• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Expensive snowmobile clothes worth it?

C
Mar 15, 2018
Nothing wrong with a onesie, all the cool riders wore them in the 70' & 80's. Like the mullet, it's just a style thing. Today it's all the rage, 10-15 years, the. everyone has been wearing them for quite awhile, someone will come out with a new "bib/jacket combo and that will be all the rage again.

M
Dec 11, 2019
I think it pencils out to purchase quality gear, considering that it is not unusual for guys to get 5+ years out of Klim bibs. 5 years of warm, dry, comfortable is a pretty solid value. I have all kinds of ski equipment and most of it is not in the same category as far as durability goes, especially my back-country ski gear.

As for ****ting in gear, let's be honest: how many guys here would have to go commando if we never wore a type of equipment again due to one little accident. I'm afraid I couldn't be that selective and still be clothed enough to leave the house. In my defense, I thought it was a fart. But I didn't blame my shorts for the unfortunate incident.

D
Dec 24, 2014
Sucks for right now but if you keep your eyes peeled for deals you can generally pick up stuff in the off season for a good deal. Some black friday type stuff or end of season when clearing out last years designs. If you need a complete gear set up and on a budget look at picking up some gloves(use ski gloves as back up and for trail in and out) and a helmet and goggles now for this season. Rock your snowboard or ski boots(did this for a couple years and they work) and other ski gear till you can replace with sale stuff. Going mostly to my motorcycle days but dont buy a bargain helmet. Fit and quality are worth it if its on you all day. But can save good $ buying a quality last years model. If cant try on or buy from a place that has good return policy and dont be afraid to send a couple back till you get it right. Id probably lean to matching the same companys goggles and helmet if you cant try em on together. Ive also splurged for carbon fiber lids and have had regular ones(mostly motorcycle but did just pick up a carbon lid this year for the sled). They are noticeably lighter and if you have the coin go for it but they are not game changing liter. 509 stuff aint bad. Have some of their stuff and klim but most of my stuff if motorfist that I have picked up on screaming deals from their site.
This^

Buy summer gear in the winter and winter gear in the summer.

Got a 509 monosuit this last summer for $300. It's kinda fugly but a big step up from my ski clothes in terms of durability and I've been staying dry. Also this should be obvious, but definitely don't use ski boots for sledding, haha!

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
This^

Buy summer gear in the winter and winter gear in the summer.

Got a 509 monosuit this last summer for $300. It's kinda fugly but a big step up from my ski clothes in terms of durability and I've been staying dry. Also this should be obvious, but definitely don't use ski boots for sledding, haha!

Yes. Definitely fumbled my response. Snowboard boots ok if on a hard budget and thats what ya got. Ski boots not so much lol

brantd

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
get a quality base layer,mid layer and a quality uninsulated windproof gor tex shell.i use under armor for mid and base layers with klim shells.its pricey stuff but lasts and works well.same with gloves,carry a heavy set for the cold days but the goal is to stay dry and wick moisture,and not be all weighted down with heavy gear that holds heat,sweat.boots,im motorfist fan.they feel like regular lace up work boots.along with moisture wicking socks.the MF boots are comfortable to drive in at the end of the day also.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Well I guess it's time to pay the piper...tore my ski bib leg pretty bad today when I got stuck under the dang thing. So there you have it....but I ain't ready for a Nascar onsie so I'll try a pair of 509 bibs cause iam having sticker shock with klim lol.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have a Klim coat that I started wearing in 2010 or 2011 that's still serviceable today, just has a patch of Velcro coming off around one sleeve cuff. On the second set of Klim bibs to go with it. Wore the first set out on the inside of the legs where they rub the seat/tank/tunnel. From what I've seen "cheap" sled gear (coats and bibs) will get you 2-3 years of service, high end 5+. Depending on how many days you get on the snow a year and how hard on things you are of course. Someone that wants the latest color ways buying cheaper and more often makes sense I guess or if only using it a few times a year.

Picked up an Arctic Cat brand onesie last year on sale to try the concept. Compared to bibs and a coat the temperature regulation is more even since the air can move between top and bottom easier. Seems a bit cooler temperature wise to me. Have a couple friends that thought the same. All my gear is non-insulated by the way. Keep a dry mid layer in my tunnel bag in case I need it. I'll probably keep using the monosuit for warmer days and go back to bib and coat when it's colder.

Side note: I've totaled up how much money is tied up in both my sled and motocross gear bags... I would cry if someone stole either one.

C
Oct 5, 2019
I used to rock Carhartt jacket, snow pants, and water proof Menards-special snow boots. :ROFLMAO: Bought snowmobile specific jacket/bibs many years ago and was worth every penny. 2 years ago got the onesie/monosuit and not having all that tension around your gut/waist was so freeing. Able to move much faster and not be "limited" in your movement range.

Fad or not, I love my onesie and choose it over jacket/bibs any day.

C
Mar 15, 2018
2 years ago got the onesie/monosuit and not having all that tension around your gut/waist was so freeing. Able to move much faster and not be "limited" in your movement range.

Fad or not, I love my onesie and choose it over jacket/bibs any day.
Added mobility would be a HUGE incentive for me. I don't care how goofy they make a guy look, if I can get better mobility I am in. I will check them out. Thanks.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’m confused why wearing bibs and a jacket creates tension around your waist as stated above?

My bibs are suspended on my shoulders and in no way bind to my waist.

Red Stripe

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2010
Slick City, UT
We have a saying in my family for sledding, dirtbiking, camping, outdoor stuff in general- "it's all about the gear". Quality gear is worth every penny to me as time outside is more valuable than buying cheap crap and having trips/weekends ruined due to things failing, especially when you have kids in the mix. I have 5-6 year old Klim gear for sledding and have had it through countless trees, roll overs, whiteouts, super cold days, muff pot spills, etc. and it just keeps going with no issues. Grew up ski racing and still ski quite a bit, mainly sled ski anymore, but ski gear is a different animal to me. It's good stuff if you buy it right but built different than sledding gear- e.g. taking it through the trees at 20 mph and hitting thicker branches you can't avoid (i suck in the trees...) would shred it as my Klim stuff just shrugs it off. What I consider ancillary stuff- gloves, helmet, goggles, quality ski gear works just fine. I have a pair of Marmot deep weather leather gloves that are at least 5 years old that still work perfectly for me, hence, they stay. But at least for me, jacket, pants and boots are sledding gear specific and worth the cash.

On a side note, I do get aggravated at a lot of the sled gear that has their Nascar logo **** slathered all over the gear. I've looked at a lot of stuff I think I'd like but having a 4' logo over the front in obnoxious marketing B.S., just turns me off. (I know, Klim does this too but they do have low key stuff which is what I buy). If I'm going to advertise your gear for you, you should give me a discount.... Dirtbike gear is the same way. Maybe I'm on to a business opp here, no logo....

Oh, one other side note- since Polaris bought Klim I hope they keep the quality up and not go to the more volume for cheapness for more sales route. Old outdoor guys like me remember when North Face was actually superior stuff but now it's just REI sell more units/volume please. Lots of arguments on both sides around this (shareholder value) but as I type venting feels good. :p

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
I'm 43yr (took a chance on a 509 Stoke Mono-suit for the first time). Season 2 in it and couldn't be happier with my suit. Fits great (plenty of range of motion) and performs amazing- light weight. I highly recommend it. Maybe if you are super over weight, short or tall they might not be the way to go. I'm 5'11 165LBS and the medium fits like it was made for me. Good gear is very important IMO.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Well with the "supply chain" deal, I can't find a stitch my size or I'd buy one just to poss my wife off lol. I was surprised how burley they ate! Only thing I don't like is how heavy everything is because it makes boarding and skiing a little harder lol! Bad time to be "average " height and weight=sold out/backorder!

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
as the old saying goes you get what you pay for, buy cheap get cheap. Been using Klim for 13 yrs and love them, bought a second coat 5 yrs ago for late spring riding. Klim has 3 levels of insulation, friggin cold, cold and none. I personally have 3pairs of gloves on me at all times, 1 pr for ride in/out and then 2 pairs for riding. Sled gear is way more robust. like a Timex. takes a lickin keeps on tickin

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
We have a mix of 509, Tobe and Klim in our riding group and everyone likes what they wear. I ride with Tobe gear and find it extremely durable and waterproof. However, if another manufacturer has a color or style that I prefer, I would definitely check it out. When you buy higher end gear, every manufacturer has something that is designed and built well, it really comes down to preference. Lots of people like FXR, but to me it looks like we are all at a Nascar Race when I see it.
Shows how current you are. Modern FXR of mine is all black with grey trim.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Iam new and have just been using my ski clothes but can't help but notice and kinda want cool kid snowmobile clothes. Do you guys think they are worth the money and are they really that much different than skii clothes? Are the onesies awesome to wear? Why do you guys want onsies? Is it because of the mobility or the danger of back country vs the resort or what? I was in the dealer and finally looked at them and was pretty blown away by how bomber it was but man spendy!!! Tell me what ya think. Tell me what brands are sleepers or deserve respect or why not. Thanks
Yes.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Been hearing really good things about tobe? I've meet the regional rep too and he's pretty cool guy. Hows their reputation ? Q bit more expensive than others. Iam a odd body shape too and will take a special size.

I
Feb 23, 2021
Alberta Canada
I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam and the Tobe pants fit great. I would just try to find a place to try everything on before purchasing if possible.

I have the Tobe pants, jacket and boots, but preferred the 509 helmet and went with the FXR heated gloves. I may go onesie next year and it will most likely be Tobe or Klim, but I have been reading about some Klim quality issues this season.

Premium Features