• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert/Turbo Heavy Front End Feel

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The new spindles might have something to do with it , I swapped out the 19 summit spindles with the newer ones and the jury is out on the verdict at the moment . That few degrees probably has a lot to do with changing the leverage , it's different .

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Norona said spindles are the same. They are identical so thats not it. Like stated there was a rail change and maybe a combo with stiffer shocks. I never rode a 19.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
List of changes for the 20 Expert
3736327cb63db905eab492e3cd4718b7.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Norona said spindles are the same. They are identical so thats not it. Like stated there was a rail change and maybe a combo with stiffer shocks. I never rode a 19.
The newer spindles changed the camber , we have a couple thousand on the 19 so it was noticeable when I swapped them out . They made quite a few changes from the 18 to 19 , I think the ski saddles are different too on the 19 & 20 , I'm guessing those two changes would make a difference . The ski bushing stiffener is different on the 20 from the 19 too . Lots of incremental changes , Doo is moving forward so fast now that it's getting difficult to keep up and one or two changes isn't going to be the complete package . I kept the Munster ski stiffeners that we were using on the 19 spindles . It was a lot harder getting the spindle bolt threw even though they are used on the 20s' . Had to use some leverage with the newer spindles , so I think the front end has changed quite a bit from the previous model . I made one to many changes to be able to say what changed but those changes made a difference .
The 19's I think where a noticeable changing point that kind of got overlooked late season or something and it transferred over to the 20's plus even more changes .
The days of counter steering are finally gone and the fun factor went up another level , it's getting harder to hang on :)

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I have ridden a 18 165" with Toms T-motion delete with Fox Evols with dura pros until three weeks ago when I bought the 20.5 turbo. Like the 18 a lot and appreciate all the upgrades I've installed over the 1400mi of riding. It's a worthy sled.

I briefly rode the 20 expert a month ago and it felt very solid stock, and I immediately noticed the new spindles and rubbers on the front end, along with far better valving than my 18 sp shocks from the factory. The stock SP shocks are garbage worthy.

The new straight rails from 19 on likely make a difference, and the chassis on the 20 expert and turbo sleds feels more stiff and solid overall.

Every year doo makes improvements. Many are just rip offs from the aftermarket, but that's ok by me. The stock shocks on the 20.5 turbo are very ridable. I never thought I could ride with t-motion again, but at this point after 180mi on the turbo I am not certain the problem with how my 18 handled was really caused by the t-motion. The only place I've disliked t-motion in the past is while sidehilling and crossing old firm tracks.

So, focusing to the newest stock shocks/rails/spindles/rubbers: they are better. I do prefer a heavier front end feel (as it's been described by OP) because it provides more ease in technical handling. Instead of heavier, I'd say it's more predictable and straight for riding tech. That's what I want. Doo has historically lagged in this technical/sidehilling realm with stock performance, and they've made major improvements in two years. Nice work.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I read this thread with interest but with a Polaris point of view. I have been preaching the benefits of the Polaris handling for years over the Doo and I finally am hearing the Doo riders "getting it" not from me but from their own experiences. The Doo has always had soft spongy suspension. It is great for hitting a bumpy straight trail but get into technical crap and it leaves you hanging. The move toward a stiffer, more precise shock/ski dampener package is making some get that heavy feeling. The Expert was finally getting the weight down to a point where stiffer suspension could be enjoyed but not fought against. Now the turbo has more weight again and it is not only heavier it is all in the front, on one side with a heavy can. I rode with 2020 Experts and with 2020.5 turbo in the group last season. These guys did figure it out with center shock and limiter strap adjustments. The ride was feeling quite similar by the end of the season. As a Polaris rider I would jump on both the Turbo and the N/A Expert and the biggest thing I noticed was clutching. The Expert was so snappy it almost felt out of control. This snappiness would however lift the front and take weight off the skis. The Turbo felt more like my 850 Polaris. Smooth and a bit more delayed in response but kept pulling like a freight train until you were going way too fast for control. I think with suspension adjustments most will get used to it. If you want it a whole bunch better though they will have to go on a diet. I bet that a light weight can would make a huge noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Premium Features