• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Erratic temp reading

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Put the first ride on the new 21 850, noticed on the way back, when riding down the trail the temp was all over the place from cold to 100 very erraticly. At idle it would hold steady temp.anyone seen this?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Last year known problem with the temp sensor, it was a Polaris Bulletin, maybe for some unforeseen reason you got an old sensor. Play with the wires that come off the top of the sensor and see if you can get it to mimic the problem.

D

DV-ENT

Mar 27, 2009
Calgary
It didn't effect mine as it started happening on the trail out after a day of riding and changed out before the next ride. that being said I was told that it could throw the sled in limp mode which would not be good especially in the back country. Maybe call your dealer and confirm that's actually the case.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Got another ride on it, seems to only do it when the temp gets down in the lower 90s then starts freakin out. So i dont thinks a broken wire or something like that seems like more like the sensor is bad.

D

DV-ENT

Mar 27, 2009
Calgary
yah thats what mine did, as soon as it went down to 100 or under it would spike to 170 and many other erratic numbers. replace it and be done with it.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I picked one up at the dealer, i dont have time for them to do it under warranty

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
It didn't effect mine as it started happening on the trail out after a day of riding and changed out before the next ride. that being said I was told that it could throw the sled in limp mode which would not be good especially in the back country. Maybe call your dealer and confirm that's actually the case.
It definitely puts it into limp mode yup. Mine was flickering on me back in revy on a deep day. Held together enough to get out but wouldn't of been fun if it went out altogether. Soon as I touched the wires when I got it home they both broke off

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The wires on mine sled are bent over an zip tied down seems like asking for an issue

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
Haven't had a issue with my 20 850 Khaos with 234 miles but called dealer about sensor price. Original part # is still available for $20. New superseded # now is $80 which must be used on 21's now. Ordered the superseded one just to be safe not to ruin riding time.;)

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Got it replaced, the bad senson has a yellow connector, and wire was bent over and zip tied down, new sensor has white connector and wasnt zip tied. The bad sensor was broken where the wires go into the sensor

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had the same thing the other day on my 2019. I have never done any of the map updates. SLP trail can and clutch kit. Sled ripped all day. But on the way out in the cold and dark, the temperature jumps to 77 degrees when I do full pulls. As soon as I let up it goes back to the 90's.

So, is this sensor the same sensor that connects to the head? The reason I ask is I can't find it on Babbitt's. I do see a sensor that is the det sensor. I thought the det sensor did more than just coolant temps. Here is what I found with the links...

Babbitt's Online 2019 850 Det Sensor

EDIT: Removed wrong image, added below.

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I had the same thing the other day on my 2019. I have never done any of the map updates. SLP trail can and clutch kit. Sled ripped all day. But on the way out in the cold and dark, the temperature jumps to 77 degrees when I do full pulls. As soon as I let up it goes back to the 90's.

So, is this sensor the same sensor that connects to the head? The reason I ask is I can't find it on Babbitt's. I do see a sensor that is the det sensor. I thought the det sensor did more than just coolant temps. Here is what I found with the links...

Babbitt's Online 2019 850 Det Sensor

View attachment 365162
Its the thermistor, dunno why its called that, but thats it

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Its the thermistor, dunno why its called that, but thats it

Yep, just figured it out today. Thanks. And the answer to my own question is there are two sensors on the head. I didn't see them until I pulled my pipe and can. I just didn't look hard enough and assumed there was one. My wire to the sensor was completely clipped off. If you ride in a group of 840's, this is a good extra part.

Part # 2415756 K-sensor Thermistor.

Thermistor Sensor.PNG

Premium Features