• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert 34" Front end - Who's ridden one?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
To those who have ridden the 34" front end - What kind of riding do you do and how did you like the narrower ski stance vs the 36"?

With minor differences otherwise, I'm trying to decide if the better shocks on the Freeride are a good tradeoff for the 34" front end or not.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Here's a review from Snowgoer:

Sure enough, when our mountain tester got some seat time – or, more appropriately for mountain applications, riding time standing above the small and narrow seat! – the machine was more playful in open areas. It was both easier to roll up and also holds its tilt angle with less effort.

He did experience a bit of a trade-off when tilting the sled on a slope and sidehilling, however. With the narrowness of the front end, there are circumstances where the sled will “panel out,” meaning the side panel of the sled will put enough force on the hill where it will unload the ski on which it’s supposed to be resting. The built-in adjustability should help with that – but it proved that riding at the narrowest, 34-inch settings may not be for everybody in all riding cicumstances.

That said, the new narrow Expert was also more playful in other situations as well. For instance, when climbing straight up a hill and then trying to whip the sled around for a re-entry or to square it up and go across the slope, it was much easier to make the sled change direction with the skis tucked a little more together. It was a bit of a handful on the rough, single-track trails that often lead to the playgrounds, however.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I'm curious if Doo will offer the 34 inch front end as a kit to retrofit existing Summits and what the price will be.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here's a review from Snowgoer:

With the narrowness of the front end, there are circumstances where the sled will “panel out,” meaning the side panel of the sled will put enough force on the hill where it will unload the ski on which it’s supposed to be resting.
This is likely one place where the Poo does have a real mechanical advantage over the Doo.
our baby needs to go on a bit of a GIRTH DIET in the Gen 5 release...

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I am surprised that doo didn't put some narrower plastic on the expert... knowing that the 34" will inevitably cause panel out symptoms quicker with one less inch of ski stance width.

Definitely realize changing panel and belly pan plastics would take a supplier retool, but let's be honest, the aftermarket has led nearly EVERY incremental upgrade or improvement on the Gen4: clutching, vents, spindles, ski rubbers, suspension, ski stance, brake reservoir cover, lower bar riser and no/low grab handle, lower seat, better running boards, etc. Helium makes lower profile plastic for all the purposes. If only that too had been emulated as a last ditch effort to make the gen4 better. Alas.

And we can probably all agree that the turbo was pushed (both in demand and consumer expectations) by the aftermarket, and ultimately perfected for reliability and pump gas by the doo engineers.

Polaris has two big things happening right now. Yes, as a doo rider I wish that 22 was bringing us a gen5, but I get why that's not the case. Hopefully 23 is the year that the chasis takes a huge leap forward in narrowness, better performance in technical riding, and weight reduction.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am super happy with my 21 sleds, a little disappointed for so little for 22, but fine with it. I don't really need narrower, but....might be interesting. My 21 146 FR is definitely easier to throw around than my 21 165 Expert. They changed something in the skid/limiter/shocks on the Experts over last year. It's different. My 20 165 was nose light on either limiter setting. My 21 feels much more planted, even with the long limiter setting. Takes more effort, but it works better for sure. I am worried about the paneling after they finally kinda got it better. Having flashbacks to the XM chassis sticking itself on every sidehill. :(

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
This is likely one place where the Poo does have a real mechanical advantage over the Doo.
our baby needs to go on a bit of a GIRTH DIET in the Gen 5 release...
Yup, kinda makes no sense that Doo provides a narrower front end with the same porky panels and girth. Seems like another band-aid move.

I would still be interested in the narrower front end, just run it centered like my current one.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yup, kinda makes no sense that Doo provides a narrower front end with the same porky panels and girth. Seems like another band-aid move.

I would still be interested in the narrower front end, just run it centered like my current one.
Wanna make a bet that the GEN5 we see rolled out next February has NEW SIDE PANNELS that NARROW her girth a couple inches???

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
For what it’s worth, I just snow checked a poo turbo. And as far as the chassis goes, it’s basically the same as an Axys, just with narrower panels. Both front and rear suspensions exactly the same. This will likely be the chassis for the next 4-5 years. But, it has a bunch of other things that make it special and different for next year. And I understand that a lot of those things have been on doos for years. Much respect. Polaris just takes a while to catch up I guess. What I’m getting at is, doo could have just repaneled the gen 4 and you guys might have been singing praises for it. Rightfully so. It would improve the sled greatly. The wider body is one of the things that has kept me from buying one. But then you’d be like poo and cat, on some older chassis sled with a different body for the next 5 years. And I’m not complaining as the Axys is arguably one of, if not, the most capable backcountry sleds ever. And the new mountain Matryx is taking it much farther. But I’m thinking doo will turn out a completely new bad boy for 2023. Not just a repaneled gen 4. Fully narrowed up body, redesigned front suspension, upright the steering, boost turned up and hopefully find a way to shed a few lbs. (poo gained a few some how) Possibly even something with the rear suspension. They’ll be right back pushing the industry again.?

T
Aug 8, 2011
Any other unreported changes to the 2022? Besides the narrower front end what other little improvements are there? I heard rumor of a new heavier clutch arm? What else? Is the 2022 gonna be one of those sleds that skidoo pulls occasionally where they are basically the same but end up performing a fair bit better?

Premium Features