• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert Shock Issue

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Got it figured out, had to remove it and put it in a vise. Turns out it was already set looser than it was supposed to go and as Turboless Terry said the collar had pulled the plastic ring out of the grooves and gotten it stuck. I just thought there was no way there wasn't any more adjustment in them since they had probably an inch of threads above the collar still.
The first one I did was the same way but it moved freely still so I just thought they had gotten rid of the plastic piece with the numbers on it (the only other doo I've been around is my 2015). I tightened the fts so we'll see if that helps with the handling. The way I'd describe it is that the sled "plants" itself back on 2 skis when just doing easy back and forth carving. It's not a smooth transition from side to side. My old Polaris was like this and I was able to dial it in with just front shock adjustments, but doesn't seem like it'll be that easy with this one.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
It is stuck on the plastic sleeve when threaded too high. If you have to, take it out and put it in a vice. Then you can get a wrench on it. The problem is the valving or spring package or both. All the experts and the turbo feel front heavy compared to the older gen 4's. A guy, who bought my wife's 17, rode her turbo and even said it is really front heavy. It's not the turbo. The regular expert felt the same way. I think the fts needs tightened a bunch. I wouldn't unhook the sway bar but that's me. The negatives outweigh the positives to me. You can always try it and find out for yourself. Ranks right up with the adjustable ski stance. Oh wait, i have to change my stance or sway bar before I go off trail. Right. It is there new setup because the 17, 18 and 19 weren't this way.
Yeah I want to avoid messing with the sway bar, I jacked up the FTS so we'll see if that helps. Torsion springs were already on 1. It doesn't necessarily feel heavier to me, but just more "planted." Also, looking at the adjustable limiter strap, it seems like it's as loose as it will go, but it has tension on it while the other straps up front have slack in them, I almost think the adjustable one is too short to start with.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Yeah I want to avoid messing with the sway bar, I jacked up the FTS so we'll see if that helps. Torsion springs were already on 1. It doesn't necessarily feel heavier to me, but just more "planted." Also, looking at the adjustable limiter strap, it seems like it's as loose as it will go, but it has tension on it while the other straps up front have slack in them, I almost think the adjustable one is too short to start with.

I agree too short on limiter strap, adjustable not Doing anything.
But I’m getting just enough ski lift to be happy!
If you guys like the X package now
Like I did, the expert may not a good match, guys that hate skidoo for it’s flip floppy nature might love the expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Dec 20, 2018
love my expert night and day over my 2018 freeride......limiter strap isnt installed correctly from the factory theres is a thread on here about that.....

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Well according to Doo manual it is installed correctly.
It all depends on how much adjustability you want.
From the factory, it gives about 1 hole between long and short. If you move the fixed limiter strap, you can do two holes between long and short mode.

On mine, I kept it factory. Long mode wheelies plenty, and short mode is somewhat heavy front end feeling and I only use it on special days with TONS of snow.

I really like how the Expert feels vs the X previous models, so I guess it really comes down to preference.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
It all depends on how much adjustability you want.
From the factory, it gives about 1 hole between long and short. If you move the fixed limiter strap, you can do two holes between long and short mode.

On mine, I kept it factory. Long mode wheelies plenty, and short mode is somewhat heavy front end feeling and I only use it on special days with TONS of snow.

I really like how the Expert feels vs the X previous models, so I guess it really comes down to preference.
Just saying that the set up from the factory was as it reads in the manual.96F41D60-F09F-4D6A-B930-6DE1900D5950.png

Premium Features