• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust leak-Nytro

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Here is the damage.

IMG_5738.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5744.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

Last edited:

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
to be honest I would start over with a new header....who ever welded the piece on to begin with was to close to the junction....that whole thing is scrap iron IMO....start fresh for a fresh season....if it was march 1st and you had a couple more rides fine....but its alot of work to be doing it again when the snow is deep and your pi$$ed off cause it broke again...New headers are easy to come by from impulse guys and alpine guys.....plus did you tack it in place in the machine?? with everything lined up?? If not its never gonna fit anyhow I wouldnt think. When you do it from new you have to bolt it all together and tack and then remove and weld properly.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Surfaces where so jagged it only fit together one way. I will try the reinstall next couple of days and see how things line up.

If it comes apart again I will start over.

Later.

PS I plan to throw some anti-seize on that joint between the header and turbo.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
my 2008 nytro header is cracked in the same spot....totally stock non turbo 2100 miles

Wow....

I assume you could tell by the extra noise it made? I have added a tunnel dump exhaust to mine, no turbo and have not had any issues on my 08 nytro. I beat on my sled pretty good too.

I might have to take a closer look.

Sep 28, 2009
My 08 cracked too. stock header with aftermarker silencer. It cracked on bottom right where the 3 pipes get close together. did some research and sounded like a lot of people having issues so i went aftermarket.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
3 hours later and got the exhaust and turbo buttoned back up. Things where a bit tighter but there is some wiggle room with everything loosely bolted. Should finish up the rest tonight and fire her back up.

If it lasts another 3k I will be happy and more then likely onto something new anyway.

Later

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
If it lasts another 3k I will be happy and more then likely onto something new anyway.

If it lasts 300kms I'll be surprsed....thats the worst by far I have ever seen....did it still run? How much boost was it pullin? If you dont have any exhaust leaks I will be surprised.....maybe the 2010 header will be the one to start with...has anyone priced one out?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
There was only one small exhaust leak mark on the tunnel. Pulled full boost, never had any symptoms. Honestly if I didnt swap skids I would have assumed it was fine.

If anything it should spool faster.

I am also guessing that once the pipe was warm it was expanding and had minimal blow by.

Who knows its back on track for now.

Tues

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Wow....

I assume you could tell by the extra noise it made? I have added a tunnel dump exhaust to mine, no turbo and have not had any issues on my 08 nytro. I beat on my sled pretty good too.

I might have to take a closer look.

I had sled apart anyway and i just happened to notice it....was not making any more noise. glad it did because it was cracked about 70 percent of the way around. would have broke off probably another 100 or so miles. Once again this was totally stock....exhaust never touched.

Premium Features