• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expert 165

T
Aug 8, 2011
Well I got my first ride in today on the new expert. I can honestly say that this is not an overhyped sled in any way shape or form. I have been lucky enough to have some really good working sleds over the years, but this thing is a nearly flawless overall package. It gets on the snow so quick it’s hard to believe, has a better chassis balance than any skidoo I have ever had and generally is just a riot to ride. Nice job doo

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Well I got my first ride in today on the new expert. I can honestly say that this is not an overhyped sled in any way shape or form. I have been lucky enough to have some really good working sleds over the years, but this thing is a nearly flawless overall package. It gets on the snow so quick it’s hard to believe, has a better chassis balance than any skidoo I have ever had and generally is just a riot to ride. Nice job doo
Have you ridden previous Gen 4's and if so you feel it's that much better than those?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

T
Aug 8, 2011
I have lots and lots of time on 850 summits. I still have my 18 175 and my brother has a really well setup 17 165. Had t3, xm and xp sleds before that. The expert is substantially better than any of those other sleds. I don’t understand how it gets on the snow so quick, it makes a substantial amount more power, chassis handles so much better it doesn’t seem like the same sled at all. It’s a highly anticipated sled and I would not have guessed it would be as good as it is.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I have lots and lots of time on 850 summits. I still have my 18 175 and my brother has a really well setup 17 165. Had t3, xm and xp sleds before that. The expert is substantially better than any of those other sleds. I don’t understand how it gets on the snow so quick, it makes a substantial amount more power, chassis handles so much better it doesn’t seem like the same sled at all. It’s a highly anticipated sled and I would not have guessed it would be as good as it is.
Mine is at the dealership, will get after Christmas when I get back into town. Like I wasn't already chomping at the bit lol. Was hoping it responded power wise better than my 17 as I was disappointed in that sled and understand it got dialed in much better in latter years. Surprised to hear about the handling and getting up on the snow difference. Thanks for the post, counting the days.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Thx. for the review. Just got my ibackshift clutch kit installed, and can’t wait to give it a test ride. Were you running stock clutching, or something else?

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
have 2 rides on my expert 165. Put a 19 165 up against mine and the expert gets on top of the snow better than the 19 probably from snow getting out of the tunnel faster and limit strap. Also with the limit strap loose it is an animal and will wheelie over without much effort.

T
Aug 8, 2011
I was In Revelstoke.
The first day was stock clutching. Second day slightly more weight. One thing is for sure, it’s making a sizable amount more power this year and it works substantially better with very similar clutching...I would have said that’s not really possible but none the less that’s the case.

day 2 was more impressive than day 1. This thing is a no BS hotrod. I currently can’t ride it to potential.

TallCan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sierra Nevadas
Just wanted to throw it out there since people are looking at this. Looking for WTB Expert 165 if anybody needs to back out of snow check of knows of any dealers. Thanks. Yes I’ve got something posted in swap meet

B
Feb 18, 2009

I think you need to get back on your 850 Summit. Sounds like the first ride of the season excitement! First of all it has the exact same engine and drvietrain yet according you it puts out substantial amount more power. Yeah, Ok... And as far as the chassis goes it's basically the exact same thing other then updated running boards and shorter tunnel. I'm sure the fancy shocks help in some conditions. Sounds like Norna make a second snowwest profile to me!

U
Feb 3, 2019
I think you need to get back on your 850 Summit. Sounds like the first ride of the season excitement! First of all it has the exact same engine and drvietrain yet according you it puts out substantial amount more power. Yeah, Ok... And as far as the chassis goes it's basically the exact same thing other then updated running boards and shorter tunnel. I'm sure the fancy shocks help in some conditions. Sounds like Norna make a second snowwest profile to me!
Sounds like your a poo rider to me lol

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Somebody is mad because they haven't rode yet.
On a little side note, sleds run better every year even though they have the same motor and chassis. Even though the factory doesn't tell you they did anything. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt. His experience.
I get why you hate dave norona. He goes sledding while people are working. That's wrong. He promotes a sport that he loves which gets more people into it to trample snow that should have been yours. That's wrong.
He loves his job. That's wrong.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Somebody is mad because they haven't rode yet.
On a little side note, sleds run better every year even though they have the same motor and chassis. Even though the factory doesn't tell you they did anything. Just giving him the benefit of the doubt. His experience.
I get why you hate dave norona. He goes sledding while people are working. That's wrong. He promotes a sport that he loves which gets more people into it to trample snow that should have been yours. That's wrong.
He loves his job. That's wrong.
If I had to guess someone might be looking for a date.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Not my first or second ride of the season dude...the first two rides I rode my last years 175 turbo. During the day I switched off onto 3 different 2019 and 2018 175 and 165 summit sleds. Expert is stupid amounts better. Go learn to ride one and you too will be impressed.

Premium Features