my 2 cents for ya, enjoy it, don't get overly frustrated, and practice, practice, practice.:cool:?

Don't worry about a 600, they flat out can get it done, great starting platform (seriously), smart decision (M6).

Btw, welcome to the sport brother!

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm about to turn 33 and have been riding in the mountains since I was 8... still learning things! Just work at it a little at a time and enjoy. Getting into situations over your head is the quickest way to make someone hate snowmobiling. Two weeks ago I spent the day in Cooke City on a friend's wife's 2014 M6000. I was really impressed with how capable it was. Even at that elevation pulling my 300lbs around! I did notice it had a fairly harsh engagement and might be the on/off feeling you are referring to on your sled if they have similar clutch calibrations. Might need a lower initial rate primary spring to smooth that out for you.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Headed back this morning. Hope to be more prepared lol. Yeah the clutch thing is like Chinese to me right now but seems like theres a combination of spring/weight and gearing that coukdvmake it a bit more crybaby friendly. Thanks for all the great advice and positive ju ju. Today's lessons include throttle control and balancing then bow ties and super man jumps....lol

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Go out and have fun, it'll come to you. I've had my ass handed to me many times by flyweight riders, advantage to the 225 lb rider?, bullshit, your the guy with the 100 lb weight advantage, take a wild guess at what it costs to take 100 lbs off a sled. I don't care how long you've been riding if you don't fall off once in awhile your not trying hard enough.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Thanks man ! Iam having fun for sure just trying lol. Well the extra embarrassing part is I only bought a 600! So you 850 guys iam sure are rolling your eyes lol. I cant even imagine how powerful a 850 turbo must be! It's an artic cat m6. So yeah iam getting beat up by your girlfriends sled lol. Actually think its powerful!! The instantaneous acceleration is something new to me. I only ever had harleys as motorcycles lol. Guess a harleys snowmobile is a bearcat? Gonna be a steep learning curve but iam having a blast thinking about it lol. Thanks to all who had such positive feedback I appreciate it!!
The M6 is a really good sled -- especially as you are just getting started. Great advice above about working on skills and getting seat time. I rode an M7 for years and could go just about all the places the guys on newer sleds could access.
It's been said before, but some simple, easy advice: "When in doubt, throttle out". It's especially true when you need to turn, carve, think you might be stuck, etc. Good luck.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah boy!! Third ride today and did a couple re entry's , few bow ties and wheelied through tight trees on a 37° degree slope! Well...maybe not but at least felt the balance point a few times and climbed a small hill!!! Yeah baby lol. I got stuck alot and noticed I needed more fitness!!! Heavy breathing lol! Found the spot to learn and will head back next weekend!!! I learned that you have to commit the WHOLE move not just one or two parts. Step , counter steer, throttle all at once . Even wind up a bit by going opposite lean hard , step ,lean opposite throttle then she goes over like mad!! My out rigger foot step was more like a run i couldn't keep up with lol! Must look like such an ass out there lol. I tell you its gonna take some getting used to flinging through space while the thing screams along. Kinda scary lol. You guys have my respect !! Fun stuff. Just gotta nut up ! Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is a bit frustrating to know what you NEED to do also scares the bejeasus out ya lol! I figure at this rate I'll be burandt in two more life times!

Attachments

• 20210130_133858.jpg
    20210130_133858.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 20
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
This is going to sound counter to what you have been reading and watching.

Slow down!! Do these actions in slow motion. Get the sled popped up on edge, stop. Wrong foot forward, start walking the sled one throttle burp at a time for each step. Don't bring your walking foot behind your body but stop when it is even with the foot on the running board. Step forward and repeat. As you progress, you will be able to hold that edge while crawling along with your rudder foot out ready to react. Start out too fast you are always in reaction mode.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Man you are right!! I tried and tried and kept just pulling it over on myself lol. Iam gonna keep trying the blip and step though you are so right on that!!! The whole thumb throttle thing is weird at best. That's my real problem , I really cat make smoth changes with the throttle at all. Thanks nan

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
When you are out riding around on flat ground (trail or meadow) listen and feel where the clutch engages. Lets say it engages at 4,000 rpm. Ride it between 4,000 and 6,000 and listen to what it sounds like. Now when you are doing your maneuvers as I mentioned above, don't let the motor drop down to idle between each burp but bring it down to lets say 3500-3800 so it is right below engagement so it is less abrupt when you get back on it since it can be more responsive. Once you get the hang of it, you can then start burping the throttle but then bringing it back down to 4100-4200 so you are still engaged but just creeping along. This will maintain momentum and traction so you aren't burping a hole under the sled each time. Before you know it, the balance, momentum and control will feel natural.

Premium Features