• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert Shock Issue

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Has anyone had problems with the shock adjustment on the Expert shocks? My girlfriend's front shocks are set too stiff for her, so I tried to loosen them for her and the spring adjustment collar on one side is stuck, I can't get it to budge one way or the other.
On the other side, it moves easily and I can adjust it with just my hand, however I noticed that the black ring with the number 1 was moving along with it. I'm wondering if that's what is causing the issue on the other side? The way they were set up from the dealer, you couldn't see the numbers at all as they were behind the adjustment collar.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Had this exact problem. My wife hated her expert. Tried loosening front shocks and they were stuck. Finally got it unstuck. I think they are as soft as they go. The plastic collars on hers don't turn and are stopping me from utilizing the 1/4 or 1/2 inch of thread above. Just assumed they need that much preload to keep spring in place. I don't know. Also softened her rear spring to 1 because i have always set them on 5. I boosted fts and narrowed skis. They were set wide on first day. Also moved front limiter because it wouldn't let adjustable limiter go full long. She hated the sled and she loved my 18 blueberry with silber, that i gave her, when i got a new one. I traded her expert for the new turbo and she doesn't like it either. I don't know what they did but they feel really front heavy to me. Valving or springs maybe. This summer i am yanking the suspension and track and putting an alpha track and suspension in it for her.

stuckdoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
Did you try moving the rear suspension mount to the upper hole you will have to drill it out? I have done this for smaller riders and it will relieve that ski heavy feel.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Is the sled in a heated shop while you are doing this? I've never had luck adjusting the front springs out in the cold. You could also try to lift the skis off the ground to unload the springs some more. I bet once you break it free it will turn alright, it's just that initial friction or slight deformation of the threads you're fighting.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Had this exact problem. My wife hated her expert. Tried loosening front shocks and they were stuck. Finally got it unstuck. I think they are as soft as they go. The plastic collars on hers don't turn and are stopping me from utilizing the 1/4 or 1/2 inch of thread above. Just assumed they need that much preload to keep spring in place. I don't know. Also softened her rear spring to 1 because i have always set them on 5. I boosted fts and narrowed skis. They were set wide on first day. Also moved front limiter because it wouldn't let adjustable limiter go full long. She hated the sled and she loved my 18 blueberry with silber, that i gave her, when i got a new one. I traded her expert for the new turbo and she doesn't like it either. I don't know what they did but they feel really front heavy to me. Valving or springs maybe. This summer i am yanking the suspension and track and putting an alpha track and suspension in it for her.

What did you use to get it unstuck? The wrench thing that came with the sled doesn't work very well as there are no notches on the adjustment collar for it to grab on to.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I've tried that on other sleds and always hated it. The doos need a more stable front end feel, I've found that removing the sway bar makes the front end even more unpredictable than they already are.

The expert has a stiffer front end, removing it will soften it for your GF.
You can also widen the skistance with the swaybar removed.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What did you use to get it unstuck? The wrench thing that came with the sled doesn't work very well as there are no notches on the adjustment collar for it to grab on to.
I made sure i was going the right way and just gave it everything I had. The other side moved. I was thinking i was going to have to take it in but it finally came loose. The wrench is a joke. Maybe it would work if shock was off sled.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Don't think completely removing the sway bar is a good thing
You can't have one without the other , Doo takes great pride in the R&D , the only way to run without it permanently is to have the shocks rebuilt to compensate for the sway bar . Some handling characteristics that was liked will be gone . You'll also know when they are due because the front end will clean your clock when your not expecting it :)

There is actually a fine line running with and without the sway bar connected with a dialed in machine .

If your adjusting the shocks to the extreme either you need them attended to or you purchased a machine that does not suite your needs .

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Is this sled being used as a trail sled or a MTN sled?
Removing the sway bar link in the alpine is a common practice to those who know what the benefits are. Give it a try, it will soften the front suspension for her.
Put it back in on the trail. There is a reason why doo makes a removable link as an accessory.
I thought the whole point of this thread was to get the sled setup for the OP GF?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Is this sled being used as a trail sled or a MTN sled?
Removing the sway bar link in the alpine is a common practice to those who know what the benefits are. Give it a try, it will soften the front suspension for her.
Put it back in on the trail. There is a reason why doo makes a removable link as an accessory.
I thought the whole point of this thread was to get the sled setup for the OP GF?
Riding in the mountains, but the negative traits I'm talking about have nothing to do with the trail. If I did remove the swaybar, I'd have to adjust the shocks anyway which is the problem I'm having.... the adjustment collar won't budge.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Riding in the mountains, but the negative traits I'm talking about have nothing to do with the trail. If I did remove the swaybar, I'd have to adjust the shocks anyway which is the problem I'm having.... the adjustment collar won't budge.

When I remove my sway bar link I dont touch my springs.
Try it and see what your GF thinks, I know what your saying but thats your riding style, It may work for her.
Ive had the removable sway bar link on two of my sleds already. Its handy.

Sounds like you have sand on the threads of the collar, have you tried a cleaner to clean the threads?
Also if there is any amount of extra tension on the front springs they will be hard to turn, try jacking the front of the sled up to unload the suspension, no tools should be needed to turn the springs to set the preload.

Come to think of it, are you trying to back the front spring lower than position 1. I do not recommend that anyway. You may not have enough spring tension to keep the spring in the keepers.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Can you put up a Picture of the shock , I don't understand how you can't turn it . It doesn't compute on this end .

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
We had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, had to spray some lubricant on shock collar, must of got some grit in the threads. Let it sit and then move the collar back and forth until it frees. Good luck.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is stuck on the plastic sleeve when threaded too high. If you have to, take it out and put it in a vice. Then you can get a wrench on it. The problem is the valving or spring package or both. All the experts and the turbo feel front heavy compared to the older gen 4's. A guy, who bought my wife's 17, rode her turbo and even said it is really front heavy. It's not the turbo. The regular expert felt the same way. I think the fts needs tightened a bunch. I wouldn't unhook the sway bar but that's me. The negatives outweigh the positives to me. You can always try it and find out for yourself. Ranks right up with the adjustable ski stance. Oh wait, i have to change my stance or sway bar before I go off trail. Right. It is there new setup because the 17, 18 and 19 weren't this way.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
What do you guys mean when you say nose heavy?
That it’s hard to steer and get on edge?
Or it nose dives in soft snow?
I find the expert and Turbo ride more like a Poo, very stiff suspension calibration and a very planted feel.. harder for me to get on edge.
I tried the skis in the wide position just because that’s how it came and hated it!
Limiter strap stock position
Running adjustable limiter strap long
Rear torsion on 1
Skis narrow
Sway bar connected
Took 2 days to get used to it
Left the shocks alone and like it now.
Very different from my 17X that I loved
Have had the chance to ride set-up marginal snow and very deep days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Heavy, planted, harder to get on edge. Steers easy and does not nose dive. Feels like a 4 stroke with all the weight in the nose. She hated her expert. I adjusted it and got it way better but traded it for turbo so she never rode it again. The gimmicky limiter wouldn't go full long. Fixed that. Skis narrow. Rear spring on one which i always had the others in 5. Fronts as soft as they go. Boosted fts. Going to crank the bejesus out of her fts on the turbo and see what happens.

Premium Features