• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fingers On Powerclaw 2.6

T
Dec 10, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
How many guys have cut off the fingers on the 2.6 track to make it like the 3"?

What are the pros of this? Have heard less trenching and grabs a little bit better ?

Is it working or not worth it?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I may be mistaken but, I didn't think it was the fingers that were cut off.

I believe it was every other paddle was cut off to create more space between the paddles to grip the snow better.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I may be mistaken but, I didn't think it was the fingers that were cut off.

I believe it was every other paddle was cut off to create more space between the paddles to grip the snow better.
No, cut off fingers between paddles so u have a track that looks just like the 3in claw.

tapatio...

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've done my last 2 sleds with the 2.6 and did a lite port job. With the fingures and the porting I lost 4 lbs. It works great def gets up on the snow better doesnt trench as much. I was going to switch to the 3in power claw but after cutting the fingures off and porting it I put that money into a belt drive.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I cut the fingers from my 2.25 powerclaw...works much better. I had a problem before with the nose coming up too much during slow, full throttle moves in sidehills or climbing. Gets up on top much better now and the slow, full throttle situations the nose stays down better.

To cut mine off, was pretty easy. I used a sawzall and pair of large vice grips. I would rotate the track so that the finger was horizontal off the back idler wheel, clamp the vice grip on the end of the paddle (which would bend it down a bit) and then would cut from the top of finger downwards...as the cut progressed, the weight of the vice grip kept the cut well open and avoided any smoking or friction and didn't need oil or anything. Cuts were clean and it was simple. I didn't cut too close to the bottom...left about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each finger. Worked great and was fast.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
how does it affect descents? faster or slower? Poos 2.6 is so versatile because it downhills well.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You go a little faster down hill still very manageable. The improvement def out weighs the slightly faster down hill speeds imo.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^ooo, hmmm... so maybe there's the benefit to keeping them for some folks, like Taylor Fisk.? I follow him and he likes the fingers for some reason. seems like a good rider.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
how does it affect descents? faster or slower?

I didn't notice any difference, but doesn't mean I'm right. To be honest, the Powerclaw has always been a bit of a magic carpet ride down the hills. But seemed to do well on bigger downhills.

Do know that I was against this mod initially...I didn't think it made sense. See the link posted for the older thread on this, and i stated against it a few times...wrongly. Keyboard highmarking for sure. Biggest thing I noticed was jumping up on the snow better, holding steep climbs without requiring as much pressure in rear shock and leaning forward. Just better balanced. And this with a 2.25...so there is that. No exactly ground breaking track technology. But, a good mod, I dropped around 3 lbs and am glad I did it.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Have been running my 2.6 like this for 3-4 seasons now. I have seen no negatives, only positives. I don't think decents changed at all. The other two cats in the group have since followed suit.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
So, do you think the 3.0" Powerclaw could benefit from any of this voodoo magic?

The front end on my 153" x 3" rockets into the sky when I pin the throttle and when climbing it wants to come over backward. I have the shocks set so the front end is still lively but, it stops just short of coming over backward.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So, do you think the 3.0" Powerclaw could benefit from any of this voodoo magic?

The front end on my 153" x 3" rockets into the sky when I pin the throttle and when climbing it wants to come over backward. I have the shocks set so the front end is still lively but, it stops just short of coming over backward.
3in doesn't have stand alone fingers like the 2.25 and 2.6 claws.

tapatio...

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The front end on my 153" x 3" rockets into the sky when I pin the throttle and when climbing it wants to come over backward.

Yeah, you can only do so much. Mine still has this issue as well, but it's better (and I'm only on a 2.25).

Ideally, you install a coupler...this is the true fix for keeping the nose down. My buddies with the big HP 4 strokers all have couplers. And would benefit mine but I don't ride enough anymore to warrant spending money.

Premium Features