• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Black Hills Snow

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
First storm of the season finally hit the Black Hills today. We got 8 inches here in Hot Springs. I do not know how much they got up on the snowmobile trails but it look like on the radar the storm we got down South came through Trailshead, Deerfield, Custer and through Hot Springs. The Hardy Camp web cam showed it was snowing good before dark. The mowed grass around Hardy Camp was already covered up by this afternoon. Snow just quit here in Hot Springs. Suppose to be cold tonight with a low of 7 in Hot Springs and 5 in Lead. I took my Chaparral SSX I have been restoring all summer for its first ride tonight. Very quick sled for a 1974 440. Currently quicker than the Vmax 540 I have also been working on that I test rode tonight.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I've been wanting to ride the Black Hill for the last few years since it is fairly close to me, but it just doesn't seem to stack up there too often. I'm glad you do your updates. Hopefully it piles up there this year and I can finally make it out there.

How does the off trail work there? Are there certain areas that are off limits? Any maps avaiable that would show the off trail areas?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I've been wanting to ride the Black Hill for the last few years since it is fairly close to me, but it just doesn't seem to stack up there too often. I'm glad you do your updates. Hopefully it piles up there this year and I can finally make it out there.

How does the off trail work there? Are there certain areas that are off limits? Any maps avaiable that would show the off trail areas?

I would also be interested in a little more info about riding in the black hills area.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Snotel is currently showing 7 inches of snow for Blind Park and 4 inches for North Rapid Creek. Looks like the storm favored the Southern part of the system as I expected. Another storm system is predicted for around Thanksgiving.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
a majority of the black hills area is open for offtrail use, however, there are certain parts that go through private property and there are signs that say to stay on the trail. Aside from that, there are a few wildlife areas and a couple small areas for XC use, but those are well marked both around the sites and on the snowmobiling maps. You can get the maps mailed to you if you request them.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007

If u are use to riding Wyoming and Colorado. The black hills are more like the bunny hills. I live in SD and haven't rode there in 5 years.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I'm ok with bunny hills if there is good snow and its less than half the distance. Just never seems to be good snow.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Just don't go off trail if the snotell isn't reading around the 30" or more mark. Very sketchy with all the stumps cut off a knee height!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
First storm of the season finally hit the Black Hills today. We got 8 inches here in Hot Springs. I do not know how much they got up on the snowmobile trails but it look like on the radar the storm we got down South came through Trailshead, Deerfield, Custer and through Hot Springs. The Hardy Camp web cam showed it was snowing good before dark. The mowed grass around Hardy Camp was already covered up by this afternoon. Snow just quit here in Hot Springs. Suppose to be cold tonight with a low of 7 in Hot Springs and 5 in Lead. I took my Chaparral SSX I have been restoring all summer for its first ride tonight. Very quick sled for a 1974 440. Currently quicker than the Vmax 540 I have also been working on that I test rode tonight.
Nice on the Chaparral. I think that they had poor traction and they were owned by Rupp industries. That's what I remember anyways. :face-icon-small-con

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Nice on the Chaparral. I think that they had poor traction and they were owned by Rupp industries. That's what I remember anyways. :face-icon-small-con

Chaparral was not owned by Rupp they were owned by Armco industries in Denver Colorado. Rupp and Chaparral shared the same motor. The 440 liquid Xenoah motor used in my 74 Chaparral was the same motor used in the 76-77 Rupp Nitro's and Magnums. The only difference Rupp used different carbs, pipes and went to a 3 petal reed instead of a 2 petal reed. Rupp also did more aggressive porting bumping HP to 70 compared to Chaparrals 50HP. Still the 440 SSX Chaparral was very fast in its day. 50hp was top of the line for a consumer sled and was very advanced for its day with slide suspension, CDI ignition, liquid cooling, reed induction and an all aluminum frame weighing approx 360lbs.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 98
R
Dec 23, 2014
Watertown, SD
Bunny hills? yes. Shallow snow and stumps? yes. But don't forget, if you wreck your sled or the snow sucks, there's always Deadwood! The Black Hills hospitality and entertainment can't be beat by any other riding area.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Bunny hills? yes. Shallow snow and stumps? yes. But don't forget, if you wreck your sled or the snow sucks, there's always Deadwood! The Black Hills hospitality and entertainment can't be beat by any other riding area.
Good point. Never had a bad drink in DW.

L

Left front up

Dec 18, 2009
Miltona, MN
If you can hit the black hills when the snow is right, and above the stumps it can be just as much fun as further out west. Not really any highmarking or anything of that nature but can be a blast with the right conditions.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
If you can hit the black hills when the snow is right, and above the stumps it can be just as much fun as further out west. Not really any highmarking or anything of that nature but can be a blast with the right conditions.

He's right. No massive hill climbs or anything like further west, but if the snow is decent there is lots of fun, tight tree riding to be had if that's your thing. Get off trail a few miles and there is plenty of untouched stuff...

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Chaparral was not owned by Rupp they were owned by Armco industries in Denver Colorado. Rupp and Chaparral shared the same motor. The 440 liquid Xenoah motor used in my 74 Chaparral was the same motor used in the 76-77 Rupp Nitro's and Magnums. The only difference Rupp used different carbs, pipes and went to a 3 petal reed instead of a 2 petal reed. Rupp also did more aggressive porting bumping HP to 70 compared to Chaparrals 50HP. Still the 440 SSX Chaparral was very fast in its day. 50hp was top of the line for a consumer sled and was very advanced for its day with slide suspension, CDI ignition, liquid cooling, reed induction and an all aluminum frame weighing approx 360lbs.

Wow! Nice job...it looks great!

S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota

Judging by your username I am guessing you race some sort of modified or late model?

Premium Features